AfterDawn: Tech news

"How much money can you make with Spotify?" - Finnish artist answers, with exact monthly details

Written by Petteri Pyyny @ 07 Nov 2013 3:18 User comments (5)

"How much money can you make with Spotify?" - Finnish artist answers, with exact monthly details "How much money you can earn with Spotify?" is the question that has popped up during the past couple of years. Some big name artists have pulled their music from Spotify, blaming extremely bad revenue shares and even labelling Spotify as the main reason for the music industry's decline. However, nobody has come out with the exact figures to back up that claim -- or disprove it. Until now.
Anssi Kela, a Finnish singer-songwriter, released his hit single "Levoton tyttö" earlier this year and he wanted to share his Spotify income details with his fans. He did it by drilling down the figures by month, and differentiating them to revenue coming from Spotify Premium, Spotify Unlimited and Spotify's free version.

First of all, he wanted to note that the revenue he got paid actually includes all the streaming revenue from all the streaming services where his song has been played. However, as other streaming services are virtually non-existent in Finland - with the song being in the Finnish language and with Finland being one of the first countries to actually get Spotify - Spotify stands as the de facto equivalent of music streaming services in the country, so it is fair to say that the figures represent revenue from Spotify, with maybe approximately 1 - 2 percent of the revenue coming from other services.

Here are the monthly figures for this particular song:

March, 2013
186,317 streams
€458.70

April, 2013
415,353 streams
€878.60

May, 2013
300,524 streams
€618.30

June, 2013
156,119 streams
€381.3

Total
1,058,313 streams
€2,336.90

So, for about one million Spotify plays, the artist received €2,336.90 (appx. $3'160), equivalent to €0.002 / $0.003 per playback. At this point, Mr. Kela wanted to note that his contract with his record label is much, much better than what new artists would get. He estimates that his cut of the revenue would be as much as 10 times higher than what a new artist would get (as he has been popular artist in Finland for more than a decade now).

His details get interesting, when he breaks down the revenues between free and paid service on Spotify. Here are the details for April, 2013:

April, 2013

Spotify Free
220,571 streams
€79.90

Spotify Premium and Spotify Unlimited
194,782 streams
€798.60

Those figures reveal that while the track received marginally more plays through the free version, the actual income was ten times higher through the paid versions of Spotify. In his case, this means that the stream playbacks via the paid versions of Spotify earned him about €0.004 / $0.0055 per playback and the free version only earned him €0.00036 / $0.00049 per playback.

Mr. Kela's message to his fans is that he doesn't want the world of physical CD sales back, but wants people who use the Spotify and similar services to start paying for the service, as that way, the artist you listen to also benefits.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

17.11.2013 08:09

The problems from a consumers perspective we already pay Spotify what we believe is appropriate and this is in line with what Spotify think they can get for the service. I am in the UK and pay £9.99 ($16.06) a month. For what I use I would not pay more, I could buy one new CD a month for this which means I could really have all the music I would buy within a year or so.

I guess the problem really comes where I have tracks I would listen to on Spotify but would never actually buy.

27.11.2013 12:39

***YAAAAAWWWWWNNN***

37.11.2013 15:51

"Waaah, I don't make quite as much profit as I MIGHT make," he snivels. Yet, he DOES make a profit. Snivel fail.

His alternative is getting absolutely zip from piracy.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Nov 2013 @ 3:51

48.11.2013 16:54

"Spotify Free
220,571 streams
€79.90"
Those streams are probably from the people you used to pirate music so I wouldn't be complaining.

512.11.2013 10:56

There are tons of artist on Band Camp who make 10 times that while also uploading it themselves on Pirate Bay. Spotify is a bad deal for artists.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive