AfterDawn: Tech news

'Gangnam Style' forced YouTube to remake its view counter code

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 03 Dec 2014 11:14 User comments (4)

'Gangnam Style' forced YouTube to remake its view counter code

According to Google, PSY's 'Gangnam Style' reached a view count so high that it actually broke YouTube's view counter, forcing the company to upgrade its code.
Says the company:

"We never thought a video would be watched in numbers greater than a 32-bit integer (=2,147,483,647 views), but that was before we met PSY. "Gangnam Style" has been viewed so many times we had to upgrade to a 64-bit integer (9,223,372,036,854,775,808)!

Hover over the counter in PSY's video to see a little math magic and stay tuned for bigger and bigger numbers on YouTube."

The new updated storage can support 9 quintillion views, even though that never will never be hit.

Previous Next  

4 user comments

14.12.2014 02:05

While it is a catchy tune, I would suspect that 3/4's of the views for this is from hormone raging teens (and older farts too) ogling those super hot Korean babes and making donations to the "whack-off basket", thus also keeping Kleenex's bottom line healthy.

24.12.2014 15:55

I have to say although I heard the song, artist and dumba$$ old dance, I watched the video for the first time today after reading this article

... I didn't miss much. LOL

34.12.2014 19:19

Originally posted by g_slide:
I have to say although I heard the song, artist and dumba$$ old dance, I watched the video for the first time today after reading this article

But you gave it another view + on YT.

45.12.2014 18:25

Originally posted by DXR88:
Originally posted by g_slide:

But you gave it another view + on YT.
And so the ball keeps rolling along...

I wonder just how much $$$ this guy has made off of this one tune/video alone?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive