1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Captioning in Linux

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by nitrolinux, Jan 16, 2014.

1. nitrolinux

nitrolinux Newbie

Hello, this is my first post!

I was just wondering, has there been or even been any discussion on any possible development on software in the OpenSource world for creating and embedding of close cpationing in video formats such as MPEG, MOV, or MP4? Not Subtitling!!! We are talking about CEA-708 Captions for television broadcasting.

It looks to me that Telestream has the market cornered on such software, what I would assume, a very important thing to develop. Even if it came at a price. Not the $5K they are commanding for such software.

It would be great if someone could comment on this. I am trying to close caption a 30 minute program that I produce and my efforts have been a total bust! I can make SCC files all day with some previously purchased software (MovieCaptioner) but this is only good for Standard Definition content, and when you get into the HD world, you must produce 708 captions, not the old 608 captions.

I am now using the new Adobe Premiere Pro CC. It was suppose to produce 708 captions, but I haven't seen it yet. Apparently this is a feat that is impossible to achieve outside of Telestream,

I swear, if I knew this, I would had tried a little harder in Math, back in school and learned some programming.

Any help or information would be great.

-nitrolinux

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

you may have got help in the specific video editing topics.. but this is totally outside my field of expertise.. yup.. finally found something I know absolutely less than nothing about.. awesome.. top marks..

3. attar

attar Senior member