AfterDawn: Tech news

Kickstarter darling Ouya is already dead, will transition to software company

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 09 Mar 2014 11:20 User comments (13)

Kickstarter darling Ouya is already dead, will transition to software company

Ouya, the Android-based hardware console that nearly reached $10 million in funding on Kickstarter, is already dead in less than a year of availability, says the Verge.
The indie game console took Kickstarter by storm in 2012, raising $8.6 million, promising TV gaming for $99 and a plethora of games, all of which were free-to-play. The company was run by CEO Julie Uhrman, a former VP of digital distribution for both IGN and GameFly, very experienced in the gaming world. Uhrman wanted the Ouya to curate and promote games, and even possibly fund indies.

Unfortunately, the box launched late, the plans to fund indies fell through, and the console launched only a few months ahead of the PS4 and Xbox One.

Ouya, having failed as a hardware console, will now be transitioning to a software platform, effectively killing its hardware business. The company will look to embed the platform into TVs and set-top boxes, starting with the Mad Catz Mojo, which was formerly its own hardware console.

By killing off its hardware, Ouya has turned itself into another Android variant, one that has even less users than others. There are no incentives to build for Ouya, especially when standard Android and iOS have over 1.2 billion users and the PlayStation 4 continues to be a smash hit.

Tags: Ouya Console
Previous Next  

13 user comments

110.3.2014 00:08

honestly I can say this doesn't surprise me one bit. I see they are listing reasons for the crash of the console but that's all speculation, I personally don't think the console gamers were all that enticed by a box that plays phone games on their tv, seems like a cheap gimmick.

210.3.2014 00:11

It makes a perfect xbmc box and the absolute best house for emulators. I bought one at launch for exactly those reasons with no intention of putting money into their games. I love the controller.

310.3.2014 03:16

seriously was anyone surprised by this? it sucks big time for the company and people but it just was appealing to gamers. Specially with all the focus was on PS4 and XB1. Yeah this Oyua was a nice gimmick but $99 just wasn't going to happen. They would have had a better chance off selling it for $75. But heck I knew this wasn't good buy and it would fail. Just didn't expect it to happen so quick.

#baked

410.3.2014 14:19

"very experienced in the gaming world"

CLEARLY NOT!

I love how people that got into a career in a field they barely know/knew, made a boat load of money because the business succeeded temporarily to line the pockets of the execs (while screwing the underlings) and then takes that boat load of money then throws it to the wind and starts a garbage venture such as Ouya. Now she gets others describing her as "very experienced in the gaming world"...whatevs!!

510.3.2014 17:27

Not surprising to me either.

610.3.2014 23:42

i actually had my doubts and said it would fail, (if you do a forum search you might be able to find the post).

A few of the forumers said it would be a success and pointed out i had no evidence it would fail, on a plus note at least they shipped out the consoles and made them i had my doubts as to if they would.

711.3.2014 09:24

A shame but they really had issues with price/performance the same thing will happen to the steam machine unless someone makes a 200-300$ windows steam machine that can paly most of their titles.

813.3.2014 00:39

I love the way the negative-nancys come out crowing, "I told you so!". I'm sad to see this happen. I get almost daily use out of my OUYA and I like a lot of the little games on the device, especially for my little boy. I though it was worth a go. Unlike you guys I am not interested in shelling out a few hundred for an android device. I like the way I can sideload unofficial apps into the device.

@Hearme0
Your prattish ignorance,as usual, knows no bounds. I'd say "a former VP of digital distribution for both IGN and GameFly" counts for experience. Still, when has black&white evidence to the contrary ever stopped you from getting on your wooden high-horse?

----------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2014 @ 12:50

913.3.2014 02:02

Originally posted by Burnasty:
It makes a perfect xbmc box and the absolute best house for emulators. I bought one at launch for exactly those reasons with no intention of putting money into their games. I love the controller.
Try this:
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8220-SPMC-Koying

1013.3.2014 11:36

Originally posted by Jemborg:
I love the way the negative-nancys come out crowing, "I told you so!". I'm sad to see this happen. I get almost daily use out of my OUYA and I like a lot of the little games on the device, especially for my little boy. I though it was worth a go. Unlike you guys I am not interested in shelling out a few hundred for an android device. I like the way I can sideload unofficial apps into the device.

@Hearme0
Your prattish ignorance,as usual, knows no bounds. I'd say "a former VP of digital distribution for both IGN and GameFly" counts for experience. Still, when has black&white evidence to the contrary ever stopped you from getting on your wooden high-horse?

----------------------------------------------------------------
I gots my eyes set on a galaxy 3, solid multi use device, I will root and crack it like no ones business.

Its the only one I can find thats the right size and has the newest OS on it, I got an Itouch 3rd gen that needs to be replaced.......

1114.3.2014 23:18

I blame the designer of the system. The thing was underpowered from the start...total lack of foresight...they deserve it.

1215.3.2014 21:16

Are you listening STEAM?

1316.3.2014 00:19

For a system that's underpowered it's still getting a ton of games on it.

But I think that was a price point issue... they wanted to keep it under $100

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive