1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX no sound

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Arpela1, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Arpela1

Arpela1 Guest

I have downloaded a movie and the picture is excellent but i have no sound, the movie is rather big 2x700Mb I have tryed to open it with several players but no differens.
    What shall i do??

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The problem you have is that the audio is compressed. This is easily fixed.

1. Download VirtualDUB http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

2. Open you movie in it.

3. Click Video and select "Direct Stream Copy".

4. Click Audio and Select "Full Processing Mode". Click Audio again and click "Compression".

5. Click "No Compression" and click ok.

6. Click File - save avi.

VirtualDUB may ask you for a codec and if it does post it here and I'll tell you where to get it!

The filesizes of the files you saved may be bigger than the originals but the sound should be working!!

3. pku33

pku33 Member

I've got a few vidoes with sound that won'tplay, and this looks like it might help.
    Well, it says I need a codec and I'd like to know where to get the one I need.

Thanks

4. seune

seune Guest

I'm sorry your solution does not work for me ;-(
    When trying to save VirtualDub complains with:
    'The requested audio compression is incompatible with the input format. Check that the sample rate and channel count of the input match those of the requested format.'
    How to check this?
    From Audion/Conversion it seems that i have 48kHz, 8bit stereo, if i choose a compression with those specs it still does not work.
    Anyone?

5. USAFNig

USAFNig Member

I get the same error as seune when I try to fix the audio problem with my avi. Does anyone have any ideas?

6. DVDtron

DVDtron Member

this sux i ripped a few dvds and then burned them.then when i was watching them i noticed that some of the vob files played the dvd audio commentaries, is there a way to change this back when i watch the vob files with out haveing to rerip

i found the problem, its because on CLADdvdXP 1.3 it gives you an option the choose which audio streams you want, i usuanlly just put english and sometimes i just leave all audio streams

any help would be cool

7. charlie-x

charlie-x Guest

I get the same error as seune and USAFNig when I try to fix the problem.
    I also have the same problem with a Xvid avi file...
    I followed the steps Dela suggested, but no result - anybody else plse? (by the way: I think DVDtron is missing the subjest here...)

8. javaknite

javaknite Guest

i had the same problem with a movie i downloaded .tried the virtualdub got the same error.but i did find a fix it is the nimo50build8 codecs pack.downloadedable at this sight.http://www.casey-online.de/deutsch/downloads.html

9. chrisw

chrisw Member

Sometimes this long way round works - go to Start, open the Run box and type "mplayer". That'll open Windows Media Player 2 (I think it's 2) ... Anyway. Open your DivX file in that, and you'll get an error - and in the window where the video's displayed it'll show up a rather cryptic error message, probably something along the lines of "codec missing: xxx" (where xxx is the system name for the codec). Then all you have to do is Google for the codec name, or - the easier way - install Total AVI Tags Editor, now known as ABCAVI (available from www.divx-digest.com) then in the FourCC section just scroll through the list until you come to the entry with the FourCC name that mplayer complained with.

Sorry if that's all a bit cryptic... But once you actually do it you'll get it.

I hope.

Chances are you either need the Fraunhofer MP3 codec or the DivX Audio Codec, you can get them both in one of many codec packages - I recommend something like the Tsunami Codec Package, again available from www.divx-digest.com (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/tsunami_pack.html). That may sort the problem.

Hope this helps,
    Christopher.

10. USAFNig

USAFNig Member

I cant believe how unhelpfull all this stuff I have been reading in these forums are. I have tried everything that EVERYONE in these forums has suggested and nothing ever worked. The simple fix for all audio issues is this...check the file info. look at the audio information, and do a search on google.com or something for whatever it is. I was having the tag2000 errors that a lot of other people were having, so I did a search for tag2000 on google, and found out in like 2 minutes that I needed the ac300 or ac200 (i forget witch it is) codec. i downloaded and installed the codec and fixed like 4 of my DivXs that didnt work. I should be a damn senior member!

11. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well jaysus arent you great. You know how to search the web eh?? I also see you saying how unhelpful all the stuff in these forums are. Well if it wasnt so big i'd tell you to read through it and realise the massive amount of people who have had problems solved using this forum.

And another thing, you talk about the forum as if its our job to help you. We don't get paid for this and the senior member status really means nuthin except you've posted a hell of a lot. Damn, I could post about trees and get a senior member status. So try to remember that help givin out here is because of the good will of the people who post here. Do you really think that what you posted will bother anyone who tried to help you?? I think not! Look around this site and see the people who post the most and see just how intelligent they are. People like dRD, CD-RW.org, Loaded, VCDJunkie, HomerJ, Wonderboy etc (If i left someone out, it's cause im tired, sorry:)). Now i dont know how intelligent you are and i dont really care either! but digital video related, any of the guys listed above would just crush your intelligence on the issue, you wouldn't even deserve the damn newbie status! So before you diss this forum, take a close look at what you're dissin.

BTW the reason I posted that is just to make sure that you know just how wrong the satements you made were. The divx audio subject comes up so much you wouldnt believe it. I have been here about 3 months and i see it at least once a day so people get fed up with it cause guys just wont look back over previous posts and find there answer (and dont even try to tell me that you went through every one of the 1000's of threads on this forum cause there is not a chance i'd believe you). Thats what the little handy search feature is for.

P.S. Don't even bother posting a cheeky reply like so many with that attitude do cause it won't bother me or anyone else on afterdawn!

12. USAFNig

USAFNig Member

Yeah that was pretty rude of me, but it just annoys me because I did look through TONS of the audio stuff and didnt find anything that helped at all, and everyone was so sure of their answers, so it was a big disapointment that none of it worked. I apologize for that last post, no cheeky reply here. Thanks for at least attempting to help!

13. chrisw

chrisw Member

There's always _one_ person who encodes their audio to ac3, ain't there. Damn troublemakers ;)

14. srwynn

srwynn Guest

I was having same problem. I downloaded and installed divx total pack 1.2 This installed all the audio codecs for divx and xvid. Then play the file in windows media player.

15. Kresh

Kresh Member

I tried all the fixes listed here, none work. There is no Media Player 2 in XP. And even the links posted dont work. This is a joke, im with the rude guy above!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  16. chrisw

chrisw Member

Well, you could always solve the problem easily by uninstalling XP ;) but too many debates/arguments are started like that.

;) (for the record, I'm for 2000 =)

Try this: it may be that the DivX has been encoded with multiple audio streams. To switch streams in DivXes with multiple audio streams, download and install the Morgan Stream Switcher (available from www.divx-digest.com). Right-click on the video window in Windows Media Player when the filter has been installed, and click Change Audio Stream, or in WiMP 6.4 (type "mplayer2" in the Run box to load it manually if you've installed Windows Media Player 7/8/9) go to the Play menu, then choose from the Languages submenu.

Boom, sorted. (I hope) :)

17. Kresh

Kresh Member

"Remove XP"? What a jack-ass!

I found out how to fix it on www.divx.com here is the post-

"Why can't i hear any sound?

Another common question...

first thing to check is if you have the proper audio codecs install, download a piece of software called gspot ( from www.divx-digest.com , under software) open your avi file in this and see what codecs are being used. If it comes up as not installed then its more then likely included in the Nimo Codec Pack if not then the other problem could be that its encoded with AC3 sound, two ways around this are either use a programme called bsplayer to playback your ac3 video content as it has an integral ac3 decoder or install one of the many ac3 direct show filters.
    If your still not getting any sound then double check in your sound properties that the sound hasnt inadvertantly become muted or turned right down (this goes for the "wave" output as well), make sure you hve the latest version of directx ( 8.1 - download from
    www.microsoft.com/directx ) and latest soundcard drivers."

The Nimo Codec Pack is what fixed it for me. I found it here - http://www.btinternet.com/~nimosiro/

I hope I have been more helpful then that loser who doesnt like XP, he probably really uses a Mac! lol

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  18. newbee101

newbee101 Regular member

try gspot program this will let you know which codec video/audio you need to play the file and shows if you have it installed

19. chrisw

chrisw Member

If I used a mac how would I be able to use Flask and get realtime encoding? Even with a Windows emu it'd be much slower. :p

I'm just someone who prefers system performance over pretty dialogs. And hardware drivers that work properly. And an OS that uses less than a gig of disk space. And an OS that doesn't WiMP 8 as standard. And an OS that doesn't have a murdered start menu by default (yes I know you can turn it off).

Urk, don't get me started ;) =D

GSpot came out the other day, I was about to mention it but you two beat me to it :) ... Nice one.

20. chrisw

chrisw Member

Oh, and I just thought of suggestion that you go download the Fraunhofer Audio/Video filters from www.doom9.org - somebody vaguely suggested that above earlier, but that's where you can download them from.