AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung seeing record pre-orders for Galaxy S6, Edge

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 10 Mar 2015 10:26 User comments (5)

Samsung seeing record pre-orders for Galaxy S6, Edge Samsung has announced record pre-orders for their upcoming Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge phones, with figures that could potentially rival the iPhone.
"Samsung received some 20 million pre-orders for the S6 and S6 Edge _ 15 million of S6 and five million of the S6 Edge from mobile carriers, worldwide. This is the record," said an executive at the company.

That executive remained off the record but Samsung mobile boss Shin Jong-kyun seemingly confirmed the reports. "To be honest, pre-orders of the two Galaxy variants from our major clients are really huge," Shin said.

Besides the increase in sales, Samsung will be making more money per device, as well, having moved the processor from Qualcomm to their own in-house Exynos line. Industry watchers say the move could give the company over $20 more in profits per device.

The new devices are powerful, and feature metal and glass designs compared to the plastic of previous models that many were starting to consider 'cheap' especially when compared to the latest iPhones. The S6 has a 5.1-inch OLED QHD display, up to 128GB internal memory, 3GB RAM, 16/5 MP cameras, a fingerprint scanner, curved glass on the fron and will launch with Android 5.0 with Samsung's own UI on top.

Source:
KT

Previous Next  

5 user comments

111.3.2015 16:02

So, what is the launch date?

211.3.2015 19:57

Originally posted by oneguy:
So, what is the launch date?
April 9th or 10th as I recall.

However, I'm amazed at all the dumbshits that preorder this at full price for like 1100.00 bucks only to have another phone in mind 2 years down the road.

Hefty rental price BUT, for those types of people, who is surprised? No doubt the same people that are on unemployment or have other more pressing financial obligations that they SHOULD deal with but instead are putting on the back burner to buy this and are truly "Ghetto rich" (using a more P.C. term than the 'other' one)

312.3.2015 09:30

I own a S4 and S5. They will be the last Samsung smartphones I will purchase. Can't remove the back = no battery exchange and no µSD. It was a tinkerers dream phone. Now it's another iPhone sporting an Android OS. If I wanted the limited functionality of an iPhone I'd buy one. Samsung has lost a customer.

412.3.2015 14:23

Originally posted by cpviolation:
I own a S4 and S5. They will be the last Samsung smartphones I will purchase. Can't remove the back = no battery exchange and no µSD. It was a tinkerers dream phone. Now it's another iPhone sporting an Android OS. If I wanted the limited functionality of an iPhone I'd buy one. Samsung has lost a customer.
I agree with you 100% I have the S5, I cant up grade for 14 months but even if I could now I would not buy an S6 .

I could live with out the battery being removable , But I must have a SD Card slot ...So I as well will say "SAMSUNG" "If I wanted a iPHONE I would buy one" the S7 best have a SD card slot or I am jumping the Samsung ship.

512.3.2015 15:31

I agree with you guys, lets just hope the Note line does not go this route. The S series is officially lost for all the power users, I have the Note 4 and love it. If the Note 5 follows this S6 trend then I have also bought my last Samsung android phone and will move on to better pastures.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive