AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple's new tech will automatically scan songs and remove curses

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 03 Apr 2016 12:27 User comments (16)

Apple's new tech will automatically scan songs and remove curses Apple has been granted a patent for "Management, Replacement and Removal of Explicit Lyrics during Audio Playback," giving the company technology that will automatically scan any streaming song online and remove any curses.
The company filed for the patent in September 2014, in efforts to make streaming services more family-friendly.

Apple says the tech can actually replace the swear words with beeping noises or with non-curse lyrics, similar to how cable channels replace curses when playing movies. Additionally, Apple says the tech is powerful enough to remove the words completely, leaving the background music to continue to play seamlessly.

Finally, Apple's patent also extends to audio books, suggesting Apple could edit out swear words or other explicit scenes from audio books to make them more child and young adult-friendly.

Source:
BI

Previous Next  

16 user comments

13.4.2016 18:33

If this is an optional "feature", then I have no problems with it. Otherwise, oh, HELL no!
"Huck Finn" without the word "n*gger" is missing the entire point of the novel, for example.

24.4.2016 03:21

Yea, Sorry Apple....I'm not a baby.

34.4.2016 09:01

Glad I Am not an apple fan...I may not have much music with such words in it but I dont want big brother or should I say the BIG APPLE controlling what I can and Can't listen to After all I am 53...not 5 and 1/2.

44.4.2016 17:05

Gents, I'm no fan of Apple but in their defense, this tech just give you the option of censorship. Source

54.4.2016 17:16

Originally posted by Bozobub:
If this is an optional "feature", then I have no problems with it.

^^'

65.4.2016 17:23

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
Gents, I'm no fan of Apple but in their defense, this tech just give you the option of censorship. Source

I'm SERIOUSLY doubting your take of "this tech just gives you the option..."

How do you know this and perhaps you can document exactly where it states that this is an optional feature and not implemented all over.

From reading the article, I'm inclined to think they'll try to put this in every phone NOT as an option.

75.4.2016 18:22

Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by DarthMopar:

I'm SERIOUSLY doubting your take of "this tech just gives you the option..."

How do you know this and perhaps you can document exactly where it states that this is an optional feature and not implemented all over.

From reading the article, I'm inclined to think they'll try to put this in every phone NOT as an option.

"Apple wants to you to be able to manage, replace, and remove explicit lyrics during playback of songs on iTunes."
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Apr 2016 @ 7:34

85.4.2016 18:28

Hearme0,from what I gathered in a quick search, the service will be optional via a toggle under the restrictions. Not that I use iTunes, but involuntary censorship would be asking for mass lawsuits.

95.4.2016 19:36

Dear Apple....
Parents should monitor their kids not you...

Cee Lo Green (Written by Bruno Mars)
Fuck You Lyrics
Lady Killer

See you driving 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like
Fuck you
(Ooh, ooh, ooh)
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough, I'm like
Fuck you
And forget her too

Said, if I was richer
I'd still be with ya
Ha, oh ain't that some ssh
(Ain't that some ssh)
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a
Fuck you
(Ooh, ooh, ooh)

Yeah I'm sorry, I can't afford a Ferrari
But that don't mean I can't get you there
I guess he's an X-box, and I'm more Atari
But the way you play your game ain't fair

I pity the fool that falls in love with you oh
(Oh ssh she's a gold digger)
Well
(Just thought you should know n**a)
Ooh, ooh, oh
I've got some news for you
Yeah go run and tell your little boyfriend

Fuck you
(Ooh, ooh, ooh)
Wasn't enough, I'm like
Fuck you
And forget her too

Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
Ha, ain't that some ssh
(Ain't that some ssh)
Fuck you
(Ooh, ooh, ooh)

Now I know, that I had to borrow
Beg and steal and lie and cheat
Trying to keep ya, trying to please ya
'Cause being in love with yo ass ain't cheap

I pity the fool that falls in love with you oh
(Oh ssh she's a gold digger)
Well
(Just thought you should know n**a)
Ooh, ooh, oh
I've got some news for you
Ooh I really hate your ass right now

Fuck you
(Ooh, ooh, ooh)
Wasn't enough, I'm like
Fuck you
And forget her too

Ha, oh ain't that some ssh
(Ain't that some ssh)
Fuck you
Ooh, ooh, ooh

Now baby, baby, baby, why'd you wanna wanna hurt me so bad?
(so bad, so bad, so bad)
I tried to tell my mamma but she told me
"This is one for your dad"
(Your dad, your dad, your dad)
Yes she did
Uh, why? Uh, why? Uh
Why lady? Oh, I love you
I still love you, oh

I see you driving 'round town
Fuck you
(Ooh, ooh, ooh)
Wasn't enough, I'm like
Fuck you
And forget her too

Ha, ain't that some shh
(Ain't that some shh)
Fuck you
Ooh, ooh, ooh

105.4.2016 20:17

While I actually like the song quite a bit, dude, violating site rules isn't a great idea; it ain't "censorship" on any privately-owned milieu. This IS a family site, don't be a twit.

115.4.2016 20:38

While I actually like the song quite a bit, dude, violating site rules isn't a great idea; it ain't "censorship" on any privately-owned milieu. This IS a family site, don't be a twit.
A twit?
Okay, next time I will #*#@@.
Jeff

126.4.2016 00:04

Yes, a twit. Read the site rules, perhaps? Only a silly twit wouldn't before posting, wouldn't you agree?

After Dawn doesn't directly censor while you post, but mods can and will delete your content, and/or ban you, if they see fit. It is what it is; it's not unreasonable to ask people to keep it at least slightly civil, and this is meant to be an all-ages forum.

I'm no mod and I generally don't report posts, but please keep the foul language to a minimum.

136.4.2016 09:51

Yes, a twit. Read the site rules, perhaps? Only a silly twit wouldn't before posting, wouldn't you agree?

After Dawn doesn't directly censor while you post, but mods can and will delete your content, and/or ban you, if they see fit. It is what it is; it's not unreasonable to ask people to keep it at least slightly civil, and this is meant to be an all-ages forum.

I'm no mod and I generally don't report posts, but please keep the foul language to a minimum.
Sir, you made your point. Twit is some British thingy. Have a nice day.

147.4.2016 20:14

If it really is an option AND is off by default, I guess it is no more damaging than the parents that would buy Apple products for their children. Still a bit worrisome for a reason that Apple put forward in the whole FBI case; once something exists, it is only a matter of time before it is in the wild and used for nefarious purposes. Will China demand it is turned on for audiobooks, replacing words to prevent people from thinking and realizing that they have only the worst parts of communism? Will Russia force it to be turned on to filter out references to LGBT people? It really isn't that far-fetched.

158.4.2016 00:30

Voluntary censorship is like voluntary self-mutilation....what's next !?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Apr 2016 @ 12:33

1615.4.2016 23:33

“Yippee-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon” :D

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive