AfterDawn: Tech news

Another month in and Android 5.0 Lollipop is still on under 2 percent of devices

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 02 Feb 2015 11:46 User comments (9)

Another month in and Android 5.0 Lollipop is still on under 2 percent of devices

As we have reported for the past few months, Google's latest version of Android is struggling to see adoption.
Into its third month of availability, the operating system is only installed on 1.6 percent of devices, a way lower figure than the install base for Android 2.3 Gingerbread, which was released in 2011.

Android 4.4 KitKat continued to take share, and now stands at 39.7 percent, still slightly below Jelly Bean, which encompasses Android 4.1-4.3.x and has 44.5 percent.

Lollipop remains available for very few devices, most notably Google's own Nexus line. Android 5.0 is easily the search giant's best mobile OS to date, and it is a shame that so few have been able to test it.

Source:
Google

Previous Next  

9 user comments

13.2.2015 09:15

What's the hold-up? I know carriers need to test, but this is getting ridiculous!

23.2.2015 15:44

How is this a surprise to everyone......IT SHOULDN'T BE!!!!!!

Unless your a learning-deficient retard, one should expect that Android releases are EXTREMELY slow to adopt by the carriers. Always been that way and always will.

Because Android is absolute CRAP!. Slow, insecure and a bloatware beast!

Ditch the cell phone and remember what it's like to have a conversation, pay attention to the road and dine out with someone w/o cell on table.

Turned off cell almost 2 years ago and NEVER looking back.

Cell phones and plans alike are a ripoff and absolute garbage. I'm dumbfounded at how many sheeple can't live with their cell, only to have it virtually useless 2 years later because it become obsolete or something more interesting and expensive comes out.

Cellular addicts are morons! Any addict is a moron for all intents and purposes.

33.2.2015 21:20

Nice post, Hearme. I can only hope that one day I will grow up and be smarter and superior to everyone else like you are; but I know that's unlikely as you will always be #1.

43.2.2015 22:28

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
Nice post, Hearme. I can only hope that one day I will grow up and be smarter and superior to everyone else like you are; but I know that's unlikely as you will always be #1.
Such words could never be truer. ;)

54.2.2015 01:23

Working with special needs people for years has helped me to understand that when someone says an antiquated statement such as "learning-deficient retard" it is difficult to take their opinion seriously. Such an ignorant term makes it difficult to take you seriously since your argument is overshadowed by such a disrespectful attitude towards mothers, fathers, sons & daughters who are all differently challenged, have fantastic strengths to offer & still endure ridicule from people who haven't left the 19th century never mind progressed to the 21st.

While you may think it's only a word and has nothing to do with this conversation please take a moment to consider restructuring your terminology in order to take your valid argument in a mature way.

64.2.2015 08:56

Originally posted by hearme0:
Unless your a learning-deficient retard,

*you're

74.2.2015 16:56

Wow I forgot what the article was about and had to go back up and look. Don't feed the trolls!

At any rate I have been waiting forever for Cyanogenmod to get it out there for the S3. It does seem to be dragging on more than usual though.

85.2.2015 02:06

Originally posted by hearme0:
How is this a surprise to everyone......IT SHOULDN'T BE!!!!!!

Unless your a learning-deficient retard, one should expect that Android releases are EXTREMELY slow to adopt by the carriers. Always been that way and always will.

Because Android is absolute CRAP!. Slow, insecure and a bloatware beast!

Ditch the cell phone and remember what it's like to have a conversation, pay attention to the road and dine out with someone w/o cell on table.

Turned off cell almost 2 years ago and NEVER looking back.

Cell phones and plans alike are a ripoff and absolute garbage. I'm dumbfounded at how many sheeple can't live with their cell, only to have it virtually useless 2 years later because it become obsolete or something more interesting and expensive comes out.

Cellular addicts are morons! Any addict is a moron for all intents and purposes.
What?? Sounds like you haven't left the house in years and are stuck on the internet 24 hours a day. I like the screen name, hearme0. What it should be is hermie0 because you type like an arrogant, judgmental prick of a hermit.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Feb 2015 @ 2:07

96.2.2015 15:24

Originally posted by ajsmsg78:

What?? Sounds like you haven't left the house in years and are stuck on the internet 24 hours a day. I like the screen name, hearme0. What it should be is hermie0 because you type like an arrogant, judgmental prick of a hermit.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive