1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering USB and SDHC Video to DVD for Safe Storage

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mediamaster, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mediamaster

mediamaster Newbie

It's been a while since I was in the DVD burning scene and was curious if Verbatim DVD+ discs are still reliable and recommended for long-term storage of files. I have a lot, and I mean a lot, of video and photographs stored on USB flash drives and SDHC memory cards. I need to reclaim some of these devices so they can be used and so I don't go broke. lol Do you think Verbatim DVD+ is still the best in store DVD media to buy? I have Ridata discs, but I just don't feel comfortable storing pictures and videos of my kids growing up on them.

Thanks so much for any advice/opinions you can offer.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

honestly i wouldn't recommend dvds for long term storage they get damaged too easy.
    Think an external hard drive is more reliable.
    online storage might be another option but then again sites do go down.

i've been through a lot of disc over the years and even had 1 that was 12 years old that wasn't scratched or damaged just wouldn't play.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Agreed hdd's are better or a combo of both dvd & hdd or better still convert all movies to a format say mkv either way you go your going to need a minimum of two copies 3 would be better on separate hdd's it's just the nature of the beast hardware fails even tho the hdd platters may be fine if the problem is electrical

4. mediamaster

mediamaster Newbie

To be honest, I never thought about using an external hard drive. It makes perfect sense and would not require me to spend many hours burning DVDs that will not last a lifetime.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction xboxdvl2 and scorpNZ!

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If your going to store dvds on hdd run them thru a program like clonedvd or dvdfab to remove any crap like previews & languages & or subs you'll never need, then run the dvd thru menushrink (its free),menushrink removes the animation it can save anything from 0-700mb per dvd saving space as it won't take long to fill up an hdd,another option i use is dvdshrink or nero recode to take the main movie & the odd extra,cut the intro's & outro's & thereby reducing the dvd's footprint

menushrink can make vlc & klite go crazy & not be able to navigate the odd dvd correctly or perhaps other media players may have the same issue in which case it's necessary to use the menu bar of the player to navigate titles manually,cyberlink never seems to have a problem,most of the issues i've had are usually tv dvd's not movie dvd's