1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Shadow" Copy of Folder Title Transferred, Or Something

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Yashichi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Yashichi

Yashichi Member

Yes, that's a very strange title, but I am grasping for answers and that is all that comes to mind.

This will not be easy to explain..

I was using a pq1 USB 3.0/2.0 16GB flash drive (Marked as 16A) [Yes, everything is marked and I have clear records from way back and today's activities were all being recorded.] -- so I'm using flash drive 16A to archive a folder of images on one computer (Computer_A). When it was all finished I took it out of that one and put it in another computer (Computer_B) here at my work station to check something and then I removed it. It had a corrupted file from an 08/30/2013 archive task. So on Computer_B I wanted a second computer to check the bad folder was showing as bad. No problem, because 16B (marked as), another pq1 flash drive, had a copy of that folder, also.

I unwrapped 16B (protective wrap I put on it) and put it into Computer_B to check that folder that was no good on 16A.

I hope you are following me, so far. So the folder on 16B was okay, BUT!

Much to my surprise the only other folder on 16B had a new title. The title of the folder I had just archived on Computer_A and had then put into Computer_B.

The contents of the folder was not changed, but the title was.

So after getting over my shock I then starting checking very carefully that the contents of either flash drive had not changed and then I did a whole bunch more screen shots, and I am not playing a joke on anyone.

This is an absolutely true story and I would like to know if anyone has any idea how this could have happened?

I can prove this happened because when I do this archiving work I always keep records of everything and I have all the records.

But in my many years of using computers, and I still have my TRS80s, I have never had anything like this happen to me before.

This is my first public post asking anyone about this. This happened about 2 and 1/2 hours ago.

Oh yes, the title. I am thinking the only possible explanation is that the title of the folder in the first flash drive, 16A, that I put into Computer_B must have stayed on some section of my harddrive associated with that drive letter (E:) and then transferred over to flash drive 16B when not so longer after I put 16B in.

Oh boy, I know, this reads like I am some sort of a mad weirdo, doesn't it? And I don't even take drugs or drink.

I hope somebody here knows what the answer is to this. Now that I have finally gotten this incident down in print I can easily copy this to other tech sites, but I'll give this place the first shot at it.

It's actually a kind of relief to get it down in print. Way, way, too weird!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. ireland

ireland Active member

I do not know what type of work you do
    Give this a though

Report: NSA maps pathway into computers
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Security Agency has implanted software in nearly 100,000 computers around the world — but not in the United States — that allows the U.S. to conduct surveillance on those machines, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/report-nsa-ma...qaW9mBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--

3. Yashichi

Yashichi Member

Firstly, I doubt that the NSA would target my computer, as I would not be a very rich environment to collect information about anything NSA would have their fingers into, unless they want to help me push for accountability by such Net players as Google, Avast, Microsoft, Yahoo, just to name a few of the Net entities I have focused my attention on.

Nope, of the 100,000 computers around the world they have the resources to tap into, mine would be way, way below their radar.

But I don't mind those NSA folks being noted in this thread. Let's move on, though, after I thank you for your interest in this thread, ireland.

I am going to try a slightly different approach in this post that includes identifying up front the 5 players/pieces involved in this incident.

Number of "Players/Pieces" involved in this event. = Five . . . They are:

2 flash drives _ both the same make and model _ (AND wrong ID in the OP) Silicon Power Helios 101 16GB 2.0
    Link to their description by Silicon Power Computer & Communications Inc. http://www.silicon-power.com/product/product_detail.php?main=10&sub=65&pro=128&currlang=utf8 <- I hope that link doesn't get me in trouble. Not an ad. Please understand Mod Squad.

So 2 of the 5 players are listed above and they were both previously marked with labels of "16A' and "16B" and that was done in 2013 on Sept. 1st.

Next 2 players are 2 computers, labeled in the OP as Computer _A and Computer_B.

Computer_A is an Epson tower unit of the Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 variety.

Computer_B is a Dell laptop of the Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 variety.

4 out of 5 players now identified.

5th player is one human, me. We list 'variety' as strange and of the Trash80 vintage (TRS80). Aged human, but knows a little bit about computers and such.

EVENT DESCRIPTION, AGAIN.

16A inserted into Computer_A and the following is from the log I was keeping:

. . . COPY STARTS . . .

. . . COPY ENDS . . .

After I finished putting that pictures folder on 16A I checked another folder while it was still in Computer_A (previously put on that stick) and it was empty, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

So I take stick 16A out of Computer_A and put it into Computer_B so I can check that one empty folder again and same result -- that "corrupted" folder is empty. I removed stick 16A.

So I know from my log that stick 16B has a copy of that 'empty' folder (along with a saved "Pictures" folder from last year. I put 16B into Computer_B to check to be sure that one folder is okay -- the one that was corrupted on 16A. The target folder is there and is fine.

I close that folder window and that is when I see that the previously named "Pictures" folder is now named like above on 16A -- "PicturesBackupEpson_140115".

NEXT, PLEASE.

Since doing the first post above on January 15th JST and sort of getting over the surprise, maybe shock, I got to thinking about my "Recent Items" folder.

Now that should not have had a copy of the "PicturesBackupEpson_140115" title from stick 16A because I don't think I opened it. Does that sound right?

Obviously, I am still looking for answers and anyone who reads this thread has had to read quite a lot, even though there are only three posts, at this point. But if you have any ideas, I sure wouldn't mind you sharing them with me -- "vintage" / "strange" human.

Thank you, everyone.

. . .