AfterDawn: Tech news

BlackBerry abandons sale, takes investment instead with CEO stepping down

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Nov 2013 8:35 User comments (5)

BlackBerry abandons sale, takes investment instead with CEO stepping down The BlackBerry circus continues.
After failing to find a buyer for the entire company, BlackBerry has announced it has scrapped its tentative $4.7 billion plan to go private and will instead remain public with a new $1 billion investment from multiple shareholders.

CEO Thorsten Heins will be replaced, and is stepping down immediately with John Chen taking over on an interim basis. Chen was the former CEO of Sybase Inc.

The company's stock collapsed 17 percent today, following the news that it would sell $1 billion of convertible debt to large shareholder Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. and a number of other institutional investors. Fairfax owns 10 percent of BlackBerry already, and will buy at least $250 million of the new convertible debt. Fairfax had offered $4.7 billion to buy the company in September but it is clear that that deal had some issues.

As part of the deal, CEO Heins will step down and make way for Chen, who will also become chairman. Chen says he needs "a little bit of time" to build a workable plan for the company, but it wants to be a business-focused service. "Obviously there are a lot of assets there," Chen added.

Chen took the nearly bankrupt Sybase from the brink of extinction to a $6 billion company by 2010 when it was acquired by SAP.

"I am pleased to join a company with as much potential as BlackBerry," concludes the new CEO. "BlackBerry is an iconic brand with enormous potential--but it's going to take time, discipline and tough decisions to reclaim our success."

Previous Next  

5 user comments

14.11.2013 22:24

I think it's inhumane to prolong torturing this beast. Hasn't it gone on long enough? Do the compassionate thing and end its suffering already.

25.11.2013 08:14

Quote:
I think it's inhumane to prolong torturing this beast. Hasn't it gone on long enough? Do the compassionate thing and end its suffering already.
Although it stands to reason it has no chance to compete against the likes of Droid or Apple mobile devices; you forget that they also still have millions of consumers that rely on their phones. It's not like they are losing $ either, they still have billions in cash reserves to keep the company strong for a couple of years.

I found the main issue with their latest release was their pricing. For the lack of specs given it's supposed to be a smart phone to compete with droid, $500 for a dual-core in this generation of smart phones is a joke. That's what killed them. It should have been half that, if that. If they were smarter still, they should have handed the phone out for free and charge only for the OS and apps.

Either or, my point is, just because they are no longer the leading brand, doesn't mean they can't still co-exist. Should you not like them, here's a thought: ignore their existence, including articles like these.

38.11.2013 16:37

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:
Although it stands to reason it has no chance to compete against the likes of Droid or Apple mobile devices; you forget that they also still have millions of consumers that rely on their phones. It's not like they are losing $ either, they still have billions in cash reserves to keep the company strong for a couple of years.

I found the main issue with their latest release was their pricing. For the lack of specs given it's supposed to be a smart phone to compete with droid, $500 for a dual-core in this generation of smart phones is a joke. That's what killed them. It should have been half that, if that. If they were smarter still, they should have handed the phone out for free and charge only for the OS and apps.

Either or, my point is, just because they are no longer the leading brand, doesn't mean they can't still co-exist. Should you not like them, here's a thought: ignore their existence, including articles like these.
Those millions of consumers who still rely on Blackberry are called "morons".

48.11.2013 22:53

Originally posted by bdaleypsu:
Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:

Those millions of consumers who still rely on Blackberry are called "morons".
No, they're called Businesses, including the employees of entire Cities, including mine. BB's are still widely used by large & small corporations alike and IT departments still prefers them over other smartphones for various reasons. The only "morons" are those that think all BB users are consumer level morons.

511.11.2013 20:48

My BB Z10 has got to be the best phone ever. Jumped from a Samsung to the Z10 and will never look back.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive