1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

web page/site blocking

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, May 15, 2014.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Is there a simple way to block ANY incoming web site from either superimposing itself over the page I AM looking at or to settle into the system tray? I use MSE as antivirus, and the built in firewall. If I need to install a third party FREE app that is fine. I do not want to build a LIST of sites as the sites are both random and related to the current site I am using. Ideas please.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

if you are talking about being redirected to another site,you are already infected with malware.mse is pretty much useless here.it sounds like your browser has been hijacked.im sure our resident guru on malware will chime in but for starters i would download and run tdsskiller by kaspersky.there should be a log so be sure to save it and post it here.then download and run malwarebytes and get rid of anything it comes up with.post this log as well.hopefully by this time 2oldgeek will sniff this thread out.
    http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/utility
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hi rtrg,
    Did you ever find a win 7 you could install?

Don't know what you're running but it sounds like you have some infection..

If you wish to clean it up and secure what you have, then follow the instructions and I will be able to assist you:

First, let’s do a little Pre-Cleaning and Post some Logs so I can see what we need to do…

Security Check

Please download and save SecurityCheck.exe to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe then follow the on-screen instructions inside of the black box.
    • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
    • Please copy and past the contents of checkup.txt in your next reply.

RogueKiller

Please download and save RogueKiller to your Desktop.

• Quit all programs that you may have started.
    • Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!
    • For Vista or Windows 7, right-click and select "Run as Administrator to start" For Windows XP, double-click to start.
    • Wait until Prescan has finished ...
    • Then Click on "Scan" button
    • Wait until the Status box shows "Scan Finished"
    • click on "delete"
    • Wait until the Status box shows "Deleting Finished"
    • Click on "Report" and copy/paste the content of the Notepad into your next reply.
    • The log should be found in RKreport[1].txt on your Desktop
    • Exit/Close RogueKiller+

AdwCleaner

Please download adwcleaner and save to your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
    • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    • Click on Delete.
    • Confirm each time with Ok. if asked.
    • Your computer will be rebooted automatically.
    • A text file will open after the restart.
    • Please copy and past the content of that log file with your next post.

Note: The log can also be located at C: >> AdwCleaner[XX].txt >> XX <-- denotes the number of times the application has been ran, so in this case may be something like R1.

Junkware Removal Tool

Please download jrt.exe and save it to your desktop.

• Please temporarily disable your security/protection software as found here, to avoid potential conflicts.
    • If running Vista, Win7 or Win 8... right-click jrt.exe and select "Run as Administrator" for Win XP just double click it. The tool will open and start scanning your system. Please be patient, it can take a while depending on your system. On completion, a log file JRT.txt is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
    • Please copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt and post in your next reply.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, which will be the correct version.

* Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    * Press Scan button.
    * It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
    * Please copy and paste log back here.
    * The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

Please post the Logs in your next reply.

TNX
    2OG

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Do any of these fix the issue I am having? It seems to have slowed down recently. I want something that prevents incoming web sites from entering my browser or the system tray or superimposing itself on an open web page. The mere presence of an unwanted site slows the response of the browser. If I X out the page response returns to normal. This is an XP desktop. I do not want to be bothered with building lists of acceptable and unacceptable sites. In my view no site should ever make its way into the system unless asked for, either from the address bar or selecting a link. This is what I am after. Plese detail what these programs do and how to use them or if any program exists that operates as I described.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yes these may fix the issue that you are having at this time but, if your machine is not thoroughly cleaned and your security updated IT WILL RETURN....

You can either do the things I ask, or not. Your choice, your computer. Helping you is my choice. I have been doing this since the Internet has been around and I do this because I care, I don't get any other reward for it.
    Just let me know what you choose to do. If you wish to fix your computer, follow my instructions and post the Logs.. Otherwise, Have a nice day.