AfterDawn: Tech news

Nintendo shutting down its Wii, DS online services

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Feb 2014 9:39 User comments (10)

Nintendo shutting down its Wii, DS online services Nintendo has announced that it is shutting down the online services for its Wii and DS/DSi users.
The 'Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' service will shut down on May 20th, leaving just the console's respective online stores but ending leaderboards, online play and more.

Reads the company's post:

As of May 20th, 2014, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will be discontinued and it will no longer be possible to use online features of Nintendo DS/DSi and Wii software such as online play, matchmaking and leaderboards.

The Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop will not be affected however, and will continue to be accessible after May 20th.

Here are the affected games, which include major hits like Pokemon.

The company will now focus on the online services for the 3DS and Wii U.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

127.2.2014 23:15

This will not get wii owners to buy a wii U. They should have left it up for the wii and taken down the U version.

227.2.2014 23:35

You do realize how old the wii & the DS are right? I don't think this will have any impact on new sales, this is old wifi system vs the new Nintendo Network Nintendo uses now, and I'm sure there is very little traffic on either of the services hence there is no reason to keep paying and supporting something people are no longer using.

If anything Nintendo needs to hurry up and get their lineup of Virtual Console Games they had on the Wii onto Nintendo Network, but in the meantime all DLC From Wii can be transferred to the Wii U without need of internet.

328.2.2014 00:57

It was sarcasm. Everything runs it's course and you phase out the old for the new. But you have to think like a corporation. Disable the old hardware to force people to move on and buy the new stuff.nintendo still thinks that they can be relevant.

428.2.2014 07:17

Quote:
It was sarcasm. Everything runs it's course and you phase out the old for the new. But you have to think like a corporation. Disable the old hardware to force people to move on and buy the new stuff.nintendo still thinks that they can be relevant.
I don't think it was about that. Remember Nintendo has just recently hired a new IT team to work around their network due to the crash after Pokemon Bank first launched. Likely this is more a move to free up unnecessary bandwidth / resource usage for their new technology. Yes no doubt one of their goals is in hopes for new sales for those who still wish to access their networks, but they couldn't afford another crash either since all of their hardware was accessing only on series of servers. (personally I still think that's a mistake: they should be running separate servers for their store front/site and forums for one, keep their game servers separate completely.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Feb 2014 @ 7:18

528.2.2014 08:45

I think they need to open their catalog up to MS & Sony. Obviously, the U isn't meeting sales expectations, so why not offer their fan favs via the PSN and XB Live? I'm sure they would make a nice profit off the Zelda & Mario line-up, not to mention Metroid, and many others that older gamers grew up with. A lot of people love the Nintendo games, but just not enough to buy another console. I just see this as an untapped revenue source for Nintendo. DLC is a growing market for games. Nintendo has some great exclusives that people would pay for.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Feb 2014 @ 8:47

628.2.2014 08:55

Damn! no more Mariokart!

728.2.2014 19:53

Originally posted by Dragon3000:
Damn! no more Mariokart!
I was thinking the same thing. It's actually been a while since I played. I guess if I want to after May 20, then I'll just have to play online with my 3DS. I doubt I'll be getting the Wii U.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Feb 2014 @ 7:54

81.3.2014 09:12

Originally posted by mightyzog:
I believe you're correct, @Mightyzog...there's a very good reason why people should be upset over this: The Golden Age of Nintendo has long since passed...they're now a company in the twilight of their life cycle who are desperate to make anyone buy their newest crop of crap. I stopped with the DSi XL, and I only got that one for the larger screen so it would be easier on these tired old eyes...lol! I was not impressed at all with the 3DS after fiddling with my future nephew's one. I most certainly have no intention whatsoever to buy any further iteration of the handhelds (especially when they release a "new" one every year or so...what are they on now, the 3(2)DS lite XL mega-ultra-special edition? That's sarcasm btw... ;) ), and the Wii-U looks like a LeapPad to me...something for preschool kids. They are clearly abandoning the people who still enjoyed using their products (albeit older ones)...at least for the online aspect. I can't see ANY way this will endear people enough to buy their newest offerings. So long Nintendo, it was nice knowing you when you had quality products...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Mar 2014 @ 9:14

91.3.2014 23:13

Originally posted by Menion:
You do realize how old the wii & the DS are right?
Yes...technologically the Wii is only marginally better than the PS2...but as far as release dates go, it is newer than the PS3 and the 360, and it is still being sold new at BestBuy. The Wii never had the kind of "core" gamers that insist on the best tech or the newest releases...and bowling/crossbow/etc are not the same with a controller that looks like a gamegear (but less comfortable to use).

I understand that Nintendo wants to do whatever they can to push the WiiU without actually making it a decent product (it needs all the help it can get, even if they released some games for it). I don't know who they think the WiiU is for...but they can't actually believe it is meant for the people who the Wii was for...can they? If so, they are totally nuts...if not, why attack Wii owners that just want to play bowling against eachother online?

106.3.2014 12:33

People are so harsh because the core of Nintendo games require thinking instead of button mashing and tons of gore.

IMO the biggest hurdle to the next gen of consoles is the price. Parents don't have $500 to snap up a console, then more money for games, controllers and everything else that's "not included" in the box.

The other problem is that the previous gen seemed to work perfectly fine, whereas a jump from the original Xbox and PS2 brought us into the HD world.

As it stands I only own a 3DS ATM, and I'm happy with the exclusive titles, as they're all polished and very good (if it's your type of gaming that is.) The Wii U needs the household name brands to make a splash for it to gain any momentum. I see the same faults that plagued the N64, which never received a Metroid title at all, and had one Mario platformer in it's life cycle.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive