AfterDawn: Tech news

Netflix to raise prices for new subscribers

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 Apr 2014 6:31 User comments (9)

Netflix to raise prices for new subscribers Following their quarterly earnings report this afternoon, Netflix has announced it will be raising the price for new subscribers to its streaming catalog.
Currently at $7.99 per month for unlimited streaming and multiple profiles, the price will increase by $1 or $2 depending on where you live in the world. The new price change goes into effect later in the quarter, most likely in June.

Netflix says current users will get to keep their grandfathered pricing for a "generous time period." The company previously tested pricing variations in Ireland.

The company justified the small price increase by noting how much content they have added in the past year, especially in original programming. The added revenue will go towards more acquisitions and to "deliver an even better streaming experience."

Tags: Netflix
Previous Next  

9 user comments

122.4.2014 17:34

Are you serious NetFux!! Raising prices again, this is such buls**t. They justify raising the price by how much content they have add... I can't wait to see it but all I see are 2-3 star crappy movies on stream, nothing has changed for the 4+ years I have had this.

Oh and I love how they say that us current users will be grandfathered pricing for "generous time period". So we will eventually get flipped over and get the big stiffy.

223.4.2014 19:40

Originally posted by g_slide:
Are you serious NetFux!! Raising prices again, this is such buls**t. They justify raising the price by how much content they have add... I can't wait to see it but all I see are 2-3 star crappy movies on stream, nothing has changed for the 4+ years I have had this.

Oh and I love how they say that us current users will be grandfathered pricing for "generous time period". So we will eventually get flipped over and get the big stiffy.

Sadly, while I enjoy Netflix sometimes, I agree completely! I have not noticed ANY change in ANYTHING significant what-so-ever in the 3 years I've had this. BTW..........my fiancee and I share the cost with her bro because you can stream to two (2) devices at same time on basic package.

324.4.2014 08:14

Meh I dont see the big deal about this. Stop being cheap people. You have thousands of things to watch when you have netflix and its still under 10 bucks, not to mention its unlimited streaming. Im not going to lie their movie catalogue still has a good ways to go in terms of getting more recent movies but for the price I dont think theirs anything to complain about.

424.4.2014 14:45

haha, I can't believe the first two posters crying like little girls over $1 or $2 raise. Bet you won't get rid of it and continue to get the 'big stiffy'.
Some folks cry about anything and everything I swear.
Even if I had to pay $10 a month I still think it's a sweet deal.
Shit, I'd rather pay $10 a month as opposed to $100 a month on cable or satellite. Now those guys are giving their customers the 'big stiffy' as g_slide likes to put it.

526.4.2014 08:47

Netflix and other streaming service providers will have to raise prices likely, at least in part, to the recent rulings that ISP's can charge content providers for their services. Good bye Net Neutrality, R.I.P..

628.4.2014 14:21

The problem is, if I'm paying $10/month to Netflix, $10 to HuluPlus, $10 to Amazon, $10 to WWE (or MLB, or whatever sports programming you want), plus $10, plus $10, plus $10... eventually "cutting the cord" starts to look a lot like paying for the bottom tier cable/satellite. We're right back to where we started...

729.4.2014 02:10

Originally posted by nu2duo:
haha, I can't believe the first two posters crying like little girls over $1 or $2 raise. Bet you won't get rid of it and continue to get the 'big stiffy'.
Some folks cry about anything and everything I swear.
Even if I had to pay $10 a month I still think it's a sweet deal.
Shit, I'd rather pay $10 a month as opposed to $100 a month on cable or satellite. Now those guys are giving their customers the 'big stiffy' as g_slide likes to put it.
I guess you make a lot of money and don't know how to save it. How long have you had NetFux? Do you remember when it was $9.99 with streaming and unlimited DVD's but up to (2) at a time. Then they took that away from us and said it would be separate billing and it's $7.99 for streaming but then they are going to raise it back up again.

Yes it's only $1 for now, but then they will raise it again... then we are back to $10 for crappy streaming programs and no DVD. When will it end.

Since you don't mind the price hike and have so much money, why don't you give us all $12 for the entire price increase to each user on this site... you can afford it.

89.5.2014 15:33

Just confirm on local news today that Netflix will increase the prices for existing accounts starting May 2016

99.5.2014 19:26

Don't see the problem personally.

Original content, which the majority of subscribers no doubt watch, along with introducing 4K streaming to more content etc doesn't come cheap.

If only you (America) knew the sorry state of content selection available on the UK platform.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive