AfterDawn: Tech news

White Xbox One coming this fall, 1TB model coming this year?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 29 Jan 2014 10:40 User comments (12)

White Xbox One coming this fall, 1TB model coming this year? According to multiple sources, the Microsoft Xbox One will be getting some significant software and hardware updates this year.
First, sometime in March, the Xbox One will see its first major firmware update, with system fixes, and update for Xbox Live, new placement for social media and party-chat problems addressed.

Additionally, the white employee-only model will launch in October, and the 1TB internal storage model will see release a month later in November. Other potential updates are a Bluetooth adapter and a version without an optical drive.

We had previously heard that Microsoft was testing Blu-ray-drive-less consoles, but it appears closer to confirmed now.

Finally, Microsoft will be headed to Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Colombia, Chile, and Argentina in April.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

129.1.2014 23:18

I like the idea of 1TB hdd. But still like having Optical Drive as well. Don't really like the idea of Blu Ray Drive Less consoles.

Although there is way to install larger hdd anyway on XboxOne.

230.1.2014 06:46

Seeing as you can plug in a USB3 hard drive of any size for backing up or installing almost anything I'm not convinced of the need for XB1 to get hard drive updates like this.

Perhaps if production renders the bigger sizes more cost-effective it makes sense...

...and, of course, if there is to be a version for the more developed markets with decent fibre connection allowing for people to choose a (much cheaper?) version without an optical drive.

330.1.2014 16:45

I would rather see the ability to play 360 games on the One. This is the only way I would get a One right now.

430.1.2014 16:47

What's An Xbox/One??

530.1.2014 19:40

Xbox one is the very first type of xbox microsoft made,360 is number 2 & this one in the article is infact xbox 3,however you have to remember we all live in bizzaro world so everything's backwards.

microsoft are too far behind the times the hdd should be 2tb or more already

edit: i'd like to see an aluminum version not plastic garbage not that i'd buy an xbone however if i was rich i'd have a solid gold 360 jtag now that would be a real brick

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jan 2014 @ 7:44

631.1.2014 04:39

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Xbox one is the very first type of xbox microsoft made,360 is number 2 & this one in the article is infact xbox 3,however you have to remember we all live in bizzaro world so everything's backwards.

microsoft are too far behind the times the hdd should be 2tb or more already

edit: i'd like to see an aluminum version not plastic garbage not that i'd buy an xbone however if i was rich i'd have a solid gold 360 jtag now that would be a real brick
i like the gold idea sounds like the custom made phones rich people had made.

731.1.2014 08:25

It would be very easy for someone to produce & offer a light alloy casing with a different range of finishes, even gold leaf covered.
That wouldn't have to cost a vast amount either.

831.1.2014 10:50

wait... drive-less or just BD drive-less? No optical drive? How would this work? Everyone was pissed off when xbox said originally that it wouldn't play used games. Well, a drive-less console is a pretty good way to enforce this isn't it?

931.1.2014 12:26

Originally posted by 8686:
wait... drive-less or just BD drive-less? No optical drive? How would this work?
It could work any number of ways, it need not be a bad thing.

It could be a big plus in fact, as well as freeing fibre connected users from the limitations of an optical disc based game, something like 'Red box' allowing consumers to use their own flash drives or portable hard drives (via the USB3 port) for instance.
64gb drives are pretty cheap now & lots of people have 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs they could use or get cheaply.
This would avoid the BD limit of 47 or 48gb.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Jan 2014 @ 12:27

1031.1.2014 18:31

Originally posted by Interestx:
Originally posted by 8686:
wait... drive-less or just BD drive-less? No optical drive? How would this work?
It could work any number of ways, it need not be a bad thing.

It could be a big plus in fact, as well as freeing fibre connected users from the limitations of an optical disc based game, something like 'Red box' allowing consumers to use their own flash drives or portable hard drives (via the USB3 port) for instance.
64gb drives are pretty cheap now & lots of people have 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs they could use or get cheaply.
This would avoid the BD limit of 47 or 48gb.
I'm assuming you don't live in the US, where we have notoriously terrible internet speeds, along with ISPs throttling traffic. So downloading everything is really out of the question, maybe +10 years down the road. And how exactly are discs "limiting?" Sure, you can't add updates to a disc, but A.) Games use to be FINISHED before being released, and B.) You can download a ~2MB Patch. And come on. A redbox-like location where you can pick up the data and put it on your HDD? No company would just hand out data like that, especially Microsoft. And if they did, it would need to be some sort of encrypted USB, where you cant edit or add anything to it. Kind of like, I don't know, a disc?

I'm sorry, but Microsoft has been nothing but bad ideas outside of their main business. Keeping the Kinect, but removing the Optical Drive? I mean HOW does no one on the entire xbox team go "Uh, guys, we're about 25 years away from being all digital thanks to ISPs and DRM."

1131.1.2014 20:23

Originally posted by bigwil450:
I'm assuming you don't live in the US, where we have notoriously terrible internet speeds, along with ISPs throttling traffic.
No, I don't.
But the US is hardly unique in throttling or caps, however increasing video downloading & fibre use is making those limitations less & less relevant.
It's just a matter of time, sooner in some places later in others but it is happening.

but A.) Games use to be FINISHED before being released
Yeah, true, but those days are gone... regardless of platform.

A redbox-like location where you can pick up the data and put it on your HDD? No company would just hand out data like that, especially Microsoft.
Who said anything about just 'handing' anything out?
It could simply be another means of distribution you pay for - possibly expecting you to use the hard drive or flash drive for the units use only, just like Panasonic do with using a hard drive to record TV on some of their TVs.

And if they did, it would need to be some sort of encrypted USB, where you cant edit or add anything to it. Kind of like, I don't know, a disc?
Yes, some sort of security like a disc, I never suggested otherwise.
Again, just like Panasonic use when you hook up a hard drive to one of their suitably equipped TVs.

HOW does no one on the entire xbox team go "Uh, guys, we're about 25 years away from being all digital thanks to ISPs and DRM."
Because 25yrs is laughably exaggerated in several markets right now.

Besides, I'm simply suggesting it could well appeal & suit a viable section of the market (especially if cuts XB1 prices) & it need not be the dire development some seem determined to imagine it has to be.

Whether or not you like Kinect - or anything else they have done or suggested - is irrelevant to this.

You better get used to it too cos next gen - barring some sort of cheap retro thingy (bit like Sega Megadrive/Genisis all-in-one things now available) the optical drive is likely to be very conspicuous by its absence from all the big names.
If there is another gen of consoles at all.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Jan 2014 @ 8:23

122.2.2014 09:30

however increasing video downloading & fibre use is making those limitations less & less relevant.

What? Wouldn't increased traffic make those limitations MORE relevant? As more people would notice the limitations?

It could simply be another means of distribution you pay for - possibly expecting you to use the hard drive or flash drive for the units use only, just like Panasonic do with using a hard drive to record TV on some of their TVs.

That entirely negates the all digital platform. It's just switching discs for flashdrives. And copyright holders are so upset over their DRM failing, that they want to take away discs so people have no physical copy.

Because 25yrs is laughably exaggerated in several markets right now.

Not in all of North America.

Besides, I'm simply suggesting it could well appeal & suit a viable section of the market (especially if cuts XB1 prices) & it need not be the dire development some seem determined to imagine it has to be.

That's what Microsoft thought with the original plans for the XB1. And I'm sure everyone remembers THAT disaster.

Whether or not you like Kinect - or anything else they have done or suggested - is irrelevant to this.

It's not, though. Microsoft isn't using Nintendo's model of 'take risks innovating,' they're competing on the 'good grafix' front, battling PS4 and PC, and including some NSA spycam while raising the price is working against them.

You better get used to it too cos next gen - optical drive is likely to be very conspicuous by its absence from all the big names.

I seriously doubt it. With Blu Ray movies and games being +35GB, 4k movies and 'better grafix' games coming out, and ISPs even going as far as introducing legislature to prevent State Governments from forcing them to improve speed + reliability, there's no way we'll be all digital in the ~8 years next gen starts. I think you'd be surprised to see how many people buy physical copies of games they need steam to run, so they don't have to download it.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive