AfterDawn: Tech news

Google's data shows nobody has Android 5.0 Lollipop yet

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 08 Jan 2015 11:02 User comments (9)

Google's data shows nobody has Android 5.0 Lollipop yet

Google's latest Android update, 5.0 Lollipop, was installed on just 0.1 percent of active Android devices as of January 5th, a shockingly low number even for a new update.
The search giant unveiled the OS in mid-October, and it shipped with the Nexus 9 and the Nexus 6 in November. Other Nexus devices received the update by the end of November.

Android KitKat 4.4, is now up to 39.1 percent share of the fragmented market while Jelly Bean 4.1.x-4.3.x still has the lion's share at 46 percent.

Older devices continue to shock, with Android 2.2-4.0.x still controlling 15.9 percent share despite those operating systems being released in 2010 and 2011.

Source:
Google

Previous Next  

9 user comments

19.1.2015 07:57

I had lollipop on my HTC One and downgraded back to kitkat. The OS still has some battery draining issues mainly for me it was with the exchange services that I really need. Leaving the phone over night would deplete > 10% of battery life which doesnt make any sense. After switching back to KK that was like 1% if that. And the battery statistics was showing that the screen wasnt doing any of the draining which is crazy. I would say that you can blame android for this because newer products are still coming out with old software on it but the new high end products won't support a new OS thats still buggy (in my opinion) and the other cheapy products can handle the newer OS. Plus the the carriers are also slowing down this update process with there verification. Also there are manufacturers like samsung who seem to be really dumb to me, samsung has like 16 different models of the S5 and Im pretty sure not half of those will be updated.

29.1.2015 21:35

I haven't tired lollipop yet.

I'm also waiting to see what comes out device wise the nexus 6 hasn't come out yet the Galaxy note 4 doesn't come with lollipop.

The main reason is that Samsung haven't updated the UI yet to lollipop as lollipop actually has some things that they now do and also removes some the things samsung and HTC can do.

Also Samsung have a slight problem in that carriers aren't putting out new UI updates and holding off sometimes up to 1 and half years to put out the old update.

That's the main reason why their so many jelly bean devices still out there.

So at the Samsung Dev conference, Samsung from 2015 is going to start doing OTA updates so devices will be updated as that was one of the biggest problems for devs doing things on Samsung devices.

And it was putting them off from doing certain things on Android, like me I want to do an android app but there's little point in making an app past android 4.3 as I don't have an devices that have the newer androids on them.

So until lollipop is on new devices from the get go you won't see much for it.

39.1.2015 23:35

Good comment, xtago. I'm a Windows developer (client & service) who really wants to become an Android developer so I appreciate any insights. Cheers!

410.1.2015 07:43

Nexus 5 with lollipop and I couldn't be happier. For me, it has been buttery smooth. It finally feels as polished as iOS. Now if only Google would continue to produce a phone the same size as the Nexus 5 along side the larger Nexus 6.

510.1.2015 15:07

Honestly it depends on your hardware.

See i have a samsung galaxy note 8.0 and i decided to firmware update my device to lollipop using the sources from googles own developer site and forums.

After the update the o.s keeps displaying my device is overheating and auto shuts down applications funny it didn't do this with android 4.2.2 so i downgraded back and the problem went away as for battery drain turn of your bluetooth when not in use

611.1.2015 01:19

Then I can consider myself nobody? Nah.

Nexus 6 has been by far the best phone I've ever had. No hiccups.

@biglo30 you had a rooted version, I did the same with my HTC M7 and it gave a huge headache. Wait for the official release. You can't compare something that it is not out yet. Developers at XDA are doing good but with no official LP release it's hard to judge.

711.1.2015 07:42

true it really is hard to judge it works on some devices not all

811.1.2015 11:59

Likely because most people are wising up and realizing that despite the OS Android release......it's still slow-ass, bogged down, insecure, often unresponsive ANDROID!

All Androids suck big donkey balls! Terrible OS!

912.1.2015 14:44

I got the Nvidia Shield tablet over Xmas, it updated on it updated to Lollipop. It it considered one of the fastest tablets on the market, so it's hardware could be why as megadunderhead said

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive