1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality Problem :-DV capture via Firewire

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Sundiver, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Sundiver

Sundiver Member

OK, I'm new to this miniDV camera Sony DCR-HC14E, but as I understand it I should be able to capture in uncompressed DV format thru a Firewire card, but I get rough mosiac pixellation on video and cr*p audio, it's not the camera as I tried it on an Apple laptop and got perfect results. I can capture as Mpeg with latest NeroVision and get ok results.
    Tried all obvious remedies I can think of -
    capture to seperate NTFS 7200rpm drive
    all non-essential services disabled
    several different capture prog's tried (eg MovieStar, Windows MovieMaker, Ulead, & Nero etc..
    all current XP-home(SP1) updates installed
    1Gb ram, Ath.XP2600, defrag'd drives, with & without pagefile enabled.....

So "HELP!" please any ideas, is there maybe some sort of DV-codec problem- and if so how do I diagnose/rectify ?
    Thanks in advance for any usefull suggestions.

2. dkaiser

dkaiser Member

I have the same problem. I am using a Sony DCR PC110. and capture thru firewire. It is like the video size is to small.

3. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

correct me if i'm but, i think the problem is that its not DV25, infact isnt that microMV?

if so the microMV uses mpeg2 compression instead of normal DV25 (ie 5:1 compression ratio)

mpeg2 is heavly compressed, although it may look ok on a TV set (due partly to the lower resolution of the TV, 625 scan lines and 50Hz interlace scan {Usually}) on a laptop or PC you will see the artifacts more aparent

a normal miniDV tape is aprox 11gigs of data and those microMV tapes are 60% smaller hence lower stoarge capacity hence more comression = worse quality, and the pros say that even DV25 (with is 5:1) compression is "too compressed" !!

Anyway Sony should have given you some software to capture its native mpeg2 TRANSPORT STREAM or mpg.ts files i'cus normal NLE will not be able to capture the TS (i think)

anyway refer to your manuals guys!

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

dkaiser- I have the same camcorder. I capture via firewire and Nerovision Express. Capture as uncompressed AVI which creates a file around 12GB, then edit and finally compress and burn. No idea how long the compress/burn takes since I let it do its thing overnight. The quality is fine for me. There are probably much better quality tools for this stuff but I found Nero pretty easy and I'm happy with the results.

5. dkaiser

dkaiser Member

Thanks ricster I'll give it a try

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  6. NeoNe

NeoNe Member

Hy I'm new to this dv capture from my digital camera over firewire. I captured my home video about 15min of tape and I get perfect quality but all that is 8gb.. So how I get holl movie of 2h on dvd if dvd is 4.7gb what quality shood I use to capture from camera. I use Adobe Pirmier 7