AfterDawn: Tech news

Canonical unveils Ubuntu Edge smartphone via crowdfunding site Indiegogo

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 22 Jul 2013 8:11 User comments (11)

Canonical unveils Ubuntu Edge smartphone via crowdfunding site Indiegogo Canonical has unveiled their upcoming Ubuntu Edge smartphone.
The company has put the device up via crowdfunding site Indiegogo and is looking to raise $32 million in the next month, a huge task.

Here is the full spec list:

Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
64 x 9 x 124mm

Canonical says the device will be your main PC anywhere, no matter whether you are using Android or Ubuntu for mobiles thanks to the recently announced Ubuntu for Android app.

The first 5000 buyers get the device for an intro price of $600, unlocked, along with a shoutout on Canonical's founders page. After those are bought up, the phone will set you back $830. As of writing, the company has raised $2.24 million.

Read about the phone and potentially pledge, here: Indiegogo- Ubuntu Edge

Previous Next  

11 user comments

122.7.2013 21:21

Why go with top-of-the-line CPU and then skimp with a mediocre screen? By the time this thing is in customers hands, all the other flagship phones will have moved onto 1080P, if they haven't already.

223.7.2013 03:37

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
By the time this thing is in customers hands, all the other flagship phones will have moved onto 1080P, if they haven't already.

1080p is not even worth in 45" screen, let alone 4.5". 1080p in small screens is nothing but a marketing gimmick, your eyes can't just differentiate it (unless you are an alien). since HD conveniently starts at 720p (in fact, you can call it an HD if it is 576p), it is perfect for screens ~5".

323.7.2013 04:46

Quote:
1080p is not even worth in 45" screen
That is for a TV across the room, not all screens. For example you can bet that someone can tell the difference between a 1080p and 1444p if I'm only a foot or so away.

But in relation to a phone screen, yes. 1080 would be over doing it.

423.7.2013 06:37

Originally posted by Rebel11:
For example you can bet that someone can tell the difference between a 1080p and 1444p if I'm only a foot or so away.

you are right, i should have mentioned about the distance, too; however, the standard distance of watching standard TVs is ~ 8 ft according to (medical) studies, so i won't count 1-2 ft at all. :)
in addition, in most scenes, one can't tell the difference even though one is 1-2 ft away, if blind studies are done.

523.7.2013 12:33

Furthermore, the more pixels, the less processing power is free to run graphics and effects =) .

623.7.2013 20:09

I was kickin' myself for just buying a new cellphone after seeing this, but then realized they don't plan to ship until at least May of next year. That's a pretty long time...

723.7.2013 22:02

Originally posted by mukhis:
:)
in addition, in most scenes, one can't tell the difference even though one is 1-2 ft away, if blind studies are done.
No way I believe that. Not for one second. I can tell the difference between in pixels per inch on larger screens. I mean, sure, cellphones not so much, but monitors? Oh yeah. A 24 inch monitor looks way different than a 27 inch monitor at the same resolution.

823.7.2013 22:13

I can tell the difference in specific circumstances (say, when large block type is on the screen), but honestly, 720p on a 24" is fine in my opinion, and 1080p is just dandy up to 55-60" or so.

Huge DPIs are fine, I guess, but when the individual pixels are already finer than is easily perceptible, you're just overloading the CPU/GPU, nothing more. It all starts to devolve to gadget-peen.

A more significant issue in my eyes, especially for a system intending to be more of a full PC in capability, is the lack of 802.11ac. Other than that, however, the specs are quite good and the ability to use Ubuntu right out of the box is VERY nice. I also note that, while it seems to lack MicroSD from this short description, it also has 4GB RAM and 128GB storage.

I want one...

924.7.2013 02:52

Originally posted by Rebel11:
No way I believe that. Not for one second. I can tell the difference between in pixels per inch on larger screens. I mean, sure, cellphones not so much, but monitors? Oh yeah. A 24 inch monitor looks way different than a 27 inch monitor at the same resolution.

it's not question of being able to tell the difference, question is how definite and realistic the difference is, and how attentive you are "just to figure out the difference". in real life, if i put quality 720p and 1080p encodes (from the same source) in two monitors of the same size, say, 42", and make someone watch them from 8-9 ft away, i am sure he will fail many times to differentiate if i ask him to find the difference in 10-12 different parts of the video.
the fact is unless you put your entire attention to find the difference, the difference is not visible, specially from practical standpoint. finding difference may be easier for 50-55" though.

1024.7.2013 07:40

Originally posted by "Bozobub":
Furthermore, the more pixels, the less processing power is free to run graphics and effects =)

Not quite so, since the phone should be able to perform smoothly at 1080p resolutions on external displays ;)

1127.7.2013 09:09

If I had the money now I'd buy it.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive