AfterDawn: Tech news

Google: Hey carriers, we will pay you to use Google Wallet again

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 Feb 2015 10:31 User comments (7)

Google: Hey carriers, we will pay you to use Google Wallet again

Google wants its failed Google Wallet service to be able to compete against the popular Apple Pay mobile payments system, and could be willing to pay for it.
The search giant is hoping to unveil a new version of the payment service at its developer conference later this year, one that will include partnerships with carriers, OEMs and more importantly, banks and payment networks.

To be able to make such an event happen, the WSJ suggests that Google will have to offer more revenue to each player involved.

The biggest problem, at this point, is the fact that there are dozens of Android manufacturers, and none of them necessarily have loyalty to Google outside of using the Android operating system. Many use their own user interface and have pre-loaded apps that benefit the company's own ecosystem.

Samsung, the world's biggest smartphone maker, is expected to release its own payment service next month after completing its acquisition of LoopPay. After investing hundreds of millions on such a service, there is little incentive to team up with Google Wallet.

Apple, which controls the software ecosystem and the hardware, does not have such problems. Apple Pay, after just months of release, now accounts for over 65 percent of all contact-less payments.

Google may have to pay up to get into the game. In 2010, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile created Isis (now Softcard) as their own mobile payments service but it never gained any traction and now sits as a money pit. Google appears to be ready to purchase Softcard to gain access to the carriers and an existing service. The carriers do not get any revenue from Apple Pay, but Google is willing to split some ad revenue if the Wallet app is featured prominently on Android phones and in marketing campaigns.

Source:
WSJ

Previous Next  

7 user comments

122.2.2015 02:24

I am amazed how hard it is to get people to try it. Buying things with it might be hard but the speed and ease of sending money to friends and family is amazing.

I wish Google luck on this one and I hope the service dose not go away.

222.2.2015 03:12

Poor Google!

322.2.2015 20:17

Should have gotten android hardware manufactures to implement better bio-metric scanners in their devices similar to the touch ID because people like things that are easier because their so lazy. Samsung tried the cheap way and it just isn't paying off. People don't want to swipe their finger repeatedly even if it isn't that hard.

423.2.2015 23:28

If Google couldn't do this then what on God's green earth leads Apple to think they can?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN for either in our lifetimes.

That's my prediction.

Society is too interested in "hands-on" when it comes to money and related dealings.

This is entirely "Hands-off" and has a shitstorm of room for manipulation and compromise. People just aren't interested in that. Some are of course but not the vast majority by any stretch.

524.2.2015 12:44

For me I am amazed people use checks and credit cards. Both systems are amazingly easy to take advantage of. I am not sure the new systems are the perfect replacement but given a chance I will be happy to switch. Until then I will just use it to send money to friends and family.

624.2.2015 15:16

Originally posted by lamain:
For me I am amazed people use checks and credit cards. Both systems are amazingly easy to take advantage of. I am not sure the new systems are the perfect replacement but given a chance I will be happy to switch. Until then I will just use it to send money to friends and family.

Except that who cares about credit/debit cards being "easily taken advantage of". The banks cover ALL fraudulent activity so what do you care if it has vulnerabilities??

And you're completely and ridiculously diluted if you truly believe that CC and checks have more room for abuse than that of electronic payments!

Not to mention credit cards build credit worthiness. Perhaps you don't deal in CC or care about 'credit'.......usually due to people sucking at finances and totally irresponsible.

Because you have this thought process, I'm gonna kindly ask you to STAY OUT OF THE FIELD OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND LEAVE TO US PROFESSIONALS.

Thank you!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Feb 2015 @ 3:17

724.2.2015 15:42

Originally posted by hearme0:

Except that who cares about credit/debit cards being "easily taken advantage of". The banks cover ALL fraudulent activity so what do you care if it has vulnerabilities??

Well other then the cost of that fraud is paid by someone it also has a risk to mess up your vacation, special dinner, etc.

And you're completely and ridiculously diluted if you truly believe that CC and checks have more room for abuse than that of electronic payments!
I think the type of abuse changes. The skill needed to abuse a check or credit card opens it up to anyone. The new system definitely needs more tech knowledge. But I am well aware that it also opens up a whole new level of risk. If you use your credit card though with the new system and not your bank account then you have the same coverage you would have with the old system.

Not to mention credit cards build credit worthiness. Perhaps you don't deal in CC or care about 'credit'.......usually due to people sucking at finances and totally irresponsible.

Because you have this thought process, I'm gonna kindly ask you to STAY OUT OF THE FIELD OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND LEAVE TO US PROFESSIONALS.

Thank you!

Not sure what to say about this. I have no intention of talking about my finances here that is for sure. It seems to me though that you are reluctant to see the current system change and the idea that me staying out of it will somehow stop it from changing is a little humorous.

That said I personally have no issues with someone not wanting the system to change. But maybe that is because I know it will change anyways.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive