AfterDawn: Tech news

As expected, BlackBerry posts heinous earnings report

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Sep 2013 11:59 User comments (3)

As expected, BlackBerry posts heinous earnings report A week after the company pre-announced some parts of their quarterly earnings, the company reported another three months of heinous sales.
For the fiscal Q2 2014, BlackBerry had just $1.6 billion in revenue and reported a loss of $248 million. Revenue was down from $2.9 billion year-over-year, an almost shockingly high drop.

The company sold just 5.9 million smartphones to end users, and sadly most of them were older BlackBerry 7 devices, such as the Bold, which was released over two years ago.

Last week, BlackBerry announced it would take a writedown of nearly $1 billion due to an excess of Z10 inventory.

"We are very disappointed with our operational and financial results this quarter and have announced a series of major changes to address the competitive hardware environment and our cost structure," said CEO Thornsten Heins.

Previous Next  

3 user comments

128.9.2013 09:32

Two phrases come to mind when I hear about BlackBerry:

"Resting on your laurels"
"Too late to the party"

They just assumed business users would keep using them regardless of what happened w/ other 'consumer' phones.

228.9.2013 12:05

I don't think so I just think there isn't many hardcore business users that are using or require a phone that needs to play games etc.

I own games on my phone but I don't bother to play them as they all seem like a waste of time to even bother with on a phone much like facebook games are pretty pointless overall.

I know guys who want a phone that will do at least 24 to 48 hours of phone talk time all iPhone and android phones can't do that so they have to put up with s**t phones that can't last more than a few hours and need to be on a charger most of the day so to them they aren't mobile phones.

Then have problems trying to get an iphone to connect to an exchange server and you have the same problems with android phones in terms of connecting to a exchange or apple software if needed.

People knock the black berry phones but for hardcore business users and when I say that I mean the guys who are using them to ring up people all day long to connect people about the news about big time projects like 100 to 500+ million projects, so need to contact people all day long and do data stuff on the side as well no matter where they are in the world.

Iphones and Androids are the 1 2 in phones right now and that's fine but they aren't business type phones by any means.

I big problem for Black Berry is that the hipsters are more into what the newest phone trend is rather than what's good for a user and they will be the ones who want to connect their iphone to some exchange server so the IT people have to piss around trying all this stuff to get it working and overall it just causes more problems than what it's worth, but people would rather bad solutions to problems rather than use stuff that will work properly.

I think Black berry will come good they are still 3rd I think but with MS having bought out Nokia they will have a hard time trying to keep beating them.

A lot of these profit falls are due to the OS taking so long from their last new report.

But that is all over now.

330.9.2013 17:19

"Writedown" is a new term.

Meaning "loss"

Nonsense words and total BS to make BB look less like the anti-innovative losers they have become.

Oh yeah.......the long-winded comment preceding.........Jibberish

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Sep 2013 @ 5:20

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive