AfterDawn: Tech news

AT&T will match Google Fiber's 1Gb speed, price in Kansas City

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Feb 2015 10:14 User comments (7)

AT&T will match Google Fiber's 1Gb speed, price in Kansas City

Starting this weekend, ISP AT&T has announced it will match Google Fiber's speed and price in Kansas City.
Google Fiber costs just $70 a month and offers 1Gb/s download speeds, far and away the fastest operator in the nation that averages about 10Mb/s downloads.

AT&T is not the only ISP feeling Google's squeeze. Time Warner has quietly tripled their speeds in Kansas City without raising the price a cent. Small regional ISP Consolidated Communications has also begun offering a gigabit fiber service for $69.95.

Google Fiber is available in 3 regions now, with 4 more coming in the very near future and 5 other regions already announced.

Dear Google, New York desperately awaits your arrival.

Source:
Verge

Previous Next  

7 user comments

119.2.2015 00:12

Found out yesterday from a credible source that Google has deal with government to provide fiber to SECOND TIER CITIES ONLY. Chicago, LA, NY, Detroit, Atlanta won't get. Memphis, Kansas City, Tulsa are the 2nd tiers 'types' that will so GIVE IT UP NEW YORK. You ain't gettin' it!

219.2.2015 01:57

Originally posted by hearme0:
Found out yesterday from a credible source that Google has deal with government to provide fiber to SECOND TIER CITIES ONLY. Chicago, LA, NY, Detroit, Atlanta won't get. Memphis, Kansas City, Tulsa are the 2nd tiers 'types' that will so GIVE IT UP NEW YORK. You ain't gettin' it!
Portland and San Jose are second tier types now? and Atlanta is on there planned build map..

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

319.2.2015 02:30

Proving once again that AT&T isn't looking to bring anything new to the table, AT&T fails to announce any improvements except in those few markets in which the competition has dragged AT&T kicking and screaming into implementing current technology.

I had AT&T DSL for many years. Three years ago, I kicked them to the curb because the highest DSL speed they offered at my home was a measly 5 Mbps, because even that was very intermittent and problematic, and because AT&T would never fix the problems with their wires despite many service calls. I made the switch to Cox, and now enjoy 150 Mbps and a much higher degree of reliability.

To this day, AT&T still offers a mere 5 Mbps in my area. They should be embarrassed.

419.2.2015 11:57

Originally posted by SoTired:

To this day, AT&T still offers a mere 5 Mbps in my area. They should be embarrassed.
I've never had good service with AT&T either. I switched to Time Warner a good 10+ years ago. To this day AT&T is only offering a measly 12 Mbps. I've been enjoying 190-314 Mbps with TWC and 18-21 Mbps up.

I would prefer something more like 150/150, but I can live with 300/20! haha

519.2.2015 16:28

Originally posted by dude845:
Originally posted by hearme0:
Portland and San Jose are second tier types now? and Atlanta is on there planned build map..

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

Sorry but I was merely speculating about the "2nd tier cities" as I don't truly know what THEY consider "2nd tier". I do know that Kansas and San Jose are 2nd tier and seemingly Atlanta is considered one too. Phoenix as well so perhaps primary tier cities are only the main 3.

Regardless, NY is not gonna get Google Fiber most likely.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Feb 2015 @ 4:30

620.2.2015 00:44

"Dear Google, New York desperately awaits your arrival."

Google... San Diego is also desperately awaiting your arrival. Please don't leave us hanging.

727.2.2015 18:46

this is the problem with ISP's... they (AT&T & Time Warner) are showing they can do high speed and at a decent price, but will only do it if Fiber is in the city? why cant they roll it out to other cities if they have it working?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive