AfterDawn: Tech news

Aereo "pauses" service following Supreme Court decision

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 28 Jun 2014 5:04 User comments (4)

Aereo "pauses" service following Supreme Court decision TV streaming startup Aereo has "paused" their service indefinitely, following the Supreme Court decision in which it was ruled that the company violated copyrights of the major TV broadcasters CBS, NBC, Disney and Fox.
The service is shutdown as of 11:30AM today, but it could return at some point in the future.

"You will be able to access your cloud-based antenna and DVR only until 11:30 a.m. ET today," CEO Chet Kanojia wrote in his note to subcribers. "All of our users will be refunded their last paid month."

Here is the full letter:

A little over three years ago, our team embarked on a journey to improve the consumer television experience, using technology to create a smart, cloud-based television antenna consumers could use to access live over the air broadcast television.

On Wednesday, the United States Supreme Court reversed a lower Court decision in favor of Aereo, dealing a massive setback to consumers.

As a result of that decision, our case has been returned to the lower Court. We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map out our next steps. You will be able to access your cloud-based antenna and DVR only until 11:30 a.m. ET today. All of our users will be refunded their last paid month. If you have questions about your account, please email support@aereo.com or tweet us @AereoSupport.

The spectrum that the broadcasters use to transmit over the air programming belongs to the American public and we believe you should have a right to access that live programming whether your antenna sits on the roof of your home, on top of your television or in the cloud.

On behalf of the entire team at Aereo, thank you for the outpouring of support. It has been staggering and we are so grateful for your emails, Tweets and Facebook posts. Keep your voices loud and sign up for updates at ProtectMyAntenna.org – our journey is far from done.

Yours truly,
Chet Kanojia

Previous Next  

4 user comments

130.6.2014 15:08

As I said before........had they passed on the whole "cloud based antenna and DVR" then they might still be around but this is what killed them IMO.

They should have simply sold a DVR that was NOT cloud based and an HD OTA antenna and done and done.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jun 2014 @ 3:09

230.6.2014 17:24

This sucks because antennas dont work in my area so Aereo was my only way to get local channels without having cable.

Right now I'm a 'man without a TV'.

But I do still have netflix and hulu to keep me entertained until something else comes along.

31.7.2014 21:58

If someone wants to offer this service to people free of charge and you are officially a non-profit organization, that might be OK, but you CANNOT charge money for it w/o agreement of the owners of the material.

42.7.2014 03:37

I remember a similar fuss when cable TV was first rolled out in Oz. The FTA stations were protesting then. People with poor reception would get clear FTA as well... as you know. But the FTA stations claimed they were in effect getting extra content for free for their paid service. I don't know if it went to court or what was sorted out, if there was a deal or not, but FTA is still on cable here.

Governments are pretty scared of pissing off the major broadcasters in their country... look at how the British govs sucked up to Murdock's rags, even with the scandal.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive