AfterDawn: Tech news

Report: Apple to make Beats Music a pre-installed iOS app

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 19 Nov 2014 10:46 User comments (10)

Report: Apple to make Beats Music a pre-installed iOS app

According to multiple reports, Apple is looking to make their newly acquired Beats Music a pre-installed iOS app.
The update could come as soon as March, with the launch of a future version of iOS such as iOS 8.3.

Earlier this year, Apple acquired Beats for $3 billion in an effort to boost its streaming abilities. Beats is famous for its headphones, which are a hit among celebrities and consumers, but the streaming Beats Music service was only slowly gaining subscribers, with 250,000 registered as of May. Major rivals like Spotify have 50 million users (13 million paying), so Beats was playing catch up.

It is unclear whether Beats Music will replace another homescreen app for iOS (like iTunes Radio), or just be added on.

Source:
Financial Times

Previous Next  

10 user comments

119.11.2014 22:55

It better be removable.. People love to cause a bitchstorm when companies like Microsoft include a browser and media player in their desktop OS but seem content to let these tablet and mobile app stores control their devices. Apple is guilty of this more than Android/Google but Google is pretty bad too.

220.11.2014 07:47

Originally posted by bobiroc:
It better be removable.. People love to cause a bitchstorm when companies like Microsoft include a browser and media player in their desktop OS but seem content to let these tablet and mobile app stores control their devices. Apple is guilty of this more than Android/Google but Google is pretty bad too.
The iOS mediaplayer, music and browser app cant be deleted through normal means so I don't see why this one should be. The Microsoft issue was more because the browser and media player was integrated into the OS and couldn't be removed without screwing everything up (Windows Update was build on IE for example). I don't know whether they have the same on iOS.

321.11.2014 17:51

It's Apple. You can damn well be sure that, if it's an "official" iOS app, that you will NOT be able to remove it (without jailbreaking).

421.11.2014 19:46

Originally posted by Bozobub:
It's Apple. You can damn well be sure that, if it's an "official" iOS app, that you will NOT be able to remove it (without jailbreaking).
Well then when it happens it will be added to the group on my last page of apps called useless apple shit.

521.11.2014 20:39

This is why custom ROMs are really that cool, IMO. There's simply none of that mess. And if something DOES bother you, you can delete it. Or modify it. The abilty to under- and overclock phones is also pretty nice to have, underclocking especially so; it's very effective for reducing power consumption.

Too bad you can't really do that with iDevices ^^' .

622.11.2014 04:29

"Beats is famous for its headphones, which are a hit among celebrities and consumers"

Ignorant ones who don't care about wasting money on mediocre headphones just because they have Dr. Dre's name associated with them. They aren't bad, but you can get equivalent or better for a lot less.

722.11.2014 12:57

Beats is ghetto, and this implementation seems like a waste of time, money and resources as I'm still not sure what "beats music app" does that others don't.

I'm sure all the putzes that love crap like Beats just because they THINK it makes them cool will buy into this B.S.

823.11.2014 23:44

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:
"Beats is famous for its headphones, which are a hit among celebrities and consumers"

Ignorant ones who don't care about wasting money on mediocre headphones just because they have Dr. Dre's name associated with them. They aren't bad, but you can get equivalent or better for a lot less.
You couldn't be more correct. Beats headphone are expensive and sound horrible, mushy distorted bass with no mid to high audible frequencies. Why anyone would pay $300 for their junk is beyond me, chalk it up to the iPeople I guess. Beats however makes BOSE products look good though. LOL
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Nov 2014 @ 11:45

93.12.2014 10:23

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
Why anyone would pay $300 for their junk is beyond me, chalk it up to the iPeople I guess.
That has to be the dumbest comment I have ever read from you. What the hell does this have to do with people who own iDevices. Absolutely nothing. Apple has owned this company for like 5 minutes......the idiots that own these monstrosities have been buying them for a lot longer than that. They started selling them in 2008.... and Apple bought them in Aug of this year. DUMBASS!!!!

103.12.2014 17:27

Like I said iPeople won't get it and you just proved my point. LOL

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive