AfterDawn: Tech news

Lenovo recalling 500,000 laptop power cords due to spark, burn risk

Written by James Delahunty @ 10 Dec 2014 12:58 User comments (7)

Lenovo recalling 500,000 laptop power cords due to spark, burn risk

Lenovo has announced a recall of more than 500,000 power cords sold with IdeaPad products that have been deemed a safety risk.
The defective power cords were sold with IdeaPad computers between February 2011 and June 2012. The recall comes after consume complaints about the power cords overheating, and in cases melting, burning and throwing sparks.

The IdeaPads these defective cords were sold with include products in the B, G, S, U, V an d Z series, and some other Lenovo notebooks potentially were sold with the defective cord.

One quick way to tell if you might have a defective cord is to disconnect the cord from the AC adapter (power brick) and check to see if it has LS-15 stamped into the molding, as shown in the picture.

If so, then go to the Lenovo recall page and verify that you have a defective cord, then apply for a free replacement from Lenovo.

More here: 2014 POWER CORD RECALL (support.lenovo.com)

Tags: Lenovo
Previous Next  

7 user comments

111.12.2014 10:29

Nice article. I wouldn't have known otherwise. I just checked my wife's laptop and it does have the LS-15 power cord.

214.12.2014 06:24

My Lenovo netbook has that cord. When I went to the website and tried to enter the info it asked for the serial number, which was printed on a paper label on the bottom of the netbook and is now unreadable from being where my fingers touch it every time I pick it up. It seems here is where my recall ends.

314.12.2014 09:22

Originally posted by Dr_Shifty:
My Lenovo netbook has that cord. When I went to the website and tried to enter the info it asked for the serial number, which was printed on a paper label on the bottom of the netbook and is now unreadable from being where my fingers touch it every time I pick it up. It seems here is where my recall ends.
Just did a quick search and it looks like you can pull the netbook's serial number right from Windows.

This is just the first result I came across, so I'm not sure if it's outdated. If it doesn't work then maybe worth doing a more refined search: http://blogs.technet.com/b/aviraj/archi...-using-wmi.aspx

415.12.2014 03:51

Originally posted by bhetrick:
Just did a quick search and it looks like you can pull the netbook's serial number right from Windows.

This is just the first result I came across, so I'm not sure if it's outdated. If it doesn't work then maybe worth doing a more refined search: http://blogs.technet.com/b/aviraj/archi...-using-wmi.aspx
Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work for me.
I get the response, 'SerialNumber' but no number appears.
I will search further.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Dec 2014 @ 3:52

515.12.2014 03:59

Originally posted by bhetrick:

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work for me.
I get the response, 'SerialNumber' but no number appears.
I will search further.
That was quick. Seems the Lenovo S10-3 has a different command
>wmic baseboard get serialnumber

This is what worked for me.
Thanks for the heads up.

615.12.2014 09:57

Great. Glad it helped.

716.12.2014 06:52

It turns out my cable is not one of the sparky ones. Lucky me.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive