AfterDawn: Tech news

Grand Theft Auto V: Don't install play disc on Xbox 360

Written by James Delahunty @ 18 Sep 2013 11:39 User comments (5)

Grand Theft Auto V: Don't install play disc on Xbox 360 Rockstar Games has advised owners of Grand Theft Auto V on Xbox 360 not to install the Play disc on the console's hard disk drive.
The Xbox 360 copy of GTA V is spread across two discs. The first disc acts only as an install disc, and cannot be "manually installed" in the same way that other Xbox 360 games can be. Once the install is finished, the gamer is prompted to insert Disc 2 to continue, and after a few moments the install will be complete.

This second disc is the Play disc you need to insert to launch the game. Unlike Disc 1, you can manually install the second disc in the same way that you can manually install any other Xbox 360 games. However, if you are doing that to boost performance (as is the case with other games), then Rockstar is advising you to hold off.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," Rockstar Support said on Twitter on Monday just ahead of launch, promising more details after the launch.

The issue probably arises from the HDD being used to retrieve data from the installed Play disc, and the installed Disc 1 simultaneously, which might make using the DVD drive for the Play disc the optimal choice.

Either way, there doesn't seem to be any reports yet of performance problems from installing the disc, but the game has only been out over the past day.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

118.9.2013 12:59

Like I been reporting on other sites: I don't appear to have these issues on my first gen 360, so likely only happens on slims. Since I don't have enough consoles to prove my theory, still proceed with caution.

218.9.2013 13:26

meh xbox xD

318.9.2013 13:56

Why should it require a disc at all... shouldn't rockstar have made the install an all or nothing affair? Isn't microsofts big plan with the Xbone to do away with them entirely?

I don't know how they programmed it for PS3 but I assume it allows a full install from a single bluray disc.

419.9.2013 00:29

Quote:
I don't know how they programmed it for PS3 but I assume it allows a full install from a single bluray disc
Nope, there's only like 2 games that do full install: I can't quite fathom the reasoning why Sony doesn't let users do it if they wish too, considering its the same amount of space if you buy it digitally.

However it's good to note the same issues on 360 occurs on PS3 as well if you downloaded the PSN Store version, since it has no disc you must full install. Rockstar is currently encouraging future consumers to purchase disc based copy until a future patch can be released to fix the issues. - Source IGN.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Sep 2013 @ 11:21

525.9.2013 01:51

i'm confused it says they recommend us not to install disc 2 but to fix xbox 360 old consoles it says we have to install disc 2 then play what should i do?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive