AfterDawn: Tech news

Google signs Glass deal with Oakley, Ray-Ban maker

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 24 Mar 2014 10:58 User comments (8)

Google signs Glass deal with Oakley, Ray-Ban maker Google has announced another major milestone for its Google Glass headwear, a deal with luxury eyewear company Luxottica.
Luxottica is responsible for major brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley and Persol. The company has over 5000 retail stores in the U.S.

Reads Google's post:

When the first eyeglasses appeared in the 13th century, they took off and over the next 700 years, they evolved over and over, with the first bifocals appearing in the 18th century, and the monocle and sunglasses shortly after. Nowadays, glasses are global phenomenon – a reflection of both function and fashion.

We see Glass as the next chapter in this long story. Light, simple and modular, Glass introduces new functionality as your glasses get smarter – but bringing your own style to Glass is just as important. Earlier this year, we launched the Titanium Collection, designed by the Glass team. Between frames, shades, and colors, there are over 40 different ways for Explorers to make Glass their own today... but that's not enough.

Luxottica understands how to build, distribute and sell great products that their clients and consumers love – something we care deeply about at Glass, too. They'll bring design and manufacturing expertise to the mix, and, together, we'll bring even more Glass style choices to our Explorers. In addition, Luxottica's retail and wholesale distribution channels will serve us well when we make Glass available to more people down the road.

You're not going to see Glass on your favorite Oakleys or Ray-Bans tomorrow, but today marks the start of a new chapter in Glass's design. Excited? Because we definitely are.

Google Glass is expected to see a full commercial launch in the Q3.

Previous Next  

8 user comments

125.3.2014 14:02

High end Oakley's ....always with me :)

225.3.2014 20:39

Fashionable glassholes. How nice...

325.3.2014 23:12

why fashionable glasses, surely this will dramatically add to the price of a pair of Google glasses. Get it out for mass public at a reasonable price first, then those who group of users who can afford to buy Ray-bands etc then that's fine.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Mar 2014 @ 11:14

426.3.2014 12:42

Originally posted by Mrguss:
High end Oakley's ....always with me :)
Yeah......and how many of your "high end Oakleys" have you sat on, left behind, lost on rollercoasters, etc, etc, etc???

This lame-ass idea will only deter MOST from ever buying as now they can slap a ridiculous price tag of $1500.00 PLUS 199.00 for the meritless OVERPRICING of Oakley quality sunglasses.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Mar 2014 @ 12:50

526.3.2014 13:19

hearme0, your last 4-5 posts seem to written by someone who is having a really bad day. LOL. You mad, bro? ;)

627.3.2014 10:19

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
hearme0, your last 4-5 posts seem to written by someone who is having a really bad day. LOL. You mad, bro? ;)
Was

:)

727.3.2014 12:04

best pair of sunglasses i tried were a pair m8 got in bali for $4.he had about a dozen pairs including oakleys and i didn't find the oakleys great.
I had a pair of choppers sunglasses in 2006 they were actually very nice sunglasses, the lens in them were great.
Personally i'm not a fan of overpriced sunglasses, i have normal glasses and i gotta say the lens on a $56 pair from big W are shocking,they get dirty too quick and are poor quality only had them a year and the paint on the frames is already mostly peeled off.

knowing google they will add an insane price tag to the well known branded glasses & idiots will pay the extra for the brand cause they are materialistic.

827.3.2014 15:51

I like a nice glasses, the same way I like to use a nice smartphone or Computer.

I Giving Away:
- Vote, 'cos I just don't believe in Govts.
- Go to church "every day". lol
- Local Radio Stations and their ads, etc.
- "American" Reality TV or Movies BS garbage (Like: The Hunger Games style Films) or any regular TV channels with ads.
- Video games: playing the same scenes 'till I get sick of it.

But is only one thing I just don't give up: Is to dress nice to get the chicks I want to.

Any questions !?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Mar 2014 @ 5:59

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive