AfterDawn: Tech news

Boycott Firefox! Gay marriage opponents call boycott after CEO ousting

Written by James Delahunty @ 05 Apr 2014 6:48 User comments (33)

Boycott Firefox! Gay marriage opponents call boycott after CEO ousting Following the resignation of Brendan Eich from Mozilla amidst a backlash over a donation he made to the California Proposition 8 campaign, Mozilla has come under fire again.
As you would expect, opponents of gay marriage in the United States sympathize with Brendan Eich, and are lashing out at Mozilla after he resigned from his position as chief executive, which he held only for a number of weeks.

One such group is the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), which is calling on consumers to uninstall Mozilla's Firefox browser as a protest.
"This is a McCarthyesque witch hunt that makes the term 'thought police' seem modest," said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage. "We urge all consumers to remove Mozilla's Firefox web browser from their computers as a sign of protest."

The group claims that the resignation of Eich reflects the desire of gay activists to punish anyone in society who fails to support their agenda of "redefining marriage." In the United States, the anti-gay marriage elements focus on an asserted definition of marriage as a union between, "a man and a woman."

You would expect this type of reaction of course, and considering that close to half of all Americans reportedly oppose gay marriage, it is not unlikely that Mozilla may even suffer more as a result of Eich's resignation.

Disapproval among gay marriage supporters

Even among those who support marriage equality, there are questions about whether Brendan Eich's personal beliefs and political positions should have led to demands that he be removed from Mozilla, particularly after having a role in Mozilla for quite a while.

Comedian and satirist Bill Maher, who hosts his own debate show on HBO - Real Time with Bill Maher - is a noted supporter of gay marriage, but is quoted as having compared the backlash against Eich with the way James Gandolfini's Tony Soprano character dealt with his opponents.

"I think there is a gay mafia," Maher is quoted as saying during a panel discussion segment of his show. Of course, Maher is a comedian so his comments can be taken with a pinch of salt, though he has backed people he disagrees with in the past when they have been at the receiving end of public condemnation, such as radio personality Rush Limbaugh.

Maher is no stranger to losing your job due to a public outcry, having made controversial comments after 9/11 that lost him his show at ABC.

Others have also made the observation that around the time Eich made his donation, Barack Obama - arguably Silicon Valley's preferred candidate at the time - was not a supporter of gay marriage either.

Brendan Eich's donation

In March, 2012, a donation made by Eich toward an anti-gay marriage campaign came to light. He had donated $1,000 to the campaign in favour of passing California Proposition 8 - to outlaw gay marriage in the state - while identifying his employer as Mozilla Corporation. The donation was made in 2008.

The revelation came as a surprise to many in the tech sphere, and provoked outrage in the media and on social media. As time went on, the issue died down until Eich was promoted to chief executive at Mozilla.

In response to the re-kindling flames, Mozilla reached out to users in late-March, re-affirming its commitment to marriage equality and LGBT equality.

The opposition only got louder and on Thursday, April 3, Brendan Eich officially stepped down from the role as CEO of Mozilla.

Sources and Recommended Reading:
Mozilla CEO steps down in gay marriage row: www.afterdawn.com
Press Release from the National Organization for Marriage: www.nomblog.com
Bill Maher: 'Gay mafia' will take your career down 'if you cross them': www.washingtontimes.com

Previous Next  

33 user comments

15.4.2014 19:05

I uninstall Firefox long time ago 'cos I knew this will happen ...and instal Tor.
Oh. never mine. lol

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Apr 2014 @ 7:20

25.4.2014 21:50

I don't see the point of this boycott.....I mean you got your way, the dude in question resigned. Let's give it a rest already.

35.4.2014 22:33

You're confused, ivymike; this is the OTHER side of the argument, pissed that he was forced out.

One sauced gander, now that the goose is done.

45.4.2014 22:46

I see.....It sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation.

55.4.2014 22:46

There's always Pale Moon, LOL.

65.4.2014 22:47

Yeah, this reaction is pretty much exactly what I was trying to warn about. Once you make it OK to go after someone for their beliefs and legal political actions, no matter how distasteful, it's all fair game.

Pale Moon (which I already happen to use) is just Mozilla, wearing a different, tighter dress ^^' ...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Apr 2014 @ 10:49

75.4.2014 23:01

Both Pale Moon & Firefox owe their existence to the Netscape browser code.

85.4.2014 23:05

Sure, but it isn't Netscape updates that drive Pale Moon updates, after all - lol...

95.4.2014 23:13

The source code of Firefox & Pale Moon had their origins from the Netscape Navigator's Gecko rendering engine.

106.4.2014 00:24

This is going way too far off topic, I think, so we should just leave it, but I'll pose the question to you: When was the last Netscape update..? The answer: YEARS ago. It's simply not Netscape any more, for good or ill.

116.4.2014 04:26

Luckily, the haters are far outnumbered by the more reasonable, less ignorant (in some ways, at least) people. All these 'religious-minded' calls for boycotts rarely amount to anything.

126.4.2014 10:10

These are the facts, they are indisputable:

1. This guy's donation happened in 2008
2. The voters in California voted against legalizing gay marriage that year, the majority of people in the state were against it!
3. It took a supreme court case years later to overturn the vote
4. President Obama, in 2008, also did not support gay marriage and said publicly that he was in support of "traditional marriage" between a man and a woman. He has since changed his view - should he be impeached? Sheesh!

So the liberal left has now crucified this guy for something he did 6 years ago when the entire issue was in flux, the majority of the people in his state of residence felt the same way, as did the president of the United States. Give me a break!

136.4.2014 14:04

The US is deeply divided between progressive thinking people (Democrats) and regressive thinking people (Republicans). These divisions run very deep.

146.4.2014 14:22

I agree. And calling people out for a legal, not particularly fringe political stance from 2009 does NOT minimize this divide.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Apr 2014 @ 2:23

156.4.2014 15:58

Originally posted by ChiknLitl:
4. President Obama, in 2008, also did not support gay marriage and said publicly that he was in support of "traditional marriage" between a man and a woman. He has since changed his view - should he be impeached? Sheesh!

Yes, he should be impeached for many things...but at least on this issue he changed his public stance for the better.

If this guy had supported laws against inter-racial marriage in the 1950's, and still supported such a view today, no one would have any issue with him being outright fired...so I guess the question is simple:
How long after a civil rights issue is accepted by the majority is it still acceptable for someone in the public eye (and not directly affiliated with any religious institution) to be against it? It seems to be sliding at least to some extent...but when you are talking about California, the timer is pretty short. When you are talking about gay rights in San Francisco, the timer doesn't exist.

166.4.2014 15:59

Sorry, but that's quite silly. You can only impeach for actual crimes. Until you have an impeachable crime, which no one has been able to produce, there's simply no basis for impeachment.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Apr 2014 @ 4:00

176.4.2014 16:32

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Sorry, but that's quite silly. You can only impeach for actual crimes. Until you have an impeachable crime, which no one has been able to produce, there's simply no basis for impeachment.
He has violated the war powers provision, he has ignored the Geneva convention, he has ordered the assassination of US citizens without trial (using bombs), and he has wiretapped without a warrant. All of these things are hard fact with ample evidence, but even the republicans won't impeach him because that would open the door for impeachment of the next republican president that will do the same things.

187.4.2014 02:36

Yes, and Dubya, by that same scoring system, did many similarly impeachable things. You're exactly correct in your assessment, then, I'll have to grant you.

197.4.2014 13:26

Don't believe its a religious call to boycott Mozilla, it is more of a free speech movement. We all have our opinions and are entitled to them. We may not all agree but to be runoff from a business because your opinion does not line up with the few is very absurd. Likes some one commented most of the country had the same opinion about gay marriage at the time he contributed. And all he contributed was a $1,000. I don't agree with Mozilla running him off but I am not going to boycott them just because we have a different stance on gay marriage.

207.4.2014 15:02

Originally posted by maddog68:
Don't believe its a religious call to boycott Mozilla, it is more of a free speech movement. We all have our opinions and are entitled to them. We may not all agree but to be runoff from a business because your opinion does not line up with the few is very absurd. Likes some one commented most of the country had the same opinion about gay marriage at the time he contributed. And all he contributed was a $1,000. I don't agree with Mozilla running him off but I am not going to boycott them just because we have a different stance on gay marriage.
I don't think it would have been an issue if it were just a few employees. There may only be a few dozen employees that are directly affected, but I find it hard to believe that they are the only ones who support gay marriage. At this point, there are probably more homosexuals per capita that are against gay marriage simply to avoid having to get married than straight people against it because of whatever prejudices or beliefs they may have.

As for the free speech argument, it really doesn't work. If a person wants to wear a nazi uniform in public preaching about how wonderful hitler was and how only ariens deserve to live, his first amendment rights let him do exactly that. Obviously such a person would not make an ideal CEO. AND NO...I'm not calling him a Nazi by any stretch; just saying that a CEO cannot just claim free speech protection for whatever he says or does.

217.4.2014 15:53

Originally posted by KillerBug:
He has violated the war powers provision, he has ignored the Geneva convention, he has ordered the assassination of US citizens without trial (using bombs), and he has wiretapped without a warrant. All of these things are hard fact with ample evidence, but even the republicans won't impeach him because that would open the door for impeachment of the next republican president that will do the same things.
Democrats & Republicans just pass the same ball (Agenda) back and for and don't care about anybody other that themselves (Rich & Corporations interests)

The Govt. "some times" trow a bone to the people, just to keep them calm & under control.

The Mozilla boycott is laughable. "They" should give us a better options ....maybe IE, anyone!? lol
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Apr 2014 @ 5:53

227.4.2014 17:17

Originally posted by Mrguss:
The Mozilla boycott is laughable. "They" should give us a better options ....maybe IE, anyone!? lol
There is Chrome...not exactly the ideal open source solution, but it works really well for the average user. If you really dislike mozilla because of this or something else, there are other options.

237.4.2014 17:37

Ugh. I despise Chrome, not least due to how difficult it can be to disinfect, once people manage to infest it with creepy-crawlies.

247.4.2014 17:49

No Chrome for me.
I'm happy with Tor: it work better and faster that the lately heavy duty Firefox.
...and I talking about with the same add-ons on them.
It's only me !?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Apr 2014 @ 5:50

257.4.2014 17:55

You might want to look up Pale Moon.

267.4.2014 18:36

I prefer Opera.....NOT Opera Next....No, I prefer OLD Opera. The Opera built with the Presto rendering engine.

Why Opera Software gave that up, I will never know......

277.4.2014 18:37

Pale Moon IS mozilla...it isn't "Firefox" but it is still mozilla. If you want to avoid mozilla because you don't like what they did, Pale Moon isn't an option.

287.4.2014 18:38

Certainly, but I was responding to Mrguss' post.

297.4.2014 19:14

@ Bozobub
Thx.

@ KIllerBug
...If you want to avoid Mozilla because you don't like what they did ....

I don't think boycotting Mozilla have any weight.
Actually it promote Firefox in the "good-bad" publicity stunt.

People no change religions, so easily: Unless they coming from the 4th. world. lol

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Apr 2014 @ 7:23

309.4.2014 15:24

A Firefox faster than Opera. I like it!

Thx.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Apr 2014 @ 3:28

319.4.2014 15:33

You're quite welcome. I only recently found out about it myself, in fact.

Pale Moon also runs all of the Firefox memory-saving plugins; I especially like "Memory Fox". I see roughly 50% maximum of the RAM footprint standard Firefox uses, with the same number of tabs (open to the same sites).

329.4.2014 15:58

first pro gay marriage people complain now anti gay marriage people complain????seems people don't know what they want lmao.Sounds to me like they need a machine running mozilla one that doesn't have opinions and is 100% practical with no opinions on other things in the world except mozilla.a computer savant maybe.

obama doesn't know what he does and doesn't support he changes views base on what will make him most popular.

339.4.2014 16:11

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
obama doesn't know what he does and doesn't support he changes views base on what will make him most popular.
What you just described is known as a "politician". You are fooling yourself badly, if you believe otherwise.

That said, it wasn't Obama who was calling for Eich's ouster, you know. He simply has nothing to do with this event, either way.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive