AfterDawn: Tech news

Susan Wojcicki is now CEO of YouTube

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 06 Feb 2014 7:34 User comments (6)

Susan Wojcicki is now CEO of YouTube

Google has confirmed that one of its first employees, Susan Wojcicki, will be named CEO of YouTube.
Wojcicki will replace Salar Kamanger, who will leave YouTube but remain within Google.

Google CEO Larry Page praised the exiting CEO, thanking him "and the whole YouTube team (for having) built something amazing." Additionally, "like Salar, Susan has a healthy disregard for the impossible and is excited about improving YouTube in ways that people will love."

Wojcicki is Google's 16th employee and the company was even headquartered out of her garage for some time before hitting the big time. Her current position was SVP of advertising, one of the top positions in the company.

There have been reports that Wojcicki had been offered CEO positions at other tech companies and startups, but Larry Page was terrified to lose her so named her CEO of one of Google's largest subsidiaries. This may cause some internal strife, however, as YouTube VP of product Shishir Mehrotra has been essentially running the team while Kamanger winds down.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

16.2.2014 19:53

WOW THATS A GREAT NEWS, ON THIS OCASSION I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE

26.2.2014 20:29

knockoff the caps lock as per forum rules as we are not deaf.

37.2.2014 14:13

Now if she can just get rid of that horrible connection between Google+ and Youtube, she will have done a huge service to us.

48.2.2014 00:27

Originally posted by raunchynm:
Now if she can just get rid of that horrible connection between Google+ and Youtube, she will have done a huge service to us.
Yeah that sucks eh! But one good thing did come of it I am on youtube about 30% of what i used to be !

And i believe that I am not the only one on there less and less each day !
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Feb 2014 @ 12:29

58.2.2014 05:56

Originally posted by justchuck69:
Yeah that sucks eh! But one good thing did come of it I am on youtube about 30% of what i used to be !

And i believe that I am not the only one on there less and less each day !
I'm with you on that. I rarely go to youtube anymore because it's such a pain to comment on videos. It's a shame too because I'm sure the posters of these videos appreciate the comments especially the thank yous

68.2.2014 15:57

Amen to that, amen to that!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive