AfterDawn: Tech news

DVD-quality copy of 'Expendables 3' leaks online, 3 weeks before theatrical release

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 25 Jul 2014 10:16 User comments (12)

DVD-quality copy of 'Expendables 3' leaks online, 3 weeks before theatrical release Yesterday, the piracy scene erupted when a DVD-quality release of the upcoming 'Expendables 3' was leaked, a full three weeks before the movie's U.S. release date on August 15th.
In 24 hours, multiple versions of the movies have been downloaded well over 1 million times and it is still unclear how such a good copy was available so early and who leaked it.

While many movies see camera versions released within days (if not hours) of their release, DVD-quality copies are a whole different story. During Academy Award season it is not uncommon to see blockbusters leak online, but the Expendables 3 is not likely to be nominated for anything.

There have been some notable leaks in the past including workprint versions (missing some final effects and scenes) of X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, although there have not been any recently.

It is notable to note that production company Nu Image sued over 20,000 BitTorrent downloaders of the original Expendables film and could be gearing up to do so again.

Expendables 3 has a cast of most of the biggest action stars of the last two decades, and will still definitely be a hit in theaters, despite the leak.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

126.7.2014 12:55

Conspiracy theorist in me says this was done on purpose by the studio. If the typical settlement is $3,000 and they sued 20,000 last time, then they could easily make $60M for just the cost of legal fees.

226.7.2014 14:55

^Quite possible; I think I'll steer clear of this one... This kind of movie is better on the big-screen anyways.

326.7.2014 16:30

Ill wait and buy the BD like I did for the other 2

427.7.2014 00:50

I call it JAIL BAIT.

Originally posted by sabotage85:
Conspiracy theorist in me says this was done on purpose by the studio. If the typical settlement is $3,000 and they sued 20,000 last time, then they could easily make $60M for just the cost of legal fees.
Of course it was! And I agree with you.
I call that kind of stunt "JAIL BAIT".

527.7.2014 11:46

I was concerned there was a possible honeypot, which is why I downloaded it at work instead of at home lol...it was a really good copy. The movie was meh, however. I'm glad I got to download a good copy first. It wouldn't have been worth my money to see this movie in the theater. It was better than the 2nd movie, which was shit, but it didn't beat the first one. It was just ok. There was the obligatory female expendable and thank god they didn't go with a sex scene or something. The tech parts were garbage. It's like they tried to be more modern and cool but failed because it felt so out of place and unnecessary. It actually made me cringe a little.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jul 2014 @ 11:47

627.7.2014 13:12

Originally posted by Ryoohki:
I was concerned there was a possible honeypot, which is why I downloaded it at work instead of at home lol...it was a really good copy. The movie was meh, however. I'm glad I got to download a good copy first. It wouldn't have been worth my money to see this movie in the theater. It was better than the 2nd movie, which was shit, but it didn't beat the first one. It was just ok. There was the obligatory female expendable and thank god they didn't go with a sex scene or something. The tech parts were garbage. It's like they tried to be more modern and cool but failed because it felt so out of place and unnecessary. It actually made me cringe a little.
Thanks for the review and heads-up.

To be honest, I've never seen the 1st and 2nd movies...
...because after "Hero" Jet Li said he was retiring from acting, to become a Buddhist monk, but here he is on his 3rd movie with this 'all-star' line up. Lyin-ass 'monk' needs to mule-kick
da shit outta himself! (lol, just kidding)

By the time they decide to make a 4th sequel to this movie franchise, the actors will be wearing dentures and due their 500,000-mile Re-tread!

THIS is why Hollyweird doesn't want us downloading movies, because then WE get preview it and decide whether the movie is worth $eeing Before we spend our hard-earned money to go see it in theaters, AND tell all our friends online whether the movie is a success or just plain sucks.
The movie industry fears that last one... you know how quickly word of mouth spreads throughout the internet.
Hollyweird doesn't wanna shell out good-quality entertainment,
they just wanna put out shitty movies and take our money!

727.7.2014 17:56

Jet Li had a VERY minor role in the movie, a couple of scenes. I was surprised to see him at all. I wasn't too impressed with Wesley Snipes either. His acting was terrible and seemed so forced and fake.

827.7.2014 18:06

Jet Li had a VERY minor role in the movie, a couple of scenes. I was surprised to see him at all. I wasn't too impressed with Wesley Snipes either. His acting was terrible and seemed so forced and fake.

That's the problem with these types of "all-star" cast movies,
too many big-name celebrities all fighting for camera time
throughout such a badly written storyline, and the writers
manipulating them as puppets... such that the actors have
no headroom to develop their characters and convince us viewers.

928.7.2014 17:09

It wouldn't have been worth my money to see this movie in the theater. It was better than the 2nd movie, which was shit, but it didn't beat the first one. It was just ok.
Interesting, as I thought the first one sucked badly and had zero plausibility (or plot) while the 2nd one was far superior. Guess I'll have to check this one out after all when it hits theaters.

1029.7.2014 02:28

I'll be interested how well the movie does at the box office after all this palaver Andre.

I had no idea it existed as I usually don't look for lo-res nowadays. Maybe that sounds snooty but I don't know anybody that goes for SD vids these days.

I usually happy to chew some bubble-gum for the eyes but The Expendables is one piece of pap I've never bothered with.

1129.7.2014 12:38

Originally posted by Jemborg:
I had no idea it existed as I usually don't look for lo-res nowadays. Maybe that sounds snooty but I don't know anybody that goes for SD vids these days.
Not at all, I'm the same way. SD content usually looks horrible on HDTVs, plus, the rips are rezzed down, further degrading the quality. Not worth the time or hassle IMO.

121.8.2014 11:09

It was a good quality rip, and there is no reason to download from traceable torrent source. There are hundred of blog-mass storage untraceable sites one could get them from. I find all 3 installments entertaining.
People that look for "character development", "drama" and all other snobby stuff that makes a "good movie"...Why bother watching in the first place? You did get an idea what this franchise is about in the first installment...why sit through the next two if you were so disappointed? What these movies are meant to be is fun, beer drinking and entertaining,face punching, kicking,blowing up stuff and cheesy one liners. Just up the alley of an old fart that truly enjoyed the blow'em up movies in the 80's.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive