AfterDawn: Tech news

Unlocking your phone is cool again following passing of Senate bill

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 16 Jul 2014 1:47 User comments (3)

Unlocking your phone is cool again following passing of Senate bill

The Senate has passed bill S. 517, allowing consumers to unlock their phones when it is time to switch carriers.
S. 517 aka the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act, will make it once again legal to unlock your phones when your contract is up. The right had been an exemption in the DMCA, but it was revoked when the Library of Congress ruled phone software is protected by copyright and that unlocking could potentially be a copyright violation.

"This straightforward restoring bill is about promoting consumer rights," says Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) "When consumers finish the terms of their contract, they should be able to keep their phones and make their own decision about which wireless provider to use."

The Senate passed the bill unanimously and it now goes to the House.

Source:
The Hill

Previous Next  

3 user comments

116.7.2014 16:39

WOW!

Hard to believe that my country actually decided to allow this. Very uncharacteristic of the U.S. and its crazy arrogance and greed.

217.7.2014 17:29

Phone company probably didn't give them a big enough bribe!

319.7.2014 21:44

Welll i cant say that I dont agree with this. I dont have a problem with them allowing individuals the right to unlock their phones after the contract is complete. If they paid for the phones up front or completed payment of it before the contract is up I think they should be allowed to unlock it, if not then locked it should be.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive