AfterDawn: Tech news

Mozilla to sell ads on the homepage of Firefox browser

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 12 Feb 2014 7:57 User comments (22)

Mozilla to sell ads on the homepage of Firefox browser Mozilla has confirmed that the non-profit company will began selling ads in the Firefox "New Tabs" homepage, with the new initiative dubbed "Directory Tiles."
"Some of these tile placements will be from the Mozilla ecosystem, some will be popular websites in a given geographic location, and some will be sponsored content from hand-picked partners to help support Mozilla's pursuit of our mission," the company says. "The sponsored tiles will be clearly labeled as such, while still leading to content we think users will enjoy."

Mozilla began the foundations of the Directory Tiles last year when it allowed users to opt-in to receiving tailored content that was based on their browsing histories.

Darren Herman, Mozilla's VP of content services says: "Mozilla is moving from a dumb window to the internet to a smart agent on behalf of the user, putting the user first."

There is significant opportunity for Mozilla, as Firefox is the second-most used browser in the world, at about 18 percent market share (depending on what data you follow).

Previous Next  

22 user comments

112.2.2014 20:23

I wonder if they will allow the ads to be seen even with the ad block plus plugin.... Granted the definitions list is made by someone else, I guess I'll have to start monitoring and adding to the list as it works its way through.

213.2.2014 16:49

novel idea.you dont see that anywhere else.at least not with adblock plus.hehehe

313.2.2014 21:22

I haven't checked in a while but Adblock Plus was allowing Google Ads as acceptable. That's when I switched to Adblock Edge, it has no "acceptable" so maybe it'll take out the Firefox Ads... guess I'll see. :)

413.2.2014 21:25

You mean Adblock EDGE, the redo, as Adblock Plus itself now allows for some "unobtrusive" advertising.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Feb 2014 @ 9:27

513.2.2014 21:29

Originally posted by Jemborg:
You mean Adblock EDGE, the redo, as Adblock Plus itself now allows for some "unobtrusive" advertising.

You got it.

613.2.2014 21:33

Originally posted by 2oldGeek:

You got it.
Hey snap! We posted same stuff, at the same time... make a wish. :D

713.2.2014 21:37

I got a crystal ball and have already made mine. you don't have to tell yours, i know it.

813.2.2014 21:45

with adblock plus you just uncheck the allow unobtrusive ads box.never tried edge.update.wont be trying it just yet.cant get it for chrome based browsers.i use comodo dragon.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Feb 2014 @ 9:49

913.2.2014 21:48

try it, you'll like it.

1013.2.2014 21:52

I don't use chrome - it's Google. :(

1113.2.2014 21:53

comodo dresses it up a little.supposed to be more secure etc.

1213.2.2014 21:57

security is not the problem. Google tracks you. I like being private.

1313.2.2014 21:59

so comodo is full of shit when they tell you that doesnt happen with their chrome based browser? cant trust anyone these days.i notice it wants me to sign in with my google account,like thats ever going to happen.lol

1413.2.2014 22:07

Originally posted by aldan:
so comodo is full of shit when they tell you that doesnt happen with their chrome based browser?

See there, you're getting smarter already. lol

1513.2.2014 22:16

i know,my head hurts.

1613.2.2014 22:30

I stay as far away from Google as I can get. Use Start Page HTTPS for searches, self destructing cookies, Disconnect, and Anonymox... +Adblock Edge

1713.2.2014 22:33

Chrome loads up DoubleClick spyware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleClick

You can also run the addon "DoNotTrackMe" in FF... works great.

1813.2.2014 22:39

Quote:
You can also run the addon "DoNotTrackMe" in FF... works great.

I have tested both and like Disconnect better by a small margin.

1913.2.2014 22:44

Quote:
Disconnect (Firefox/Chrome/IE/Safari) is our pick because it continues to add useful features and improve its database, and its secure Wi-Fi and bandwidth optimization features aren't available in other tools. It blocks third party tracking cookies and gives you control over all site scripts and elements from a simple-to-use toolbar menu. It also protects you from tracking by social networks like Facebook, Google, and Twitter, which use your browsing even off-site to collect data about you. Finally, Disconnect protects you from sidejacking (or widgetjacking), where an attacker can use stolen cookies to access personal data without having to know your password, with its Secure Wi-Fi feature.

2014.2.2014 00:07

Cheers!

I guess I wouldn't need FaceBook Disconnect either with your Disconnect?

Also, what do you think of Mask Me?

2114.2.2014 00:49

Cheers!

I guess I wouldn't need FaceBook Disconnect either with your Disconnect?

Also, what do you think of Mask Me?
Never heard of "Facebook disconnect". Guess it's the same only limited to facebook.
Here's a little video:
https://disconnect.me/disconnect/help

oh, I said by a small margin. but I'm old, I meant "Large margin" over DoNotTrackMe.

2214.2.2014 00:52

I use MaskMe and love it.. you can turn off an email for anyone you set one for anytime you like,

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive