1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only USB 1.0 port functions on laptop.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wheelstb, Oct 5, 2013.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I had to reformat my laptop. I have three USB ports. Two USB 2.0 and one USB 1.0. In the past when I have reformatted the hard drive only the one USB 1.0 port worked until I installed the chipset drivers.

This time, I reinstalled the chipset drivers on several different occasions, still I was not able to get the other USB ports to work. Then, I tried to update the BIOS as a last ditch effort.

I am particularly in a pickle because I rely upon speech recognition software to do my typing. That requires a USB headset. I do not like using the touchpad, I need to use a USB mouse. With only one USB port functioning I can either use my speech recognition or the mouse but, not both.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17r. I do not remember the exact model.
    It has an i5 processor with 6 GB RAM and a 5400 RPM hard drive. Windows ultimate is the OS.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Use intel downloads not the comp maker,would pay to uninstall the usb drivers before updating,it may also be necessary to delete chipset drivers & start from scratch or perhaps rollback using system restore before you attempted update,

might pay before deleting the drivers to install drivermax or similar free driver backup utility

also install easeus todo backup & start using it to create system images

your recovery partition should have chipset drivers there

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

wheelstb, what happened to your recovery partition?

4. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks for the advice. For some reason, it never occurred to me to use the drivers from the manufacturer not Dell.

Quite honestly, I forgot about the recovery partition. One of the reasons I initially did not think about it is because I don't like all the initial junk that Dell puts on the computer.

I was going to create an image as soon as I got everything up and running but, then I ran into a problem with the USB ports.

Thanks

5. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

it's there, honestly, I just did not think about it.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

dummy.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

check your all programs list with any luck there will be an option for software & hardware drivers recovery