1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FLAC vs WMP?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dusktillafterdawn, Jul 4, 2013.

1. dusktillafterdawn

dusktillafterdawn Member

I recently tried to play .FLAC files in Windows Media Player and got the old "This file type is not a support format blah blah blah..." message.

I had Flac 1.2.1b installed already but did a fresh uninstall/reinstall just to be sure. Still won't play in WMP.

I could have sworn that in the past, as long as I had the .exe installed with the FLAC front-end, WMP would play FLAC files if I associated it with the player. Now none of them work.

Am I wrong? Isn't the point of installing the 1.2.1b program is for decoding of FLAC files in players like WMP?

I'm on Win 7 64 with WMP 12 if that makes any difference.

2. Ryoohki

Ryoohki Member

Have you tried any other media player? If you have the proper codec installed WMP should play it fine. I haven't used that program in a very long time for audio though (or video for that matter). I use AIMP3 for audio so...

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I do believe version 1.3.0 of the codec has been released try updating it.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Search software section for windows codec or just go grab klite full as that will install all the codecs you require & will give you option to run WMP or it's own MPC.

while your at it might as well get vlc (i.e videolan) as well as that'll pretty much cover you for any video or audio file.

vlc has skins you can download as does another of my favourite players called xion which is ideal if all you want is to play music as it's very small,more skins for xion can be downloaded at wincustomize.com

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. Mez

Mez Active member

I agree with the rest. WPM is getting near the bottom of the barrel I think the only worse app is itunes. The two junkers probably account for 80% of the computers. Their draw... even my dog is smart enough to use them if he hard poor taste.

The other poke I must make is Flac? Your equipment might not even be able to faithfully reproduce 160 BR tunes unless you are using head phones or good ear buds.

5. Ryoohki

Ryoohki Member

I like to download flac files even though I'm not an audiophile per se. I just convert in different bitrates for whatever I happen to be playing it on. On my pc I play the flac files if I have them but I use dbpoweramp to convert to (much) lesser bitrates for my phone and cheap jvc earbuds :)

Anyway I still recommend another audio program (nearly anything is better than wmp) there is foobar2000, aimp3, i still have winamp 5.x on my desktop. There are many more, I'm sure, but those are the 3 I like.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Ryoohki, try Phillips you can get ultra high fidelity for cheap. Try to get the 6Hz - 20kHz ones. They can be had for 7-15 USDs. You can feel the below 20 Hz if you are using in-the-ear buds. By the way in the ear buds are the highest fidelity you can touch for under many thousands of dollars.

As I was saying about lossless and losy check out So you KNOW you can hear the difference between lossy and lossless.

The reason you keep lossless is for archiving. Anyone that claims to be able to hear a difference between good lossy and lossless is just fooling themselves. Unless the music is classical guitar or violin SOLOS there will be no difference even if you are 5 years old and capable of hearing a 20,000 Hz tome. If you can hear a difference and there is NO difference what does that make you?

Now even I can hear the difference between 120 BR and lossless but that is low quality lossy.