AfterDawn: Tech news

Mozilla's Metro version of Firefox had less than 1000 users

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 15 Mar 2014 10:27 User comments (7)

Mozilla's Metro version of Firefox had less than 1000 users

Mozilla has confirmed that its Metro version of Firefox had such tiny adoption that it will be discontinuing support for the specialized browser.
Instead, the company will stick to its much more popular "desktop" AKA the standard version of the software, which remains the second most popular browser behind Internet Explorer.

Mozilla had been working on the Metro-based browser for over two years, trying to give Windows 8 users a native alternative to Internet Explorer. Firefox for Windows 8 had such little interest, the company says it never had more than 1000 active users.

"As the team built and tested and refined the product, we've been watching Metro's adoption. From what we can see, it's pretty flat," Johnathan Nightingale, vice president of Firefox, added. "On any given day, we have, for instance, millions of people testing pre-release versions of Firefox desktop, but we've never seen more than 1,000 active daily users in the Metro environment. When I talk about the need to pick our battles, this feels like a bad one to pick: significant investment and low impact."

Mozilla will keep the code in case interest ever perks up, but for now it appears the Metro/Modern UI version of Firefox for Windows 8 is DOA.

Previous Next  

7 user comments

115.3.2014 14:33

Not a shock. I haven't seen a single Metro app that I particularly care for, and many I outright despise.

215.3.2014 14:51

i was just gonna tell you that you can say that again.lol

316.3.2014 01:23

Nobody needs an app for a deskotp program, it is ridiculous. Well done Mozilla, dump ugly useless Windows 8, thank you.

416.3.2014 21:15

I don't understand why all these asshole developers keep creating Metro apps for windows 8 and claiming their unneeded. The Metro apps should be created for Windows RT devices that actually will utilize the Metro tiles and layouts of the application. Why would someone download firefox metro when the desktop version works fine? It has no purpose Microsoft had/has a really stupid idea trying to push users to use metro. Everyone who owns windows 8 on a laptop or desktop mainly uses the desktop tile like 90% of the time. Everybody I know asks me to take it off their computer for them. I would never waste time with metro apps if I had windows 8 on my laptop or desktop but I will never put windows 8.1 on either of them anyway. When put the boot directly to desktop back and the start menu back all will be good in the world.

517.3.2014 17:28

Um, hello? Metro apps, by their very design, are supposed to work on ANY Windows 8 device without any redesign; that's pretty much the entire point of Metro (or "Modern" or w/e) apps. They already run on RT devices just fine.

What this article is telling you is, there aren't enough users, even when including RT. Which is pretty damn bad for Win8's prospects RT or not.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Mar 2014 @ 5:28

617.3.2014 17:45

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Um, hello? Metro apps, by their very design, are supposed to work on ANY Windows 8 device without any redesign; that's pretty much the entire point of Metro (or "Modern" or w/e) apps. They already run on RT devices just fine.

What this article is telling you is, there aren't enough users, even when including RT. Which is pretty damn bad for Win8's prospects RT or not.
The original idea of metro apps was that they would work the same way on pro or rt...except a touchscreen control interface and a mouse/touchpad interface are completely different...you might as well say Wii bowling works the same with a gamepad.

That said, isn't firefox for RT users a little silly anyway? Wouldn't the average firefox user rather hack their RT to install Linux...assuming they got it for free because they wouldn't actually buy one?

717.3.2014 22:54

Some, perhaps, but why the hell would you shell out the cash for a Surface RT, then, instead of some cheaper tablet with otherwise comparable specs? It's not like most people will get one for free. Furthermore, finding all the drivers you'd need would be close to, or even actually impossible. I don't really see the point of working that hard to convert it into a Linux tablet, just to have borked functionality, especially as the touchscreen would probably be very high on that list of hard to find drivers.

If I got a Surface RT for free and wanted Linux instead, I'd simply return it to the vendor and buy a different tablet. Hell, some already have Linux installed when purchased! If I couldn't return it, I'd sell it. Either way, you'd almost certainly have a few hundred dollars extra to play with, even if you bought a tablet with pretty much the same (or better) hardware specs.

And yes, all Metro/Modern apps ARE supposed to run on any Win8 device. Remember, the RT has a mouse touchpad (or you can hook up an external one), and Win8 desktops often have a touchscreen monitor. Furthermore, all of the Metro apps run fine on the Surface Pro, which is Intel-based, so there's no reason for them not to run on a desktop. I can't say I like how mouse+kb is handled in Win8 for touchscreen-centric content, but the mechanism IS there, as well. I'm sure you can find a few apps that don't cross over so well between Win8 devices, but it is the main design conceit behind Win8, after all, so that should be damn rare.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Mar 2014 @ 10:55

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive