AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft reveals shipping date for Surface Power Cover

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 Mar 2014 10:40 User comments (6)

Microsoft reveals shipping date for Surface Power Cover

Microsoft has revealed the release date for their Power Covers for Surface tablets, with the accessory shipping on March 19th.
The cover will significantly extend the battery life of Surface Pro, Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 tablets. Microsoft claims the accessory will extend life by up to 70 percent, which could make the devices much more productive and portable.

Weighing in at 1.2 pounds, the cover is also over 18mm thick, not necessarily small. It also does not include back-lit keys, which the standard Type covers do.

The Covers were announced back in October when the company unveiled their new tablets.

Microsoft is making the Power Covers available in the U.S., Japan and Canada first. In the U.S. it will retail for $199.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

112.3.2014 00:40

Not back-lit? .... lame.

212.3.2014 13:02

Microsoft is just lame with all their stupid and confusing marketing techniques. Their trying to call the surface rt windows 8.1 tablet giving users the impression that it is a full laptop windows experience when its not. They should be forced to put the RT back and explain what it is.

312.3.2014 13:49

ASUS transformers have had these for years...

418.3.2014 07:51

I don't think anyone is confused by a Surface tablet and thinking it is a laptop! It is a tablet and it does that better than any other tablet out there.
I agree with Jemborg, it's strange that they haven't backlit the keys but is that really an issue? Are backlit keys for the dark and if so why would you want to type things up in the dark... I mean, if I use a tablet in very low light I use the on-screen keyboard as it just seems easier.
This will be a useful product. The standard Surface (RT or PRO) lasts for ages anyway so this should give it incredible stamina.

518.3.2014 22:37

@ Magictown

A brother of mine recently bought something similar which runs full Win8.1. It also has that attachable keyboard and expansion arrangement which he didn't bother with buying. He's happy with the on-screen keypad. He likes it more than his iPad5. He can run MS Office on it... I don't think he's aware that Office may be coming out for the iPad. Too little too late from Apple as far as he's concerned I suppose. He enjoys having full windows on a touch tablet... even though the res is not as great. The device is new but the CPU is old(ish) but it seemed to perform ok. Thing runs an Atom Z2760 with 2gig of ram.

I guess the thing about a backlit keyboard is that it's really nice Magic. My bro has a spare BT Mac KB he uses with the above but he's not keen on Mac KBs either.

619.3.2014 06:16

Jemborg, yea.. those other tabs that run full windows like the Dells and Tosh and Asus vivobook are all pretty good. I have had a play with most of them but TBH, the RT is faster, smoother and the Office included is full on. Overall I prefer RT for tablets as I feel that proper Win would cause the usual PC problems eventually so tend to steer customers to RT.

I agree with the "magic" of backlit keyboards :) A backlit tab key cover does give it a cool factor.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive