AfterDawn: Tech news

Time Warner Cable recommends customers use Aereo to get CBS programming if new re-transmission deal issues are not resolved

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 22 Jul 2013 7:50 User comments (5)

Time Warner Cable recommends customers use Aereo to get CBS programming if new re-transmission deal issues are not resolved

For those outside of its coverage area it may not be a big deal, but Time Warner Cable and CBS are in an ongoing battle over licensing fees to re-transmit the network's channels and programs.
If the dispute is not settled, CBS is expected to pull all of its programming from the major cable operator. Time Warner has argued that CBS is trying to renegotiate the fees at a rate 600 percent higher than the last contract, a massive jump especially for programming that is free with a digital antenna.

TWC has also threatened to recommend that all of its NYC customers (many millions) try Aereo if CBS does pull the content. Aereo allows users to watch free, OTA content on any mobile device along with a free remote DVR. Aereo does not pay any re-transmission fees as it uses tiny digital TV antennas for each user in its own facilities and links to the streams.

The company could certainly use the backing of a major cable network, as it has faced significant backlash since launching in 2011. Last year, CBS, NBC, Fox and other smaller broadcasters filed a copyright suit claiming unauthorized access to their content. So far, two federal courts have sided with Aereo.

Aereo is available in New York, Boston, Atlanta and Chicago and costs $8 per month.

Tags: CBS Aereo twc
Previous Next  

5 user comments

122.7.2013 20:19

TW just raised my cable bill an extra $10.00 a month. No way im paying that. Also they are charging us about $4.00 a month in internet modem fees. There is a class action lawsuit because of that.

Does anyone no of a decent antenna i can purchase.

222.7.2013 21:45

They had a similar problem 3-4 years ago.

322.7.2013 22:26

Originally posted by davidl1l:
TW just raised my cable bill an extra $10.00 a month. No way im paying that. Also they are charging us about $4.00 a month in internet modem fees. There is a class action lawsuit because of that.

Aereo :)

423.7.2013 12:41

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by davidl1l:

Aereo :)
Yea i read about Aereo but i think you have to live in certain cities to get that.

524.7.2013 10:52

I have Aereo and it is great.I dropped my cable immediately and i went from paying 60 a month for my cable to 8.00 a month. Of course Aereo is less channels but I never watch a lot of cable channels anyway.

My cable also went up 10.00 a month which was an influence. Whats good about Aereo is free DVR service. i'm charged 11.00 per month by my cable company for the DVR service and Aereo is free.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive