1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rebuilder vs dvd2dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by lowriderz, Jul 30, 2004.

1. lowriderz

lowriderz Member

I just had a question as to which of these programs is better since both of them can use cce to encode. Also i have read that cce does nort work with hyper threading my pc has a p4 3.0 ghz hyperthreading. could i still use the programs to make backups or will i run into problems.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

First off, CCE will still work with your CPU. According to Custom Technology (makers of CCE) it doesn't support the hyperthreading, but it will still work. According to some users on Doom9 it will still speed up encoding, but not having one I can't verify that personally. If you can set the affinity of different applications like you can on actual multi-processor systems, you should still be able to get a speed increase by setting AviSynth to use the extra virtual CPU. Even if you can't take advantage of Hyperthreading at all, your CPU should give you very nice speeds anyway.

As to which program is better, I'm getting ready to try out DVD2DVDR today. I'll let you know what I think about it.

3. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

If you want a "movie only" backup there is nothing better than DVD2DVD-R.
    1) It never fails, no errors...
    2) Size is always on the mark, never a single problem
    3) Quality is great
    4) It does everything, except burn the movie for you
    5) Once you set it right, it takes no more than 1 minute to start encoding
    6) If you use AnyDVD it can encode direclty from DVD

DVD Rebuilder...
    I have barely done my first movie the other day and here are some of the advantages I see over DVD2DVD-R

1) Can do multiple episode DVDs
    2) Keeps menus & Extras

Dislikes...
    1) Kind of difficult to configure the first time
    2) Does not let you select what subtitles/language to keep when selecting source of movie unlike DVD2DVD-R

That's it for now... they are both good programs!

Cheers,
    Adonis

4. erdoke

erdoke Guest

Two more advantages to add:
    - Rebuilder/CCE encoding can be stopped at any time. It is able to resume it from almost the same point.
    - Requires much less HD space.

Not so difficult to configure and it does let you select which audio streams/subtitles to keep. :eek:)

Otherwise I perfectly agree, DVD2DVDR is perfect when none of the above RB advantages are important.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Today it's the beginning of the rest of your life.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2004
  5. vurbal

I didn't actually use it because I got an error from my version of CCE Basic, and I'm not willing to downgrade for it. In my case, it was also a bit of a problem that it changed my AviSynth plugins directory to its own without asking (or even telling) me. Having said that, however, it seems to be a good program that should give you high quality encodes. One thing I'd add to the list of benefits to DVD-RB is that it's the only CCE based solution that can properly handle hybrid (mixed film and video) DVDs. AFAIK all other methods will either give you film improperly encoded as video or video improperly encoded as film.

6. erdoke

erdoke Guest

It is interesting to read about your problems of the instalaltion of DVD2DVDR. I started using it well before RB appeared and do not have any problems since I began with RB. Maybe the order of installation?
    DVD2DVDR utilizes DVD2AVI for demultiplexing, it is some ways incorporated into the program.
    I only "upgraded" to RB because of the possibility to keep the menus (keeping extras kicks back on movie quality too much), but it is not so simple to do that. Many movies will collapse as far as the correct DVD structure concerned when editing out many title sets and menu links. In this occasion RB will give you an incorrect DVDR size. I hope this will be esolved in future releases.
    (Sorry if my English is not fully clear sometimes, I'm tryin')

7. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

erdoke: I stand corrected my friend :O) I thought about this last night when I was doing a DVD in RB and saw that yes, I can actually choose what to keep.

vurbal: Which app did you have that problem with? What I like about DVD2DVD-R is that it comes as a package, everything you need is installed with the original installation of the program so that can be an advantage over RB. Also, it doesn't require you to mess with any other app other than the actual app itself, it has a built in encoder if you don't want to use CCE.

I have been using DVD2DVD-R since its early stages, and it is now pretty much complete... it doesn't lack anything for what its supposed to do. Rebuilder on the other hand is not completely done, it is still a "beta" release so I am sure it will continue to improve if people donate some $$$$$ to encourage the developer to continue working on it.

Later,
    Adonis
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Burn, baby, BURN!"[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2004
  8. lowriderz

lowriderz Member

i just wnat to thank everybody for the info i found it helpful so thanks again

9. vurbal

The big problem I had was that it doesn't support the latest versions of CCE Basic. Other than that, I'm not happy with the fact that it automatically sets AviSynth to use its plugin directory instead of asking if you want to keep the one you already have. The second problem in particular wouldn't affect too many people because they don't need to worry about the plugins directory for anything else, but for me it's very annoying (although still fixable). If support is added for my version of CCE Basic I'll probably give it a try again just to see how I like it, but as I said before, I won't downgrade CCE for it.

10. erdoke

erdoke Guest

Upgrade to CCE SP, that's only a couple of bucks... :D
    In fact the trial version works for a couple of weeks fully functional and the blue "Demo" sign does not affect much judging the quality.

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The main reason for using cce is so you can encode a full DVD with a top quality picture.
    A movie only app kind of defeats this purpose.

When rebuilder is cofigured right all you have to do is put in the DVD in then open RB then hit transcode.
    It will churn away until your ready to burn. You can't get much simpler.

So I can't see any reason to use DVD2DVD-R.
    If you want movie only just ripp the movie only. Rebuilder still works fine.

12. erdoke

erdoke Guest

You just forget that DVD2DVDR was on the market much earlier using CCE as encoder than RB. I have been doing CCE backups with it long before RB had appeared.
    If you have long movies to backup it is still wise to drop menus and extras to keep all the movie on one disk. I do it even with rebuilder. (Menus and extras can be 2 GB on a DVD which steal space only from your picture as no backup tool deals with the sound yet)
    So I do not understan what you do not understand. ;o)

13. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I just meant that if you have rebuilder there is no use for dvd2dvd-r. It is easy and no functionality is lost. You can still do movie only.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  14. erdoke

erdoke Guest

I am a RB fan too, but it has bugs and misses some features compared to DVD2DVDR. If you want to backup movie only, DVD2DVDR is a better and more simple solution yet, but I am pretty sure that it will change shortly as RB improves. DVD2DVDR improvements seem to be stopped for a while.

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For reference what does dvd2dvd-r have that RB doesn't.

16. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

Donald, how would you go about doing a movie-only backup with DVD RB?

17. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

DVD2DVD-R is more reliable and has less bugs than RB for now because it has been around for a while.... nothing beats it for "movie only" fans like myself because the more junk dropped the better quality of the final product.

If you want to do "Movie only" backup with RB I'd use Titleset Blanker to get rid of everything else but the main movie files and from there on is business as usual.On the other hand consider using DVD2DVD-R as this step won't be necessary, afterall, movie only is what this app is all about and combined together with AnyDVD saves you from ripping to HD.

Later
    Adonis
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Burn, baby, BURN!"[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
  18. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Thanks 1Adonis4u.

If doing movie-only backups with DVD RB requires the use of an external program, I'd rather stick to DVD2DVD-R. ;)

19. Chip718

Chip718 Guest

Hi. I am new to using DVD2DVD-R and I hope someone could help me out. In the past I have been using Shrink and DVDFab, but I heard a lot of great things about the quality of the backups when using CCE and DVD2DVD-R so I decided to give it a shot. I was only able to find 1 tutorial http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/thedefinitivedvd/dvd2dvd-r.htm. Whenever I use CCE my CPU temperature, which usually is around 100F shoots up to about 128F. Is this normal? When I tried using DVD2DVD-R internal encoder there was no temperature change. I know how long CCE takes, and I am kind of nervous having the CPU burn at that temperature for that long of a time. Any info would really be appreciated Thanks in advance.

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4HT, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Intel Bonanza D875PBZ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Canterwood i875P

20. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi Chip718. :)

Like most encoders and transcoders, CCE is very CPU intensive.
    I can only suggest you upgrade your cooling system (more efficient fans), or try and leave your PC side(s) opened. ;)