AfterDawn: Tech news

First look at the Motorola Moto 360 smartwatch powered by Android Wear

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Mar 2014 2:24 User comments (10)

First look at the Motorola Moto 360 smartwatch powered by Android Wear Just hours after Google unveiled the Android Wear SDK for smartwatches, Motorola has shown off their first wearable to use the Google Now-based software and user interface.
The gorgeous new Moto 360 watch will see release this summer, in a number of styles. The device is the first true smartwatch to use a classic round design rather than the geeky square/rectangle design of current smartwatches.

Reads the company's posts:

The wristwatch has been through several evolutions since it first became a popular fashion accessory more than a 100 years ago. From mechanical to electronic movements, analog to digital faces, the wristwatch has been reinvented several times over, but the basic design has endured for a century because of its elegance and usefulness 'at a glance.' Our vision for Moto 360 was to celebrate that history as we reimagined the wristwatch for the future.

Moto 360 keeps you on time and up to date without taking you out of the moment or distracting you, telling you what you need to know before you know you need it through subtle alerts and notifications. With just a twist of the wrist you can see who's emailing or calling, what time your next meeting is or a friend's latest social post.

Moto 360 also responds to your voice. Just say "Ok Google" to ask questions like who won the Stanford vs. New Mexico game or what time your flight leaves, or to get stuff done like scheduling an appointment, sending a text, setting an alarm or taking a note.

Some early pictures and video here:

Previous Next  

10 user comments

118.3.2014 15:20

Simple and elegant. I like it and I don't wear a watch. I haven't worn a watch for 20 years. In fact, the only item I ware is my wedding ring and glasses, I grew out of wearing the ear ring, necklaces, watches and insignia rings. But this, I may have to rethink about wearing a watch again in the future.

218.3.2014 17:09

Yes depending what this baby can do.

318.3.2014 19:46

Looks at least looks very good, I like how it looks like an real watch compared to the others. The real question is how long is the battery life but this thing looks pretty slim from the design. So I guess only time will tell.

418.3.2014 20:32

Now thats how you design a smart watch (take notice Samsung).

518.3.2014 21:59

Have had no interest in a "smart" watch...Until now. Well done, Motorola.

619.3.2014 00:04

I agree; this is actually a rather nice design.

719.3.2014 09:56

Dick Tracy... eat your heart out!

919.3.2014 15:23

Originally posted by Mrguss:
Update:
Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xQ3y902DEQ
Somebody beat you to it. lol

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c...ar_smartwatches

1019.3.2014 16:18

My bad. (Never extend that link) I was surfing YouTube tho.
The watch is nice. I always wear one. (The slimmest I can find).

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Mar 2014 @ 3:34

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive