1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiencing Difficulty Using DVD RB and CCE? If So, Then Ask Your Questions Here.

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

(By Sophocles, Doc409, and 64026402)

[bold]I would like to thank Vurbal for his guide available here at AD, and the author of DVD-RB, jdobbs for giving us this wonderful application.[/bold]

The purpose of this thread is limited in focus: It is to provide a growing archive of problem fixes and essential information for both new and current users of DVD-RB/CCE. All other types of posts or uses (e.g., chat room) are strongly discouraged.

Posting Instructions for DVD-RB/CCE

1. Make sure that your question hasn’t already been answered in this thread.

2. Please state your question clearly so that it is to the point. Include any information you believe is important to finding a resolution to your problem.

3. Please provide your system specs at the end of your question using the following format: Operating System, File system (NTFS, FAT32), CPU type and speed, the Amt. of memory, and available free space on hard drive.

4. If you’re a user who has had a problem and found a solution to it, then please post it so that others can benefit from it. If possible, try to use a Q&A format.

5. If you are installing DVD-RB/CCE for the first time, please visit the AD guide for easy to follow instructions: Please make sure you’ve followed these instructions before posting.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm .

Important Links
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=31adef146285a358127b92e7ac199fee&threadid=74273

New links:

This is an excellent link from another thread that deals with a confusion between using CCE SP or CCE Basic. I wished it would've been posted here.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/97953

Another useful link, a thread started by Vurbal for testing ones DVD-RB/CCE settings.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88939

Threads we've crossed

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/97098

[bold]PLEASE READ THIS![/bold]

This thread was created to share information so that others might benefit from the obstacles that have already been overcome by advanced users. Sharing doesn’t always mean having the right answers it also means asking the right questions. Please refrain from sending Personal Messages (PM) to Vrubal, jdobbs, and the other names listed in this post. Sending personal messages isn’t sharing, it’s self serving and defeats the purpose of this thread.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

[bold]FAQ's[/bold]

[bold]Q-1: What is DVD-RB/CCE and why should I use it ?[/bold]

[bold]A-1:[/bold] DVD-RB/CCE is used where quality is the primary goal. It achieves results which the other transcoders can't. It is particularly useful with longer movies requiring higher compression. DVD-RB functions as an interface to CCE - which is known in many professional video circles as the finest commercial encoding engine available.

[bold]Q-2: DVD-RB works with both CCE Basic and CCE SP (the professional version of CCE). CCE SP costs $2000, and Basic costs $58. What is the difference? [/bold]

[bold] A-2: [/bold] Both CCE SP and CCE Basic use the same encoding engine. SP offers features that video professionals require, however, these features are not needed for purposes of making DVD backups.

[bold] Q-3: What system specs are recommended for using DVD-RB/CCE?[/bold]

[bold] A-3: [/bold] The same as for other transcoders … which is a Pentium IV class CPU, 512 MB RAM, at least 20 GB free hard drive space, and an operating system with the NTFS file system (Win XP/Pro or Win2K Pro).

[bold]Q-4: How easy is DVD-RB/CCE to use? I see posts about bitrates, settings, RB-Opt, IFOEdit, and other things that make it sound very complicated.[/bold]

[bold]A-4:[/bold] The 1st guide explains how DVD-RB/CCE can be easily set up just like any other 1-click transcoder. All you need are the source and destination folders, and some burning software. DVD-RB/CCE is also very versatile, so it can also be used with other tools as one becomes more advanced. Several of these are discussed in the advanced guide and in these posts.

[bold]Q-5: What kinds of files can be used with DVD-RB/CCE?[/bold]

[bold]A-5:[/bold] Decrypted files directly from DVD-Decrypter or Smartripper, or files can be used from re-authoring tools like DVD Remake/Remake Pro (which can use Shrink, Decrypter, or Smartripper as source files). Files can also be run through DVD Shrink with the "No Compression" setting to remove things like audio tracks

[bold]Q-6: What is DVD-RB's Batch Processing feature and how do I use it? [/bold]

[bold]A-6:[/bold] The Batch Processing feature is found on RB's File pull-down menu. This feature allows you to prepare/re-author several movies and save them as Project Files, and then group process them at a later time. The obvious benefit is that you can encode several movies while you are asleep ... or when you are off to work.

[bold]To use Batch Processing:[/bold]
    (1) Open Video_ts Source file.
    (2) Choose Working Path (destination) folder.
    (3) Choose "Save Project" on the File pull-down.
    (4) Assign a number and/or name to "PROJECT" in the Pop-up's file name box.
    (5) Create a unique Directory folder in which to save this project. Select with “Save In” pull down bar.
    (6) Repeat process for all files. (Note: Each Project File MUST have it's own unique Directory folder.)
    (7) Choose "Batch Processing" on the File pull-down. Then choose "Save" on the open pane.
    (8) Use the “Look In” window to choose the Directory folder that has the desired saved Project file.
    (9) Open this folder, double click on the PROJECT_.RBD file. It will add to the Batch Processing list.
    (10) When the Batch list is complete, press "Process" and then go to sleep, work, etc.

[bold]Q-7: Is there any benefit to making more than 2 passes?[/bold]

[bold]A-7:[/bold] Not very much. The industry standard is two passes. The first pass gets all the information necessary to properly distribute the bits based upon demand to reach a fixed quality level at a predefined average bitrate. The CCE manual makes it clear that nothing is gained with more than 4 passes.

[bold]Q-8: I am getting a #0003 or #0004 buffer overrun error. [/bold]

[bold]A-8:[/bold] This has been an illusive problem. This error is often the result of non-compliant data streams. This often happens with heavy editing/re-authoring, or when using more than one re-authoring application. Decrypted files that have not been changed should not produce this error.

Other fixes are OS/hardware related. One such fix required using the same HDD for the RB-CCE files and the Source and Working Path folders. Another required using HDD’s with the same RPM. It is also highly recommended to configure hard drives on the first IDE channel, and DVD Drives on the second IDE channel.

[bold]Q-9:. I received an error that my movie had angles that were not supported by RB. I clicked OK, and then began to encode. When I finished, the VIDEO_TS folder was empty. What happened?[/bold]

[bold]A-9:[/bold] . DVD-RB does not currently support angles or interleaving. These must be removed/edited by using a re-authoring program like DVD Remake/Remake Pro.

[bold]Q-10: Where can I download the latest version of DVD Rebuilder?[/bold]

[bold]A-10:[/bold] You can download from AD, however, check the following link for up-to-the-minute releases:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75452

[bold]Q-11: Where can I download the ECLCCE file?[/bold]

[bold]A-11:[/bold] Try this link: http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.me...home.t-online.de/home/340044300675/eclcce.zip .

[bold]Q-12: I'm using the trial version of CCE SP. It only takes a few minutes to encode all files, and then DVD Rebuilder tells me there's nothing to do.[/bold]

[bold]A-12:[/bold] You need to use ECLCCE to run CCE so DVD Rebuilder can control it. The trial version has no command line support, a requirement for DVD-RB. You can find the latest version of ECLCCE, along with instructions for installing and using it in this thread at Doom9: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46664

Once you have ECLCCE installed, and have successfully run CCE SP with it, make sure the field in the setup window with the location of CCE SP (New) points to ECLCCE.exe and not cctsp.exe

[bold]Q-13: I installed the EclCCE to use with the CCE trial in 1-click mode. I get this error message: "ECL is not an ECL for CCE Basic Trial Version"[/bold]

[bold]A-13:[/bold] You installed the CCE Basic trial version. Install the CCE SP trial. EclCCE only works with the CCE SP trial version. (Note: The trial version of CCE Basic will only encode 3 minutes of video per DVD-RB segment and is therefore unsuitable for evaluating the DVD-RB's output.)

[bold]Q-14: I received a DVD-RB error message about an “unknown file type.”[/bold]

[bold]A-14:[/bold] This indicates that AviSynth is not installed.

[bold]Q-15: I get an Encode Basic error message that "Frame size 1248x56 is not supported. Supported frame size is up to 720x576". [/bold]

[bold]A-15:[/bold] Make sure you have checked the box "Add to AVS file" in the DVD-RB Setup panel. This is next to the MPEG2DEC3dg.dll path box. Also make sure you have entered the correct path to the MPEG2DEC3dg.dll file.

[bold]Q-16: I am getting a different “Frame size” error message than the one above. What does this mean?[/bold]

[bold]A-16:[/bold] All Frame size error messages are related to an improper AviSynth installation. These errors have a XXXX x 56 format. To help determine the specific problem, open the D2VAVS output file in your Media Player. AviSynth will normally generate an error message in the form of a video clip that will help resolve the problem.

[bold]Q-17: What is the function of AviSynth in the DVD-RB-CCE setup? [/bold]

[bold]A-17:[/bold] AviSynth is what sends the frames to CCE. The resolution that CCE sees is whatever AviSynth sends it … as CCE would not be able to read this directly from the original DVD.

[bold]Q-18: After transcoding, I get this error: "Gdiploadimagefromfile failed: 3,"[/bold]

[bold]A-18:[/bold] Verify that you have installed the AviSynth plugin.

[bold]Q-19: I have DVD-RB .56b and CCE 2.50 SP installed. During the second CCE pass at 98% complete, I get this message: "fexp_close() failed. Unable to write file XXXXXXXXX.avs. There is not enough hard disk space. Windows error code 0x70 112."[/bold]

[bold]A-19:[/bold] At present this does not appear to be a DVD-RB/CCE problem. It is likely a corrupt Windows file. Try running a utility such as Norton WinDoctor.

[bold]Q-20: Halfway through my backup I came across a lip synch problem. What should I do?[/bold]

[bold]A-20:[/bold] This problem appears for some unknown reason every once in a while. Processing the files again has always eliminated this problem.

[bold]Q-21: Where can I get the DCDecode.dll file? [/bold]

[bold]A-21:[/bold] It is in the DGMPGDec 1012a.zip file that can be downloaded from here:
    http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/modules.ph...wdownloaddetails&lid=5&ttitle=*DGMPGDec_1012a

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  3. p200002

p200002 Member

This is related to doom9's Q&A

Q4. I set everything up -- but nothing seems to happen and/or I get video that is a black screen with orange/red lines at the bottom.

I did copied mpeg2dec3g.dll to my dvdrebuilder directory and set this path in rebuilder. I still got blank screen with red lines at the bottom.

dvd rebuilder 0.56
    cce sp 2.67
    avisynth 254
    dvd decrypter 3.2.3.0

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

p200002

[bold]Q-What do I need to do to make the trial version of CCE SP work with DVD-Rebuilder?[/bold]

[bold]A-[/bold]The setup for CCE SP is different than that for CCE Basic which most of the guides are based on. Vurbal added a section to his guides to help with the CCE SP setup. This is an extraction from Vurbal's guide available here at AD, and which I believe is the best CCE guide on the internet.

The link to Vurbals guide is below.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  5. p200002

p200002 Member

I read the tutorial. It didn't apply to me. Mine is CCE SP 2.67, not trial. I set the cce (new) path to where cctsp.exe resides.

Is it because I unchecked the first audio stream? There are 4 audio streams for vts_01

1: 6ch ac3 english
    2: 6ch dts english
    3: 2ch ac3 english
    4: 2ch ac3 english

I wanted to use dts only.

update: I just tried using stream 1 and 2 and the output is fine now. Now my question is how to only rip stream 2. I know I need to edit some files using ifoedit. Any one could guide me to the right tutorial?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2004
  6. brian100

brian100 Guest

Personally I would run the project through DVD shrink, dispose of the unwanted audio tracks then do a "No compression" backup. Then run this new project through rebuilder. I have used this method many times.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

@Sophocles, Doc409, and 64026402: I'm glad to see this thread. If possible I'd like to see Doc edit his post to add new questions and answers as they pop up so we can keep a single thread for listing the problems and solving them.

@p200002: Your problem shouldn't be from the missing audio stream, although I forsee a different problem relating to that. Since it's probably the default stream, if you remove it you probably won't get any sound unless you actually select one (either with a remote or from a menu). You could use DVD Shrink to remap the remaining audio streams, which I believe would make the DTS stream the default. The downside to this is that if you want to play it on non-DTS system you'll still have to select an audio stream to get sound. The only way to avoid one of these scenarios (AFAIK) is to use a program like IfoEdit or DVD Remake Pro to edit the structure of the DVD and make another stream the default.

Edit: I just re-read your last post and I agree with Brian that DVD Shrink may solve your problems.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

8. p200002

p200002 Member

I suggest someone modifies DVDRB+CCE tutorial to include "make any change/edit using DVD shrink 'no compression' before running dvd rebuilder". I have ripped DTS-stream only and now am waiting for rebuilder to complete. Thx, guys.

9. p200002

p200002 Member

It's me again. I have successfully created DVD backup using DVD Decrypter to rip files from disc, DVD Shrink to generate "no compression" files, DVD Rebuilder and CCE to transcode files.

Although the reduction level is 73%, the actual size is only 50% of the uncompressed size. I think it is because of the low bit rate, 4.3MB. Is there anything I can do to improve? Increasing max bit rate in ini file didn't help, I got error for every sector.

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Did you make any changes to your setup to adjust the file size? The Original setup usually shoots for 4.36 gb. I changed the rebuilder .ini file to change the output to about 4200.
    Did this backup include removing the audio files in shrink first?
    Are you using VBR since you have CCE SP. I have heard it can be hard to get the right size when using VBR.

Does the movie play?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald

[​IMG][/small]

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I have CCE basic so it is limited on the advice I can give if CCE SP is the difference. But If you backups are working I figure we can get the size problem corrected. With basic my backups are within 30 megs of the target normally.

12. vurbal

Here's another Q & A

Q: I'm using the trial version of CCE SP. It only takes a few minutes to encode all files, and then DVD Rebuilder tells me there's nothing to do.

A: You need to use ECLCCE to run CCE so DVD Rebuilder can control it. The trial version has no command line support, a requirement for DVD-RB. You can find the latest version of ECLCCE, along with instructions for installing and using it in this thread at Doom9: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46664

Once you have ECLCCE installed, and have successfully run CCE SP with it, make sure the field in the setup window with the location of CCE SP (New) points to ECLCCE.exe and not cctsp.exe

13. p200002

p200002 Member

DVD plays fine. Just the size is not what I expected.

I didn't touch CCE SP. I modified settings strictly based on afterdawn dvd rebuilder guide. I chose 6 passes in rebuilder. I didn't adjust CCETargetSectors mentioned in rebuilder advanced tutorial. However, I reauthored dvd using dvd shrink - no compression, main movie title only, DTS english only. Does this affect the bit rate?

14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

@p2000002. ...RE your suggestion to modify the RB-CCE tutorial to include Shrink "no-compression" files. I've changed the FAQ's above to indicate this. Thanks for the suggestion.
    @vurbal. done. Thx for the Q&A.

15. vurbal

@p200002: Are you using 1 Pass VBR. That can cause the size problem you have (figuring size in this mode is about 99% science and 1% voodoo) because size is predicted from a small sample of the video. This is the problem that 64026402 was referring to. If you use normal Multiple Pass VBR it shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes CCE can't find anything to use all the bitrate on, but I've never seen this lower the size to any less than about 4.1GB.

Edit: Your last post was while I was typing this. Since it apparently wasn't what happened I'm stumped right now. I've been trying to help someone else with a similar problem (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/97869#514884). You should look at my post in that thread about using RB-Opt to double check DVD-RB settings.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I guess 6 passes would rule 1 pass VBR out.
    Doing just DTS might affect the size output but it isn't something I have tried.

17. p200002

p200002 Member

OK, let's make things clear.

I used DVD shrink to get rid of DTS stream but left everything else not compressed.

When I clicked "prepare" in rebuilder, this is the result:

Transcoding...
    -----------------
    [23:31:32] Phase I, PREPARATION started.
    - "Half-D1/Half Space for Extras" mode is enabled.
    - VTS_01: 2,868,085 sectors.
    -- Scanning and writing .D2V file
    -- Processed 170,182 frames.
    -- Building .AVS and .ECL files
    - VTS_02: ...
    - Reduction Level for DVD-5: 58.0%
    - Overall Bitrate : 3,215Kbs
    - Space for Video : 3,643,518KB
    - Movie improvement from extra reduction = 11.1%
    - HIGH/LOW/AVERAGE Cell Bitrates: 4,266/100/3,215 Kbs
    [23:37:02] Phase I, PREPARATION completed in 6 minutes.

I suspect it is low bit rate that reduces my dvd size. Is 4200KB normal or too low? I will look into the thread that vurbal wa referring to.

to 64026402: what would you suggest for the vbr pass?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  18. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I personally like 4200 megs to keep away from the edge of the DVD because of poor handling and scratches.

I looks like the DVD size in rebuilder is set at 3,643,518KB which would make you come up short.
    If I'm reading your log correctly. You might try setting the size manually by adding the line in the rebuilder ini file like in the guide. Then see if it still comes up short.
    Add in under options:
    CCETargetSectors=2240000
    Should get you in the ballpark of 4300mb

I use 2100000.

19. vurbal

You can't really determine the quality based on the size or bitrate by themselves. What I do is consider the quality of the source and the size of the compressed video (not the whole DVD) to the original. In your case this appears to be 69.1% (58% overall +11% movie bitrate) which should be fine as long as the original is good quality. I've just finished The Last Samurai at 63.7% reduction and it looks great. I see that you have Half D1/Half Space For Extras turned on. Have you tried it with that turned off? If for some reason it's causing problems, you can always do what I do for half D1 extras. In fact if you follow the instructions in the other post you'll have the program you need for it. I just use the AviSynth Option for Half D1 on each title I want to use it on and then use RB-Opt to adjust the bitrates for different titles.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  20. p200002

p200002 Member

I actually used CCETargetSectors=2260000. I have no clue why the dvd size is so small 3.6GB!