AfterDawn: Tech news

Piracy: Police raid 121 homes for sharing illegally online

Written by James Delahunty @ 05 Nov 2014 7:20 User comments (7)

Piracy: Police raid 121 homes for sharing illegally online Police have targeted members of a file sharing forum called Boerse, searching 121 apartments in 14 states in Germany.
The raids were announced by the office of the Cologne public prosecutor on Tuesday. They targeted people allegedly sharing music, movies and other products illegally through a portal "boerse.bz."

More than 400 officers were involved in raids of 121 apartments across 14 states. The press release indicates that uploaders profited up to several thousand users per month from their activities.

The raids also turned up plenty of evidence, with computers, hard drives and plenty of optical media seized for further analysis. Some suspects reportedly have already displayed a willingness to cooperate with the investigation.

Press Release (.DE): www.presseportal.de

Previous Next  

7 user comments

16.11.2014 01:53

121 apartments? How many innocent people did you have to inconvenience?! And I thought we had problems in America. Wow...
Oh. This was across multiple states. My bad. Still unbelievable though. I mean, 400 cops? Shouldn't they be more concerned with, I don't know... Rapists? Murderers? Pedophiles? REAL Crimes?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Nov 2014 @ 1:56

26.11.2014 04:57

http://education.randmcnally.com/images...any_US_Size.png

Germany is a bit smaller than the US.

36.11.2014 11:06

Sorta puts things in perspective! ;)

46.11.2014 13:03

Looks like the German police also have too much time on their hands - just like the UK City Of London police and USA law enforcement. Perhaps their efforts would be better served by hunting down REAL criminals perpetrating REAL crimes, like murder, rape and burglary, to name but three. This waste of taxpayers' money is just posturing and grandstanding at the behest of the entertainment industry, who seem to regard police public servants as being their own private security force. The police must be delighted to boost their figures by going after easy targets. Not much investigative work involved and lots of pats on the back, I would imagine. Cynical? .....Me? .......Don't know how you can say such a thing!

56.11.2014 13:23

Originally posted by Dave1949:
Looks like the German police also have too much time on their hands - just like the UK City Of London police and USA law enforcement. Perhaps their efforts would be better served by hunting down REAL criminals perpetrating REAL crimes, like murder, rape and burglary, to name but three. This waste of taxpayers' money is just posturing and grandstanding at the behest of the entertainment industry, who seem to regard police public servants as being their own private security force. The police must be delighted to boost their figures by going after easy targets. Not much investigative work involved and lots of pats on the back, I would imagine. Cynical? .....Me? .......Don't know how you can say such a thing!

Excellent point of view! :D

67.11.2014 04:15

You do realize when you state they should be off looking for "real" criminals such as murders, rapists, burglary ect. Germany is no where near the rates in those categories as in the U.S. not to mention they have more cops than us. See for yourself: http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf...ed-States/Crime

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Nov 2014 @ 4:17

712.11.2014 00:57

Don't be too sure this is a freedom issue.....
the article glazes over it but it does state they were earning money to the tune of thousands of dollars

anyone selling bootleg movies SHOULD BE SHOT as far as i am concerned... they are the reason we cannot use our favorite web sites of old...
the RIAA claims they lose US$750 for each download... this claim is so obviously false that they would be laughed out of court. ...but when they can show that just one download results in hundreds, or even thousands of dollars earned (via the wholesale burning and sales of hundreds of bootleg CDs & DVDs) then that gives credence to the absurdity that the movie you and i download is worth twenty to 120 times what you and i would pay for a physical copy of the same movie

the real facts are that without previewing a movie first, i wouldn't pay more than a buck for most movies and my extensive DVD collection probably averages out to under 50 cents a title despite paying $25 for one title after i previewed it via a cam downloaded 6 months earlier (i buy a lot of double and triple features at the dollar store)(BTW: that $25 purchase did qualify me for a "free" dvd so that alone cut the price in half)

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive