AfterDawn: Tech news

Torrent scene group YIFY shuts down permanently

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 31 Oct 2015 6:35 User comments (5)

Torrent scene group YIFY shuts down permanently One of the most popular scene groups, YIFY, has shut down permanently.
The group took down their YTS website yesterday, and Ernesto confirmed with the group that is indeed down for good.

YIFY has shared over 6000 movies since starting in 2010, and the films were popular due to the quality of the release and their encode size.

At the same time, Popcorn Time was backed primarily by YIFY releases and that service was already having its own issues before this latest news.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

131.10.2015 23:30

Oh, I am so very sorry to see them go. Goodbye Yify. You will be missed.

21.11.2015 12:15

I'm sure someone will step in and fill the void.

31.11.2015 18:42

Firstly, I want to say thanks for all the effort put forth from Yify. But.. I have an 8 speaker setup around the living room with full 7.1 channel processing. It took me a while to realize that Yify encoded ALL their movies in 2 channel audio. Hence why small file sizes. I use MediaInfo to check now for audio channels and codecs. Again, thank you Yify, but sorry, I'll pass with the 2 channel processing.

43.11.2015 18:07

Originally posted by doowop72:
Firstly, I want to say thanks for all the effort put forth from Yify. But.. I have an 8 speaker setup around the living room with full 7.1 channel processing. It took me a while to realize that Yify encoded ALL their movies in 2 channel audio. Hence why small file sizes. I use MediaInfo to check now for audio channels and codecs. Again, thank you Yify, but sorry, I'll pass with the 2 channel processing.
Where Yify excelled at was the portability factor; the small file size makes them ideal for use on tablets/ laptops, etc...I've watched them on my home theater system, as well and you're right; two channel sound isn't ideal, but on a tablet with some headphones on long plane rides, it couldn't be beat.

54.11.2015 13:36

Turns out some kiwi's were involved or were running it ?

Hollywood studios have shut down a huge global piracy website being run from a house in suburban Auckland.

Local representatives of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) revealed the unnamed owner of the operation was the subject of a multi-million lawsuit lodged with the High Court on October 12.

The lawsuit was settled out of court and studios are declining to identify the New Zealander who ran the operation - called YTS - and the associated outfit - called YIFY.

According to the MPAA the Mt Wellington house was the base for one of the world's most prolific groups involved in the illegal replication of copyrighted content offering over 4500 infringing movie titles online.

Due to the secrecy over the deal the Herald has been unable to reach the man and get his version of events, but the closure of YTS is the biggest ever action against a movie pirating operation In New Zealand.

YTS "existed for the sole purpose of distributing motion pictures on a massive scale online while providing illicit profits to the operator of the website," said Matthew Cheetham, managing director for the New Zealand Screen Association, the local representatives of the MPAA.

He said the Mt Wellington operation distributing movies by bit torrent technology was substantial in global terms.

Mr Cheetham said that studio's investigations found there were 3.4 million unique visitors for the New Zealand website in August and 43 million views, though he declined to say how this was collated.

Many of the movies distributed on the internet by bit torrent technology were Hollywood blockbusters.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news...jectid=11540096

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Nov 2015 @ 1:37

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive