1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best free software to convert video files to VOB while maintaining HD quality?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Delta_01, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Delta_01

Delta_01 Newbie

Hello all, I am sorry for posting this, I have searched but havent got the answer that I am looking for.
    I have several HD videos in different formats (mp4, wmv, etc) the videos are 720 and 1080. I am looking to convert these to VOB files to burn with DVDShrink, I have been using DVDVideoSoft but it seems the max it converts it to is 480 quality.
    Is there a free program that might convert the 720 & 1080 video files (mp4 & wmv) to VOB files at their original 720 & 1080?

I have used DVDFlick but it seems it takes forever to convert the files, Super8 worked for a while but then started throwing errors.

I use DVDShrink to burn the VOB files and it works fine.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

I have a PC with WIN

2. attar

attar Senior member

DVD movies are either 720x480 (NTSC North America) or 720x576 (PAL Rest of world).
    They are interlaced (480i or 576i) made from film which is progressive.
    While you can make a DVD from a HD video source, it isn't going to have the same perceived quality.
    An upconverting DVD player with a progressive TV can get back some of the quality.

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.40

AVStoDVD is a good freeware choice as it's updated frequently and the author responds to requests for help.

3. brandonyork359

brandonyork359 Newbie