AfterDawn: Tech news

PlayStation Home shuttering in March

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Sep 2014 11:30 User comments (9)

PlayStation Home shuttering in March

Sony has announced that its PlayStation Home service will be shuttering in March.
Says the company: "Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12. Gamers in Europe, the US and Canada will be able to download content until December 3. As a token of our tremendous gratitude to the community, we will also be releasing a series of free content prior to the platform's closure on March 31, 2015."

Home is a virtual 3D social gaming platform that allows you to create your own avatar/sim which has its own apartment that you can furnish and fix up. You can travel the world which was updated by Sony and partners. The open areas had ads from the companies.

Unfortunately, if you spent money on Home, you will not get any refunds. "Due to the progressive and innovative nature of the gaming industry, PlayStation is unable to refund on legacy platform or service experiences," added Sony.

Source:
Sony

Previous Next  

9 user comments

128.9.2014 18:03

Wow thats a rip off i knew they where going to shut down ps3 services just not this fast talk about being in a hurry to rush people into next gen

228.9.2014 22:54

I never used Playstation Home so no loss for me. I'm sure the PSN online gaming part will continue for a little while longer. It's already going on a year since PS4 was released so this isn't entirely unexpected.

329.9.2014 09:04

Sorry, but I hope that I haven't misunderstood something here, but are they saying that all the digital games that I purchased on the PS3 will no longer be available to me!?

429.9.2014 11:01

Quote:
Sorry, but I hope that I haven't misunderstood something here, but are they saying that all the digital games that I purchased on the PS3 will no longer be available to me!?

No, this has nothing to do with digital game purchases. PS Home was a virtual world you could access and spend $ towards microtransactions to beef up your home. It was meant as a meeting ground to connect with your friends online and show off a virtual world. Any items you obtained, spent $ on or otherwise within PS Home, will no longer be accessible by March 2015. This does not affect PSN, PS+ any game/movie/tv/music purchases.

529.9.2014 11:03

Phew!, thanks for that Mysttic. I can put AK47 down now, and cancel my route to Sony's headquarters.

629.9.2014 16:19

I still don't understand why anyone would pay real money to purchase items in a virtual world. "Look friends. My virtual character drives a Ferrari. It only cost $500...of my real money!" Sony, please shut down the service to stop people from being idiots.

730.9.2014 08:49

Sounds like The Sims to me.

830.9.2014 12:13

Originally posted by aw2600:
I still don't understand why anyone would pay real money to purchase items in a virtual world. "Look friends. My virtual character drives a Ferrari. It only cost $500...of my real money!" Sony, please shut down the service to stop people from being idiots.
Sadly, I have a friend that did just that; paid real money to decorate his virtual apartment. So sad. So damn sad....

95.10.2014 03:08

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
Originally posted by aw2600:
Sadly, I have a friend that did just that; paid real money to decorate his virtual apartment. So sad. So damn sad....
It's no worse than paying actual real money to buy content for that world of warcraft (as I've been told, never played this game as I have a life in the real world, lol).
Although I don't judge anyone for a bit of online gaming, spent a good few hours ranking up on cod myself.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive