AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft: We have no plans to release an Xbox One without Kinect

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 26 Feb 2014 7:47 User comments (10)

Although there have been rumors since before the console even launched, Microsoft says it has no plans to release an Xbox One without Kinect bundled.
The motion sensor system is why the console sells for $100 more than the rival PlayStation 4, and many would prefer to pay less and lose out on the feature-set provided by the Kinect.

Before announcing a 30 pound price cut in the UK for the console, Xbox UK marketing chief Harvey Eagle said that Kinect is "integral" to the console. "[A Kinect-less Xbox One] is not in our plans at all," he added. "As we've said from the very beginning, we believe Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience."

Currently, there are just a handful of games that require Kinect, so it is not integral to the gaming aspect of the console.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

127.2.2014 14:22

And next year, when the gap between the Playstation's sales and their own grow to the abyssal threshold that even their own ineptitude can't keep hidden from them, they'll be singing a completely different tune.

And claim that it's only a different verse, of course.

227.2.2014 14:54

Microsoft is there own worst enemy ! Real dumbbells run this idiotic outfit !

327.2.2014 19:10

Next verse, same as the first.

427.2.2014 19:37

This is why I have not bought an xbox one. the kinect is NOT an integral part of the xbox. I can still play my games etc without it. hell the ps4 works great without there sensor lol.

yes the m$ is there own worst enemy. They will in turn, destroy themselfs. Nintendo just needs to come back with a good console, and stop with the Wii motion crap. bring back the NINTENDO!!!!
standing infront of a camera to play your games is old news. noone wants to hold there arms out to play forza for 2 or 3 hours online, on end for that.

527.2.2014 20:59

Originally posted by 1nsan3:
This is why I have not bought an xbox one. the kinect is NOT an integral part of the xbox. I can still play my games etc without it. hell the ps4 works great without there sensor lol.

yes the m$ is there own worst enemy. They will in turn, destroy themselves. Nintendo just needs to come back with a good console, and stop with the Wii motion crap. bring back the NINTENDO!!!!
standing in front of a camera to play your games is old news. no one wants to hold there arms out to play forza for 2 or 3 hours online, on end for that.
They already did, The wii u has very little use of the wiimotes. The pad and pro controller cover most of the games and some good titles this year coming.

As for the Xbox One that would defeat the point of putting a camera in your living room, though you can Use it without, my kinect stayed in the box and my Xbox one is not connected to the net and I intend to keep it that way.

628.2.2014 00:17

Quote:
"...we believe Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience."
WHY FFS?? Explain yourselves!!!

It's one of those things that gets my goat... statements that pose as answers. It's so patronising.

As as Andre points out above it's not apparent it's integral. But it's obvious that it's meant to have something to do with exclusives.

So do you finally get to play House of the Dead on the Xbone?

When the first Kinnect came out I thought it might be truly innovative but as the reality sunk in I gave up on the idea. Even though the tech improved with #2. Who cares if it has to recognise me?

But what's the big deal? In contrast I think you can achieve something approaching the interface functionality with the optional PS4 Camera if you want to wave your arms about for menus or 'get fit' games. At least you can run a light-gun game with the PSMove.

Stay tuned for the upcoming HDMI input on future PS4 iterations. Remember, you read it here on aDawn first!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Feb 2014 @ 12:18

728.2.2014 08:50

Microsoft: We have no plans to BUY an Xbox One WITH Kinect!

82.3.2014 06:43

Microsoft bring what people needs
No what you want.

92.3.2014 07:23

So, some people hate Kinect.
But as mass production rapidly brings down the additional costs, supposedly the 'problem' many have with it, what does it matter?
The cost gap between XB1 & PS4 is hardly vast as it is, comes closer with this reduction & will come down further.
They are very similar machines but Kinect is a step forward PS cannot at present match (regardless of whether the Move camera allows fitness stuff).

Just for other a/v control I like the idea & am keen to see it develop further.
Like it or not this gen is about far more than mere gaming & if game devs do not use it then that is, I think, not really the issue.

I'm betting what some people imagine it being now & what it will be in 5yrs time will turn out to be very different things.

102.3.2014 08:49

It's fair enough you like the Kinnect and you may well be right about the next 5 years.

Look, I had to try the PSMove before I liked it. It's like the Wiimote on steroids, it's not just a lightball. And it is literally the only thing I can play House of the Dead, Time Crisis etc. games with something close to a light gun. The Kinnect seems to have no solution because the angle of the 'gun' can't be detected under that system.

"...for mere gaming..." is what it's about for me and there's even this genre that's already there and doesn't have to be invented by devs. Why do I like it? Apart from bulk fun it's about friends of mine who don't game normally. Any idiot can do it. It may be the only reason I might consider PS4 in the future! :)

To add, now the new PS4 Cam has two cameras so I would expect it to be more accurate still.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive