1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progress made towards the 100mbit problem?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Phyrus, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Phyrus

Phyrus Guest

This is an old link i dug up on google, from January.

Seems the 100mbit problem might be solvable?

http://kontek.net/kontek/console/bbadebug.shtml

(btw.. i was searching for PSOLoad 2.0a, which I still haven't found... anybody know where i can find it?)

2. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

wow, seems like a hoax but who knows. I'm not familiar enough with the whole process to know how to impliment that. I just always use Cubesoft Phoenix for all my streaming. It would be great if someone who knows how to read code and can test this out for us would tell us if this really works!

3. YM2151

YM2151 Member

It's real, setting the mode of the BBA isn't that difficult. However it doesn't really matter, the people making the "Animal Crossing Loader" are all gone now. The poor performance is all on the gamecube side, not the PC side. The PC recieves and sends very basic packet information to serve the iso. Anyone that knows how to use UDP could make a program to work with the ACL.DOL files. But that's not the problem, the problem is a new DOL executable needs to be programmed which is faster and takes advantage of more recent knowledge of the GameCube.

I think the main reason nothing has been done is simple. No one capable is interested. I think they'd be better off looking to make a DOL executable to start a "backup" disc.

4. Phyrus

Phyrus Guest

won't be any 'backup disc' playing until we find a way to burn Gamecube Optical Discs, which i don't see happening any time soon.

But yes, I think you're right, we need a new serious group to take on the .dol problem.

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I feel like this should be accomplished already making a backup of a GameCube game.I am patient,but face it this game system is just like the dreamcast.I have noticed that PSO (Phantasy Star Online) is used to stream the games with or make a iso with.I think the boot disk or as you call a modchip will be just like the Dreamcast method.They are different discs right,but what is difference from the method they both use.I seem to see it as broadband adapter with phantasy star online using a already built program from the DCdev department readjusting it to read GameCube files.I also think if we all looked at the Utopia boot disk that you could get for dreamcast that this would also tell us alot on how to get it to work.I might be wrong and will probably get the it aint dreamcast answer back,but it still is functioning like a old dreamcast system.If I had the time to mess with making a GameCube program I would look into the dreamcast programs.I still see Sega in the picture of GameCube so there is no doubt that the dreamcast method is in affect.I hate to say it,but I doubt somebody will look into it.I think if there was a GameCube modchip it would also be placed on the motherboard in a spot similiar to the dreamcast modchip also.There is no way of saying yeah this will work or not,and there are currently no modchips that are real for the GameCube that I know of.The 100mbit could all be fixed right as YM2151 has mentioned on the computer side,but look at the dreamcast dev programs to see if there is a program for that will run off the system.If I had the knowledge of doing it myself I would do it,but I don't know alot on the GameCube dev tools to do anything on it.Anyways the 100mbit is right and there will be another program that will come out to fix the GC side.It is just probably gonna take more time than we all think.I agree with looking into another group to work on it.I like the work that comes from the GCdev groups right now,but it is just coming to us all really slow,and might not see alot from the groups later on since they seem as if they are giving up on it.If anybody is willing to try I still say look at the old dreamcast system,but look further into the future though as in streaming a working iso file readjusting the dc streaming program.It has flaws in it as all programs do,but that program was built by somebody that was actually willing to work on it.I also think the settings will be as the dreamcast method also using a dummy file to make up the space left on the disk since the GameCube sounds funny everyonce in awhile just reading originals.The settings for the burn will probably be MODE 1/DVD,TOC will be as dreamcast method CD-ROM/DVD-ROM,and on the Misc side Post Gap for 3rd party images is a not.If I am wrong then who cares,just trying to help out.The main issue is there is nobody that will look at.

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The Gamecube and Dreamcast are very similar systems, however, as an old hand at making Dreamcast backups, there is one significant differenct between the two. The Dreamcast was a CD-ROM based machine that played GD-ROM game discs whereas the Gamecube is strictly proprietary. Bootdiscs for the Dreamcast were only possible due to the Dreamcast being manufactured with the ability to read CD-ROM's. Note that the final run of Dreamcast consoles manufactured had the CD-ROM capability stripped out of them which put an end to Dreamcast piracy once and for all for those machines (just like the Gamecube). The main problem I see with regards to streaming to the Gamecube is getting the stream in sync with the speed the Gamecube wants the data at. 10Mbit appears to be too slow while 100Mbit appears to be too fast. It's only theory but I calculated the bandwidth from the Gamecube's optical drive to the system bus to be about 24Mbit so it's very well possible that the bus simply can't reliably handle a stream faster than that. Perhaps a way could be found to set the BBA to stream at 100Mbit and set the PC to throttle the stream back to 24Mbit?

7. Phyrus

Phyrus Guest

There's also talk of a new laser being manufactured that will allow the gamecube to read mini-dvds instead of (or as well as?) Gamecube discs. With a little careful modding one might be able to burn games all they want.

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Hey, maybe Nintendo's "Revolution" machine will use vinyl instead of optical discs. That'd be good for a few laughs.

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah true the Dreamcast did use Cd-Rom.I am thinking though what about the Panasonic Q machines though.They can read Dvd an so forth.If it can read a movie on it.There is a possibility of getting that to work right???I think there might be a chance with that not sure though.That would be tight though to see somebody make the stream run at 100mbit and have the PC recieve it at 24mbit.Yeah I heard that also that the GameCube runs at 24Mbit.I think that would work with a emulator man.If you streamed a game to your computer at 100Mbit to the emulator right on the PC side you could make the emulator run at 24Mbit in the background somewhere.Then you make the iso file from the PC end and it should work.I don't know sounds like a thought.I heard about the drive that is about to come out also,but I also heard they might not come out with it we will all just have to wait and see I guess.

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The Panasonic Q machines incorporate 2 optical readers. One for Gamecube discs and another for DVD movies. I would imagine that Nintendo for security purposes would have the machine designed in such a way that the DVD lens could not be used for playing Gamecube software. This way, even if somebody did come up with a boot disc or something it still wouldn't work. I've heard of lots of different ideas in the works for booting backup disc such as a patched BIOS that would be stored on a pair of memory cards that would boot when the machine was powered up, a possible modchip to patch the firmware to train the machine to read DVD format discs, replacement drives, etc. but none of these ideas have yet to prove themselves.

11. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

I keep hearing you guys go off topic and call it a hoax, but did you actually try this program???????????

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Yes I have. It either works but performace is worse or the game resets communciation back to 10Mbit.

13. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

I see, that sucks. You are using PSOload 2.0? right?

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Yes, I use PSO Load 2.0 when I tried it.

15. YM2151

YM2151 Member

Woah. We have some misinformation here. First of, GameCube games are Mini DVD-ROMs. A mini DVD holds 1.35GB, funny enough, so do GameCube discs as that's what they are. What is different however, GameCube discs do NOT use a standard file system. Also, the disc is designed so normal DVD machines will not be able to read it. This is not hard to do.

16. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It seems to me like I see it that way also a Mini DVD-Rom,but they are produced on special discs which are not Dvd-Rom,they are GD-Rom.I think if somebody decrypts the disc in the way it reads then yeah it is possible to make a backup.I am still gonna look into the old dreamcast dev tools,even if they are based on cd there is a way to make it where cd can be converted to dvd.The best thing to look for is a program that lets you view all the files inside of the image.I seen this before it was called DCdisasm for the DC side.I opened it up with I think Animal Crossing or something like that and it lists all the LBA of the files along with misc files such as ? right beside them.It does show some of the files though which is kinda odd to me since DCDev tools are old.I think they are noticed as media files which is kinda odd also.This is what I see when I open it up with the old DCdisasm program for Animal Crossing NTSC that is:

0x8c010002 03 04 BSRF R4
    0x8c010004 14 00 MOV.B R1,@(R0,R0)
    0x8c010006 00 00 ??? - right here is where it lists a I don't know what it is but it does give the file LBA.

It keeps going on for a long time,but doesn't that seem odd that it gives you something like that when you open up a image file from GameCube.

17. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

You all are forgetting or maybe choosing rather to also forget the fact that a conventional optical drive like those found in the dreamcast and in your computer read from in going out and the gamecube is oposite of this (reading outside in) this presents a bigger problem.

18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Nah the Dreamcast reads the disc outside in man.This is why I am looking at the Dreamcast really close.You can exploit both of the systems with Phantasy Star Online and the broad band adapter.The problem here is actually getting the GameCube to actually read the way the discs are made.If it was possible to readjust the Utopia disc so that it will be able to load on the GameCube this would be a big help.I think the best thing to do now is look at the GC Disc Server V1.2beta.This program is able to read the GC roms from cd/dvd discs.If this was adjusted to fit in the memory card.It might be able to crack the GameCube into reading the disc inside of the system.This is just an idea might be a way to help backup a GC game.The other problem is creating the roms the right way.It is possible to burn a disc from the outside in such as the dreamcast method.I also agree with Icemonkey on how the GameCube reads the games at 24Mbit I also heard this not just from Icemonkey,but from The_One.This is very complicated right here getting a game to continue to stream at 100Mbit on GameCube side and the PC adjust it to 24Mbit at least I think so.

19. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

near the end of the dreamcast scene there was no need to even use the utopia disc if you remember. I have a couple spindles of dreamcast games that don't have to be loaded using the utopia boot cd. I think your right on as to identifying the problem though. And that is that nobody who is capable of doing this really has any desire to do so. They are all busy with xbox and ps2 mods. It seams to me that there are enough serious programmers out ther to do something about this if they really wanted to. Mod chips for all the other systems seamed to be avail before the consoles hit the shelves. I truly believe that if the right people found interest in the gamecube scene that we wouldn't have to be doing anymore of this streaming shit! Anyway, just my 2 cents.

20. i0wny0u

i0wny0u Member

i dont have a game cube nor have I ever used one but based on what you are saying about it reading from the outside in couldnet you just reverse the data before it is written? i mean the disk would be written from end to begening. (as the game cube sees it) yes you would have to use a program on the computer side but it might just solve your problem