AfterDawn: Tech news

Warez group spies on pirates who download cracked software

Written by James Delahunty @ 12 Nov 2013 4:56 User comments (11)

Warez group spies on pirates who download cracked software A Warez group has been exposed for collecting information on pirates who downloaded cracked software they released.
The group, "MeGaHeRTZ", has allegedly been including malicious elements in its cracks for popular software, including SmartFTP, DVDFab, FlashFXP, Incredimail, Traktor and BurnAware Professional.

Somebody noticed unusual firewall activity with a cracked version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and investigated further, finding that the software had been e-mailing information back to a number of addresses, all of which have account names containing some variation of the MeGaHeRTZ group name.

The information it sent back included the username, computer/drive serial from the Windows API, and the host machines's IP address.

All software they released has since been "nuked", but its all out there now.

Cracked software containing malware is nothing new, but its very rare that the malware is added by the originating group. Typically the malware is added later and spread on P2P networks, file sharing forums or BitTorrent trackers.

Tags: malware
Previous Next  

11 user comments

112.11.2013 10:10

Who in the world is dumb enough to put the NAME of their warez group on those emails..?! For the love of all that's semi-holy, that's just retarded.

212.11.2013 23:25

Who do they think they are? The NSA? lol

313.11.2013 10:25

No honor among thieves?

414.11.2013 10:24

Get back to the good old days when informal networks mailed 90 KiloByte 5.25 disks around.
No troublesome formalities with work-of-the-devil internwebs and such - and with the new memory on a stick formats, it also saves postage.

514.11.2013 12:19

They were 170KB floppies, if single-sided, for nearly all of the original 5.25" designs...

614.11.2013 13:54

Originally posted by Bozobub:
They were 170KB floppies, if single-sided, for nearly all of the original 5.25" designs...
I still have the Ti-99/4A expansion system.
The controller formatted singled sided 90KB disks;we would cut an extra hole on the other side and flip them to get another 90K.

Quote:
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF DISC FORMAT
A single sided diskette used with the T.I. Disc Controller has the following specifications:
Diskette type: SA 104 (ANSI standard 5.25")
Encoding method: FM single density
Capacity: 92l6O Bytes per disc
2304 Bytes per track
256 Bytes per sector
40 Tracks per side
9 Sectors per track

727.11.2013 22:07

Kinda ironic how a warez group is sending back personal information. This is definitely an indication that information is the new currency.

82.12.2013 03:02

90k floppies?.. remember having to iron DEC punched paper tapes which had been chopped into 12 foot lengths.. numbered in pencil and a direction arrow drawn on the bits.. folded up.. and mailed? .. those were the days......

92.12.2013 09:06

Originally posted by ps355528:
90k floppies?.. remember having to iron DEC punched paper tapes which had been chopped into 12 foot lengths.. numbered in pencil and a direction arrow drawn on the bits.. folded up.. and mailed? .. those were the days......
That brought me fond memories of dealing with punch cards. You had to get them right the first time, as there was no erase. You could always redo a punch card if you make a mistake, but that gets old fast. And then you had to keep them in the proper order as you loaded them into the card reader. Yep, pleasant memories. Those were the days... <sigh>

102.12.2013 16:33

Reminds me of the time when I was pretty young (11 or 12, I think), when I found a box of punch cards at my dad's girlfriend's company... And folded them into a "skyscraper", of sorts. I didn't know it was for an actual project =x; even then punch cards were VERY obsolete. Luckily, she (and the rest of the office) took it as a huge joke, and didn't murder me.

112.12.2013 20:19

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Reminds me of the time when I was pretty young (11 or 12, I think), when I found a box of punch cards at my dad's girlfriend's company... And folded them into a "skyscraper", of sorts. I didn't know it was for an actual project =x; even then punch cards were VERY obsolete. Luckily, she (and the rest of the office) took it as a huge joke, and didn't murder me.
That must have been pretty funny. Talk about the repurpose of data! ;-)

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive