AfterDawn: Tech news

Geohot is back - This time with a root tool for nearly every Android device out there

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 17 Jun 2014 7:35 User comments (10)

Geohot is back - This time with a root tool for nearly every Android device out there

George Hotz (aka geohot) is back with a vengeance, releasing a new root tool that can be effectively used on all Android devices including the "unrootable" Samsung Galaxy S5 for Verizon and AT&T.
Geohot became famous for being the first person to unlock the original iPhone, and later for creating the limera1n jailbreak tool for future versions of the iPhone. The hacker then gained notoriety when he exploited OtherOS for the Sony PlayStation 3, opening up the ability to add homebrew (and play pirated games), causing Sony to disable the feature entirely and sue the young hacker.

Gaining root access to an Android device allows users to make system-level changes, and gain great apps like Titanium Backup. You can also flash different ROMs, like CyanogenMod, if you just hate the bloat of your Samsung, LG or HTC device.

Dubbed "Towelroot," the new tool requires you to download and install an APK directly from Geohot's site, and run it. That's it. All devices running Android 4.4.2 or lower can use it, leaving out just a handful of phones including the Nexus 5 and Moto X.

While the tool is great for users who want the easiest access to root, ever, it is unfortunate for Google since Towelroot is based on a Linux kernel vulnerability. Android 4.4.3 appears to have blocked at least part of the exploit, but it does not appear to be solved yet in its entirety. With over 97 percent of Android users on 4.4.2 (or older) Google may have to work a bit harder on the exploit.

If you want to try out Towelroot, get it here at the official page. Due to the nature of the APK, Afterdawn must recommend that you not download it from anywhere else.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

118.6.2014 12:30

Also a lame scene hacker for stealing his colleagues work,
jumping the gun and using it as his own ip.

those of us who follow the scene still remember Geocunt, go crawl back under the rock you slinked out from.

218.6.2014 12:39

WTF?? No Moto X love? All I want is ROOT so I can use the many backup programs. If I would have known no one was going to exploit the X I would have purchased the Developer Edition!

318.6.2014 13:18

Originally posted by brian480:
WTF?? No Moto X love? All I want is ROOT so I can use the many backup programs. If I would have known no one was going to exploit the X I would have purchased the Developer Edition!
It works on the Moto X as long as you have not updated it to 4.4.3 :)

418.6.2014 13:21

Is this only AT&T and Verizon?

518.6.2014 23:58

Originally posted by DXR88:
Also a lame scene hacker for stealing his colleagues work,
jumping the gun and using it as his own ip.

those of us who follow the scene still remember Geocunt, go crawl back under the rock you slinked out from.

What is this about stealing his partner's work?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Jun 2014 @ 11:59

619.6.2014 08:21

Originally posted by brian480:
This root method works using a exploit in the linux kernal that android is using now. This is why it works on so many different devices but he did state that some Motorola and HTC devices where immune to this technique. You might see some other sites calling this exploit a security risk for malware. Stating that if you install an unsafe app it can be then used to steal user information.

720.6.2014 11:07

Looks like a donation is mandatory but I can't blame the guy for doing so..........assuming I'm correct.

I would totally donate 5 bucks to this person.

If indeed this works then PROPS to the dev.

820.6.2014 12:38

Worked like a charm on my new LG G Pad 8.3. Also, @7, no donation is mandatory, just click the lambda for the download.

921.6.2014 09:47

what's the lambda? Nevermind, I know what 'tis now

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Jun 2014 @ 9:50

1021.6.2014 21:05

Towel Root does not work on Nextbook tablets.....

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive