AfterDawn: Tech news

Toshiba to cut 3000 jobs from struggling TV division

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 30 Sep 2013 11:28 User comments (5)

Toshiba to cut 3000 jobs from struggling TV division Toshiba has announced today that it will layoff 3000 from its struggling TV division, a full 50 percent of the employees in that division.
In addition, the company will end production at two of its three overseas factories. It was unclear whether its factories in China, Indonesia or Poland would be the ones being closed.

Outsourced production would be increased by 100 percent, and 400 staff members that are being moved to other business units.

Toshiba's TV division has been losing money for two years straight due to weak sales for new devices in Europe and also at home, in Japan. The company recently announced it would cut back over $100 million in costs between its PC and TV divisions in 2013, and then double that figure next year.

Tags: HDTV Toshiba
Previous Next  

5 user comments

11.10.2013 16:07

This unfortunately is all too often, the precursor to the decline of the biz.

Hope not. Toshiba makes genuinely good quality products.

22.10.2013 17:08

Completely disagree. My #$@$ Toshiba DLP TV (ok it was old) went through a new bulb every 9 months at $200 per bulb. After buying 2 bulbs which died after 9 months, I gave up and just recycled the whole TV, even though all it needed was a new (overpriced) bulb. But at that price and short life, it made more sense for me to buy a new LCD or plasma. I also had a Toshiba laptop die after about a year (just out of warranty). I have other laptops that are still running years after I bought them (even though they are slow now). I won't be buying any more Toshiba products. There are a huge number of online reports of problems with Toshiba products dying prematurely. Good riddance.

33.10.2013 05:16

Toshiba use to make decent tv's and laptops in the 90s they were 1 of the biggest companies in japan. I know i've used the tvs and laptops in the 90s. Don't know wtf they did but i looked at 1 of there lcd tvs a few years ago and it didn't look good,from some of the comments i've seen they have gone downhill with there products badly, could be something to do with products being made outside of japan.

43.10.2013 12:45

you know,now that i think of it,i dont know a soul with a toshiba tv.in the process of walking thru various electronic stores i have no recollection of seeing a toshiba tv.not that there werent any mind you.it is,to me,not name i associate with tvs anymore.

514.10.2013 10:50

I don't have a new tv yet because my 17ish year old 32" Toshiba is still cranking out a great picture. It is a big hunk of a piece of furniture though. It had PIP but about 10 years ago one of the tuners quit and the repairman said the part was not available. She's been limping along with just one brain left just fine. They do run adds for the new Toshibas, but I don't know how or if they are any good.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive