AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft drops price of Surface Pro by $100

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Aug 2013 4:27 User comments (8)

Microsoft drops price of Surface Pro by $100 Following the across the board $150 cuts to its failed Surface RT tablet, Microsoft has announced it will be discounting the more popular Surface Pro by $100, as well.
The cut is good for the 64GB and 128GB models and is valid until August 29th.

So far, the cuts have been confirmed for U.S., Canada, Hong Kong and Taiwan, with all other regions expected to see the cuts at some point.

The 64GB model now sells for $799 and the 128GB sells for $899.

"We've been seeing great worldwide success with Surface RT pricing and keyboard-cover promotions over the past several months and are proud to offer Surface Pro at more affordable prices starting today," says Microsoft.

Previous Next  

8 user comments

14.8.2013 17:17

Apple sold 14.6 million iPads in the last quarter.
This is certainly good news for Apple. So good, in fact, that it sees no reason to change.
Henry Ford certainly did not change car models: "People can have the Model T in any color - so long as it's black."
Nor was IBM in a hurry to shift gears from its hot-selling Selectric Typewriters.
Ditto for Kodak, that never even dreamed of leaving its lucrative film business.
Exactly how does one argue against present success -- the good and plenty that’s here and now?
Apple investors certainly see no need for concern. And didn't someone say technology stopped evolving after Steve Jobs?

24.8.2013 20:42

WOW 899 DOLLER'S

IS MICROSOFT ON POT AGAIN

I CAN GET A IPAD FOR 300.00 ONLINE NO 300.00 SURFACE NO THANK YOU

34.8.2013 21:34

megadunderhead, knockoff the caps lock as per forum rules.
9. No ALL CAPS MESSAGES or you will be banned (you know, turn the caps lock off before you type anything).
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

45.8.2013 01:35

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
WOW 899 DOLLER'S

IS MICROSOFT ON POT AGAIN

I CAN GET A IPAD FOR 300.00 ONLINE NO 300.00 SURFACE NO THANK YOU
HUH?

WOW, DUDE.

Well you know Pot is now legal where M$ lives. Hell even one of there executives is now trying to be the #1 distributor for pot in the U.S.

So, ya I think they have been smoking a lot of pot there, well something needs to explain Win8 :)

55.8.2013 09:14

sorry about the caps lock and true true i think microsoft has been dipping into some hash oil as of late

65.8.2013 11:12

Just because you may do pot or hash/oil or any variant of, doesn't make you stupid. They can be stupid and are stupid without it. Example any pot smoker would be smart enough to realize that even after their new discount it'd be stupid to buy a Surface. It's $ better spent on munchies.

75.8.2013 12:51

I can get a much more powerful and superior functioning laptop for $900 to $700. WITH 1TB or 500gb HDD, 4gigs or more of ram memory, HDMI port, CD/DVD burner, printer hookup, and much bigger HD screen. Why would I buy a toy for that much? Even Apple....whom I despise knows that a tablet is NOT a laptop so they price iPads at $300 to $400.

88.8.2013 07:06

The Surface Pro is not a tablet, it is more of a small full functioning ultrabook with optional keyboard attachment.

Most people never use 128gb of hdd space and if so they have an optional 64gb sd to expand. If you need to print you have a usb 3.0 connection but really are you really still physically connecting to a printer... hmmmm... With the hdmi port, you can easily hook up a bigger screen.

I think it is silly to compare the iPad and the Surface Pro, on the other hand if you are talking Surface RT you are right on to compare. With that being said, I was highly disappointed when prices were announced on both devices at the same time it didn't stop me from investing in them and have been happy ever since.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2013 @ 7:07

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive