AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft: "We're committed to Windows 10 Mobile"

Written by Matti Robinson @ 27 Apr 2016 2:15 User comments (3)

Microsoft: "We're committed to Windows 10 Mobile" Microsoft hasn't seemed too interested in smartphones after acquiring Nokia's mobile phone business. Oddly the number of phones released has dropped drastically, even though Windows 10 should be living its heyday.
The executive VP of Devices and Windows, Terry Myerson, has however sent an email to employees assuring that smartphones have not been forgotten. In the email Myerson explains how Microsoft is still dedicated to developing Windows 10 as a mobile operating system.

Even more specifically, he says that Microsoft is going to make Windows 10 for small devices with ARM chips.

The company is obviously trying to calm the employees down after a horrific decline in Windows Phone sales. Just couple days ago Microsoft reported a 73 percent decline in quantity and nearly 50 percent decline in Windows Phone revenue.

According to the rumors, Microsoft is shifting smartphone strategy and moving them under the more successful Surface brand in 2017.

Previous Next  

3 user comments

127.4.2016 19:04

And if one was to say John or Sally were committed last night, most would consider they are crazy?

25.5.2016 07:41

Honestly i have had no problems with windows phone os 10 but this was only a short stop until they fixed the s6 and added a microsd card slot back so my next phone will be a s7 because i really am not impressed with the lack of apps

36.5.2016 15:10

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
Honestly i have had no problems with windows phone os 10 but this was only a short stop until they fixed the s6 and added a microsd card slot back so my next phone will be a s7 because i really am not impressed with the lack of apps

I have two phones, Lumia 950 XL and S7 Edge. The apps on Andriod devices are nice, but after using that phone I quickly took out the sim card and inserted it into the sim2 on the 950XL. It is a way better phone that the S7. However, the look and feel of the S7 Edge is great. If Microsoft makes a Surface phone out of something other than plastic and get a few more apps onboard it will be great. The only apps that I don't have that I want on the Windows platform now is Square and SiriusXM. Outside of that, they have everything I need.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive